Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XXIV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Other example of Wenger's stupidity that we are going to have to end up paying way over the odds for Mustafi due to trying to lower the original price. Now we have less to spend on a striker, probably the reason we are going after this Perez guy. If Wenger had just put £30m on the table to begin with Mustafi would be an Arsenal player by now. He might not even come at all seen as Valencia are selling Alcacer and so don't need the money from us.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClockEnderAFC)
    Perez last season scored 17 goals in 37 games. He is essentially a hispanic Giroud, maybe a tiny bit better. He is barely better than what we have. He won't improve the team enough to make us challenge. It's not like he's a promising young player either, he's 27 years old. Should be going into his peak.

I'll support him if he's an Arsenal player but very strange signing from the club.
    Only thing that is perhaps better in this whole shambolic transfer is that they finished like 15th.. for which 17 goals is not bad at all.

Ornstein claims that we have around £96m, which makes me think if Wenger will try and splash £50m on someone right at the end?

This whole thing about leaving it late to save money is ******** though, I bet every club in the world knows that we are desperate and will add another £10-15m to their players for the sake of it.

We are usually a shitshow in the transfer window but **** me have we ****ed this one up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    Only thing that is perhaps better in this whole shambolic transfer is that they finished like 15th.. for which 17 goals is not bad at all.

Ornstein claims that we have around £96m, which makes me think if Wenger will try and splash £50m on someone right at the end?

This whole thing about leaving it late to save money is ******** though, I bet every club in the world knows that we are desperate and will add another £10-15m to their players for the sake of it.

We are usually a shitshow in the transfer window but **** me have we ****ed this one up
    At least you don't have 5 defenders for 4 positions like us or just have Liverpool's *****y defence.

ReputationRep:
    That's the issue with Mustafi. Valencia know we need a CB and due to Wenger's reluctance to pay the original price they've probably increased his price which is why we have been stalling over the fee. Holding, Xhaka, Perez and Mustafi wouldn't even be that bad a window if it weren't for the fact Wenger left it till we are already 5 points behind Chelsea, City and United and he only acted due to injuries, not out of desire to improve a squad which clearly needed improving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)

We only have 44 million to spend, with the potential to draw down from a 50 million overdraft facility.

https://www.css-investments.com/stoc...rsenal-report/

ReputationRep:
    Lucas Perez is the best striker in the league in 3...2...1...

ReputationRep:
    **** it, like an unloved wife, I will take any tiny morsel I can get.

Is he a word beater, no, but is he better then sanogo.. probably. And we are not getting any better so **** it,

ReputationRep:
    Lucas Perez is a good signing considering what is available in the market.

Not convinced by Lacazette, Lukaku Batshauyi... they are all pretty inadequate and would not be a world class solution. I don't think Lukaku can be world class given his weaknesses. I don't even think Martial fits the bill, his goalscoring record is meh even though he has played through the wing for some time he has also played as striker.

And we were never going to pay £75m for Higuain considering we need to fill other positions too. We're never going to spend over £100m in a single window.

We could have got a useful veteran like cheap like United, Ibrahimovic. It would have been good to just pay the guys wages with no transfer fee and if they can get 3 good years from him that would be a big coup. But that is not Wenger's style.

I don't see Lucas Perez as a backup to Giroud but he seems like an equal to Giroud which is great and exactly what we need given the fact that he can score a good amount of goals but can go on a drought. £16m is very good business for that. I doubt the fans will be satisfied as he is not a galactico but the guy seems better than the dross we have. Easy to forget that Giroud is actually a good player, he is not a great though and that is what it takes to win a title. But, you can compensate for greatness in one individual by having a competent range of strikers.

Fwiw, I would be much more encouraged by the prospective signing of Mustafi if I were you guys. It would give us true stability at CB which we have not had for years and we would allow us much more freedom in midfield. Strong Arsenal teams of the past were built on solid defensive partnerships, we have good depth in CB if we get him and also CM. Which, given the context of previous seasons of frustration on these areas, I am more than happy with.

ReputationRep:
    That's the issue with Mustafi. Valencia know we need a CB and due to Wenger's reluctance to pay the original price they've probably increased his price which is why we have been stalling over the fee. Holding, Xhaka, Perez and Mustafi wouldn't even be that bad a window if it weren't for the fact Wenger left it till we are already 5 points behind Chelsea, City and United and he only acted due to injuries, not out of desire to improve a squad which clearly needed improving.

We should just pay the bloody money. The importance of a top class defender to our team is huge given the fact that we have not had two top CB's since the invincibles. You know, it might just give us a chance at competing if we address this.

ReputationRep:

And of course, the fact that we are yelling to sack him also contributed... fan protests work to an extent in combination with other factors.

