Scroll to see replies

Original post by TrueMuslim
AsalaamAlaikum Wa rahmatullahi Wa Barakhatuh

Hope you're all doing well :h:

Anyone excited for Ramadhan?

Waalaikumussalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh wamaghfiratuh

Alhamdulillah, all well here. Hope you are too :h: YES ramadhaaaaan :biggrin:

Original post by BrainJuice
Can you tell me your *three* favorite Surahs?

I really like Taha.

I like surah al-Ikhlas
surah Taha (yay, same) :smile:
surah Rahman
Good video. About half way through. It just shows how people can wrongly quote ayat/hadith to support themselves. Sadly it's pretty much how ISIS(and many non-Muslims) interpret the Qur'an.

[video="youtube;N8AuaMJ9URc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8AuaMJ9URc[/video]
This one never fails to make me chuckle. Legit ruling too.

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by IdeasForLife

I got my c1 exam today brother. Wish me luck bro

Any last tips

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C1 MAY 13
I got my c1 exam today brother. Wish me luck bro

Any last tips

Posted from TSR Mobile

May Allah make you successful in this exam Quantum. Youve been working hard so should be fine.

Keep calm, don't overstress over little bits before the exam and take a quick glance over the hard questions on past papers if youre staying awake.
May Allah make you successful in this exam Quantum. Youve been working hard so should be fine.

Keep calm, don't overstress over little bits before the exam and take a quick glance over the hard questions on past papers if youre staying awake.

Jazakallah khair brother

I actually just woke up from sleep :smug:

How come you still awake
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ash92:)
Q. What's your motivation in life?

My religious belief.
It's been a light in the darknesses of life, a well in the desert of unbearable heat, a raft amidst the raging sea.

This is i believe one of the main reasons why people are religious

Religion and god can provide comfort in tough times and stuff. Nice little quote ash

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jazakallah khair brother

I actually just woke up from sleep :smug:

How come you still awake
Posted from TSR Mobile

BarakAllahu feek

I sleep at anywhere between 3 - 5 am.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BarakAllahu feek

I sleep at anywhere between 3 - 5 am.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As a medic, you should know how bad this is for you adil

It will mess up your circadian rhythm etc

Your body is not making enough of the hormone seretonin to make you sleepy

But these parts of the night (like 3-4 am) is a wicked time to connect with your creator. Everything is quiet, everyone asleep so you can ponder about allah swt and religion and stuff
Posted from TSR Mobile
Just looking out of my window and daaamn, the moon/sky looks amazing

The sky is completely clear and has a light blue tinge and the moon is crescent. Towards the east, the sky ia slightly brighter, as the sun begins to rise

I am grafeful to see another day

Sometimes these things really increase your imaan because you believe that there must be a creator for all of this beauty.. :beard:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Beautiful subhanallah

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is i believe one of the main reasons why people are religious

Religion and god can provide comfort in tough times and stuff. Nice little quote ash

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed. But I think some non-believers wrongly assume that this (comfort) is the ONLY reason, and hence this leads them to the conclusion that "God does not exist, you only fabricate His existence in order to comfort yourself". They overlook the fact that we have other reasons too, such as wanting to connect with our Creator, our Rabb, following the teachings of Islam to better ourselves and society, and so on.
Q. What's your motivation in life?

My religious belief.
It's been a light in the darknesses of life, a well in the desert of unbearable heat, a raft amidst the raging sea.

Love this!

"floowed me out to Las Vegas" :lol:
Indeed. But I think some non-believers wrongly assume that this (comfort) is the ONLY reason, and hence this leads them to the conclusion that "God does not exist, you only fabricate His existence in order to comfort yourself". They overlook the fact that we have other reasons too, such as wanting to connect with our Creator, our Rabb, following the teachings of Islam to better ourselves and society, and so on.

Comfort? Reasons?
You is indoctrinated bro!!
What's funny is the confidence with which some of these claims are made lol. It's like if I started banging on about linguistic marvels in the Qur'an even though I have no clue about linguistics.

And likewise to you. May Allah make you successful in them!

Peace be with you,

I would argue that it is absolutely fine to argue for the linguistics of the Quran. Both myself and brother ash have posted views of muslims and also non-muslim translators of the Quran, of christian and non-muslim arabs versed in fusah arabic, so much so there is almost an ijmah on the Qurans Arabic being the peak of the peak in expression, style, and a numerous number of other facets of the arabic language. When there is such an ijmah it is perfectly fine to read into what makes the Quran so special, and get a gist of it.

However, the absurdity of those criticizing the Quran poetic nature is they judge it on the english translation, so can not grasp the fact the beauty is in the Arabic with regards to its linguistic merits. If they criticize the arabic they go against the unified consensus - not just among one school in Islam, but between qualified individuals of different religions. As i said before, even the anti-islamic websites, surprisingly infact, don't go down this road. They just say 'Muhammed (pbuh) knew the importance of words and was a talented 'poet' ' Others may go down the former route, but i am yet to see that.

