Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    No man. Cavani is good, obviously, but way too inconsistent. He's hit a good form over the last few games but he's been **** otherwise. Didn't you see him vs Chelsea or Barca? Reason why I would rather not go for him is because his price tag will be really ridiculous. He's worth like, £30m max right now imo.

Benteke has 11 goals in 9 games, and in a harder league too.. doesn't make him world class does it?

Honestly, I would be much much happier with Lacazette over Cavani

You mean the Cavani who's scored 28 goals in 49 games this season and 25 in 43 last year whilst playing the majority of his games on the wing to accomadate Ibrahimovic? Or the Cavani who, in his last 5 seasons, has scored 33, 33, 38, 25 and 28 goals, especially in Italy where it's notoriously hard to score? You'd be mad to turn him down, mad.

ReputationRep:
    Bit nervous about Swansea since theyre our bogey team really, they actually regularly outplay us in midfield which is annoying. At least no Bony though as he's slapped us about on the regular.

Some of the worst Arsenal home games in recent memories have been vs Swansea actually. the 2-0 loss in 2012/13 was absolutely dreadful in every way and the 1-1 last season wasnt much better.

So not much would surprise me tonight, be nice to get 2nd though but the pressure is off really so might be OK.

I'd go:

Szczesny
    Debuchy Gabriel Mertesacker Gibbs
    Coquelin Rosicky
    Walcott Ozil Sanchez
    Giroud

Suspect Rosicky is off in the summer and would be good to see him play live one last time. Then we might want to give Szczesny game time for the Cup, get Debuchy/Walcott back up to speed and give a rest to Koscielny/Cazorla/Monreal. But Wenger tends to pick unchanged line ups when we're on a run so probably wont see any of these bar Walcott.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Depleted)
    You mean the Cavani who's scored 28 goals in 49 games this season and 25 in 43 last year whilst playing the majority of his games on the wing to accomadate Ibrahimovic? Or the Cavani who, in his last 5 seasons, has scored 33, 33, 38, 25 and 28 goals, especially in Italy where it's notoriously hard to score? You'd be mad to turn him down, mad.
    Yet in all the big games he flops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    mert has had a really solid 2nd half to the season - a lot of his problems in the first half can be put down to: world cup fatigue (see most german players) kos' injury, and the dire form our our midfield..

As long as he has kos, mert will do a job of a high-enough standard for us.. but it looks from what wenger is saying, like he will be phased out for gabriel anyway..

Kos is not that injury prone.. he has never had a long-term injury, and has only twice in his career missed more then 1 month.

Gabriel - your right, we cant judge him yet.. but the thing is, if we had not brought gabriel in january, then he is the exact type of player wenger would have brought in the summer.. realistically we were never getting anyone better then him. a defender with a reasonable track record for 10-15m. so really, he is our new signing, the only difference is that wenger got him in january rather then the summer.. which is great as its given him more time to bed in and train with the team, before hopefully he replaces mert.

Chambers is a kid, which is fine for our 4th choice who is barely ever going to play.

A pecking order of:

Kos
    Gabriel
    Mert
    Chambers
    (monreal)
    (debuchy)

Is pretty good for that area, and the only way I can see it changing is if we were to sell mert. but really, if he does become our 3rd choice, then well, he is more then capable of being our back-up defender
    Mertesacker's 1st half of the season was probably the worst run of performances from an Arsenal CB in about 10 years. His mind just wasnt there really but he's picked it up.

Mertesacker is basically good to play vs the average teams, particularly those that play direct and physical. And he's actually brilliant at defending leads deep so handy to fling on from the bench as 3rd choice too.

Loads of people seem to dislike the idea of Gabriel and Kosc playing together because they're similar players and neither is particularly tall but they've looked solid to me, Gabriel just needs to learn how to cover for Koscielny when he moves up to intercept or press.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    mert has had a really solid 2nd half to the season - a lot of his problems in the first half can be put down to: world cup fatigue (see most german players) kos' injury, and the dire form our our midfield..

As long as he has kos, mert will do a job of a high-enough standard for us.. but it looks from what wenger is saying, like he will be phased out for gabriel anyway..

Kos is not that injury prone.. he has never had a long-term injury, and has only twice in his career missed more then 1 month.

Gabriel - your right, we cant judge him yet.. but the thing is, if we had not brought gabriel in january, then he is the exact type of player wenger would have brought in the summer.. realistically we were never getting anyone better then him. a defender with a reasonable track record for 10-15m. so really, he is our new signing, the only difference is that wenger got him in january rather then the summer.. which is great as its given him more time to bed in and train with the team, before hopefully he replaces mert.

Chambers is a kid, which is fine for our 4th choice who is barely ever going to play.

A pecking order of:

Kos
    Gabriel
    Mert
    Chambers
    (monreal)
    (debuchy)

Is pretty good for that area, and the only way I can see it changing is if we were to sell mert. but really, if he does become our 3rd choice, then well, he is more then capable of being our back-up defender
    Well you have a point if you're talking about 4th place.If we are to compete with Chelsea for the league title next season then I believe we need to sign a better defender than Mertesacker.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't turn him down if he was offered at the right price (£30m tops IMO), but wouldn't want us to pay what he's rumoured price is (something stupid like £40m+).

Stats are good but honestly, he's been dire in big games and in that sense he won't really add too much to our side will he? We can score goals against lower sides already, and Giroud can pluck out a goal or two vs bigger opponents too. Two years ago I would have said differently but Giroud has improved massively and we don't really need to go out and spend big on a striker anymore.

Having said that, if Lacazette was offered to us, I would much rather have him than Cavani. He has 27 goals and 6 assists in 32 games, and is only 23. We need a striker more like him at Arsenal right now.