5 points is not big at all this early on. Its one loss and in a season like this you can probably have up to 7 losses and still be in contention for the title. I think the big teams will lose to each other which will mean the title winner will have more losses than Leicester did last season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.Carnell)
    Lucas Perez is a good signing considering what is available in the market.

Not convinced by Lacazette, Lukaku Batshauyi... they are all pretty inadequate and would not be a world class solution. I don't think Lukaku can be world class given his weaknesses. I don't even think Martial fits the bill, his goalscoring record is meh even though he has played through the wing for some time he has also played as striker.

And we were never going to pay £75m for Higuain considering we need to fill other positions too. We're never going to spend over £100m in a single window.

We could have got a useful veteran like cheap like United, Ibrahimovic. It would have been good to just pay the guys wages with no transfer fee and if they can get 3 good years from him that would be a big coup. But that is not Wenger's style.

I don't see Lucas Perez as a backup to Giroud but he seems like an equal to Giroud which is great and exactly what we need given the fact that he can score a good amount of goals but can go on a drought. £16m is very good business for that. I doubt the fans will be satisfied as he is not a galactico but the guy seems better than the dross we have. Easy to forget that Giroud is actually a good player, he is not a great though and that is what it takes to win a title. But, you can compensate for greatness in one individual by having a competent range of strikers.

Fwiw, I would be much more encouraged by the prospective signing of Mustafi if I were you guys. It would give us true stability at CB which we have not had for years and we would allow us much more freedom in midfield. Strong Arsenal teams of the past were built on solid defensive partnerships, we have good depth in CB if we get him and also CM. Which, given the context of previous seasons of frustration on these areas, I am more than happy with.
    Imagine saying Batshuayi would be an inadequate solution when he's on course to score 155 goals this season.

He's 22 as well so saying he would be world class is retarded. You won't negotiate 5m more for Mustafi, so where's the evidence that Wenger would drop £80 million on a world class striker from out of nowhere?

Rest of your posts is probably as shite as ever.

Wenger's in his last year, he literally doesn't give a **** anymore. That said, I'm #wengerin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy Seville)
    Imagine saying Batshuayi would be an inadequate solution when he's on course to score 155 goals this season.

He's 22 as well so saying he would be world class is retarded. You won't negotiate 5m more for Mustafi, so where's the evidence that Wenger would drop £80 million on a world class striker from out of nowhere?

Rest of your posts is probably as shite as ever.

Wenger's in his last year, he literally doesn't give a **** anymore. That said, I'm #wengerin

Batshauyi is just a knockoff Lukaku.

Wenger is my homeboy.

ReputationRep:
    Lest we forget we nicked Ben the head of technical scouting from Leicester. Ben knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.Carnell)
    Lest we forget we nicked Ben the head of technical scouting from Leicester. Ben knows.
    This isn't even true ffs.

We took the guy that makes the videos for the scout.

He's basically scout nation off youtube.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)
    This isn't even true ffs.

We took the guy that makes the videos for the scout.

He's basically scout nation off youtube.

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...-joins-arsenal

Ben is the man.

ReputationRep:
    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/ben-wrigglesworth-15973031

- Creating an easily accessible video library of prospective signings
    - Providing supplementary information to Head of Recruitment to inform domestic based scouting trips & weekly scouting schedule
    - Highlighting & profiling European players to inform overseas scouting trips and prioritise the most talented and available players in foreign countries
    - Conducting a systematic appraisal of video based scouting resources - Observing games & conducting both opposition match reports and individual player assessments

Typical LinkedIn spiel and gloss, but he's basically a scout nation making youtube comps for someone more senior in the chain. Everyone makes themselves seem more important, I know this one jerk off who basically makes coffee runs and thinks he Gordon ****ing Gekko.

ReputationRep:
    I know this one jerk off who basically makes coffee runs and thinks he Gordon ****ing Gekko.
    Cc Lucio

ReputationRep:
    Ornstein confirmed we're still in for #Madness ffs

ReputationRep:
    Ornstein confirmed we're still in for #Madness ffs
    Who do you reckon it is?

Cristian Zapata or Nigel reo-coker ?

ReputationRep:
    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/ben-wrigglesworth-15973031

- Creating an easily accessible video library of prospective signings
    - Providing supplementary information to Head of Recruitment to inform domestic based scouting trips & weekly scouting schedule
    - Highlighting & profiling European players to inform overseas scouting trips and prioritise the most talented and available players in foreign countries
    - Conducting a systematic appraisal of video based scouting resources - Observing games & conducting both opposition match reports and individual player assessments

Typical LinkedIn spiel and gloss, but he's basically a scout nation making youtube comps for someone more senior in the chain. Everyone makes themselves seem more important, I know this one jerk off who basically makes coffee runs and thinks he Gordon ****ing Gekko.

Guy is the best scoutnation scouter in the world.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 7, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.