Cavani, especially at 28, would be an unnecessary and a very expensive luxury.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    Well you have a point if you're talking about 4th place.If we are to compete with Chelsea for the league title next season then I believe we need to sign a better defender than Mertesacker.
    We signed Gabriel for £12m didnt we?

Imo Gabriel and Koscielny are both better than Cahill so we're not that far behind and if JT slips in the shower then they'd be in trouble. Much bigger difference between the quality of their wing backs to ours and obviously GK.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going to the game tonight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    We signed Gabriel for £12m didnt we?

Imo Gabriel and Koscielny are both better than Cahill so we're not that far behind and if JT slips in the shower then they'd be in trouble. Much bigger difference between the quality of their wing backs to ours and obviously GK.
    I don't know if Gabriel is better than Cahill I barely seen him much which is why I prefer a defender that is more recognized

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    Wouldn't turn him down if he was offered at the right price (£30m tops IMO), but wouldn't want us to pay what he's rumoured price is.

Stats are good but honestly, he's been dire in big games and in that sense he won't really add too much to our side will he? We can score goals against lower sides already, and Giroud can pluck out a goal or two vs bigger opponents too. Two years ago I would have said differently but Giroud has improved massively and we don't really need to go out and spend big on a striker anymore.

Having said that, if Lacazette was offered to us, I would much rather have him than Cavani. He has 27 goals and 6 assists in 32 games, and is only 23. We need a striker more like him at Arsenal right now.

Cavani, especially at 28, would be an unnecessary and a very expensive luxury.
    Cavani has scored 6 in 10 in the CL this year and his record stands at 29 in 45 in Europe, with 19 in 25 for Napoli where he was the main striker (and playing for an inferior side). Compare that to Giroud who's scored 7 in 21 in Europe, playing for a side who with respect get knocked out at R16 every year, playing European fodder. It's a pretty appalling record for a top 4 striker.

I can't stress enough how Cavani is 3 or 4 levels above Giroud, but if you don't want to accept that it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    Cavani has scored 6 in 10 in the CL this year and his record stands at 29 in 45 in Europe, with 19 in 25 for Napoli where he was the main striker (and playing for an inferior side). Compare that to Giroud who's scored 7 in 21 in Europe, playing for a side who with respect get knocked out at R16 every year, playing European fodder. It's a pretty appalling record for a top 4 striker.

I can't stress enough how Cavani is 3 or 4 levels above Giroud, but if you don't want to accept that it's fine.
    Yeah but the ball actually sticks to Giroud and he has an all round game.

Ive watched PSG games where Cavani just goes missing completely and that for me is worse regardless of his abilities.He also seems to bottle big chances

Youve obviously got your world class strikers like Suarez/Aguero who finish any half chance ice cold and have unbelievable all round ability too, then youve got your the Zlatans, Costas, Lewandowskis and Benzemas who can be depended on to make the difference in big games and then below that youve for the Mandzukics and Girouds who huff and puff and add more than their goals suggest. Cavani is really belonging to none of these groups

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rk2k14)
    Yet in all the big games he flops.
    He scored in big games against Chelsea & Marseille

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Yeah but the ball actually sticks to Giroud and he has an all round game.

Ive watched PSG games where Cavani just goes missing completely and that for me is worse regardless of his abilities.He also seems to bottle big chances
    Cos that's not a component on Giroud's game... As Al_94 said its a bit of an unfair tag anyway. Scored goals against City, Chelsea (x2) which come to living memory, fairly sure he scored in the cup final last year too.

You could easily adapt your style away from a target man, only thing Giroud has over Cavani is physicality anyway. You've got creative midfielders in abundance ffs, Cavani's movement and finishing would probably win you the league.

As for the edit well lol. Cavani is in the second tier of top strikers behind Suarez/Zlatan. Maybe a tiny bit below Lewa but he's top 6 strikers really.

ReputationRep:
    The Cavani hatred in England can be likened to the Zlatan hatred before Zlatan scored that brace against Arsenal and the 4 goals against the national team.

ReputationRep:
    only thing Giroud has over Cavani is physicality anyway.
    weed is haraam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
    weed is haraam
    I meant in terms of what he could potentially bring to Arsenal, they could easily adapt style of play to remove the deficiencies he has. Anyways I can't remember the last time a club won the league with a lone striker who's as one dimensional as Olivier, so long may it continue.

ReputationRep:
    Cos that's not a component on Giroud's game...

You could easily adapt your style away from a target man, only thing Giroud has over Cavani is physicality anyway. You've got creative midfielders in abundance ffs, Cavani's movement and finishing would probably win you the league.
    We're not lacking movement any more with Sanchez.

What we lack is a striker who makes something from nothing. With Giroud it's all very formulaic, he'll get you goals if you play the ball to him in the right situation but he's obviously not going to do a Suarez or Aguero and skin 2 or 3 men or just curl one into the narrow gap at the far post. Giroud doesnt create his own chances basically or score half chances

Not sure Cavani really meets that description

ReputationRep:
    I meant in terms of what he could potentially bring to Arsenal, they could easily adapt style of play to remove the deficiencies he has. Anyways I can't remember the last time a club won the league with a lone striker who's as one dimensional as Olivier, so long may it continue.
    Cavani is easily more 'physical' than Giroud

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea with Drogba or Utd with RVN

ReputationRep:
    on to tonights game:

Not that it really matters that much any more overall

But if we want 2nd, and to keep close with the top, then we need to put in a good performance today

Our record against swansea since 2011: LDWWLLW

(before that we had not played them since 1983)

They really are a team that causes trouble for us, and 3 wins from 7 games has not been great.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.