Ofcourse, the next best thing is learning Fusah Arabic, which i have been doing and should i pass the exams, InshAllah , i'm going to really go at it this summer. There's an excellent teacher and free books - provided by them online, as part of the Madina series. I'll try to link you all soon inshAllah.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BrainJuice
Can you tell me your *three* favorite Surahs?

I really like Taha.

Peace be with you,

It's extremely difficult to pick three surahs, primarily because each gives layer upon layer of meanings, lessons, explanations, and also due to the fact i really need to study the Quran so much more as it deserves to be studied.

However, the three i would pick are the following:

1. Surah Ikhlas - Tawheed has been a key issue for me and is the pillar of faith. We were created to know and 'worship' the one , indivisible lord of the universe. The Surah so poetically and succinctly enables you to understand to an extent who you are worshiping and gives you a firm-foot-hold, or a basis with regards to Tawheed.

2. Surah Hadid - I'd like to share a hadith on this surah:

Muhammad b. Yahya from Ahmad b. Muhammad from al-Husayn b. Sa`eed from an-Nadr b. Suwayd from `Asim b. Humayd. He said:
He said: `Ali b. al-Husayn عليه السلام was asked about monotheism (tawhid) so he said: Allah عزوجل knew that there would be deep-thinking communities in the end times, so Allah تعالى revealed Qul huwallahu ahad and the verses from Surat al-Hadid until His saying, “And He is knowing of that which hearts contain” (57:6) so whoever accepts anything otherwise is destroyed. (al-Kafi, Volume 1, hadith 242)
(sahih) (صحيح)

This Surah was in part, revealed for the more deep thinking communities. If you read the translation and begin to read the tafsir -which i need to do again and in more depth , it enables you again to gain a real sense of who you are worshipping, to know your lord.

Surah Al Hadid - Verse 1-6

Whatever is in the heavens and on earth,- let it declare the Praises and Glory of Allah: for He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.

To Him belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth: It is He Who gives Life and Death; and He has Power over all things.

He is the First and the Last, the Evident and the Immanent: and He has full knowledge of all things.

He it is Who created the heavens and the earth in Six periods, and is moreover firmly established on the Throne (of Authority). He knows what enters within the earth and what comes forth out of it, what comes down from heaven and what mounts up to it. And He is with you wheresoever ye may be. And Allah sees well all that ye do.

To Him belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth: and all affairs are referred back to Allah.

He merges Night into Day, and He merges Day into Night; and He has full knowledge of the secrets of (all) hearts.

An Enlightening tafseer of Surah Al Hadid:http://www.al-islam.org/enlightening-commentary-light-holy-quran-vol-17/surah-al-hadid-chapter-57-verses-1-15

3. Surah Yusuf - which the Quran itself describes as the best of stories. In this surah there are an innumerable number of lessons that can appeal to anyone in any part of society. The youth who has the attractions of pleasure, but opts for chastity. The one wrongly accused, and must exert patience. Jealousy and family hatred coupled with mercy and forgiveness.

I am embarrassed to be talking about these surahs and should give the Quran far more worth, and if Allah swt grants me a chance, inshAllah may we all give the Quran its due worth this Ramadhan, and really every day of our lives, and i speak to myself before speaking to anyone else.

EDIT: I know this is cheating, but i had to add Surah Duha. When you are feeling low, upset, afraid, this is simply the Surah to read, reflect on, etc
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Al-farhan
Comfort? Reasons?
You is indoctrinated bro!!

:colondollar:
Original post by Tawheed

However, the absurdity of those criticizing the Quran poetic nature is they judge it on the english translation,

It never ceases to amaze me how often this problem arises in their arguments.
:colondollar:

It never ceases to amaze me how often this problem arises in their arguments.

It shows the lack of insight, research or reflection into Islam. Maybe we need to be doing more Dawah and being explicit what we mean, but i would argue even common sense should dictate if a scripture which claims to have a certain elevation in its language, if you then translate it you can't refute it based on the translation.

Tbh, i'm still perplexed at those who say Allah swt makes us sin, we have no free will, and misquote verses in the Quran.

I think sometimes, people just want to refute Islam, have little time on their hands, are convinced it is false, and throw stray bullets.

I know many atheists stalk our ISOC(you would be surprised, i've already investigated this) , and i would like to say this is not intended to label all of you, only some i have encountered. I'm refuting the ideas, and not attacking the personalities.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'd like you all to compare atheistic morality, with Islamic morality.

I'd like to say, it is key not to blame all atheists for the foolish words of one, but my gut instinct tells me that many atheists may actually agree with Richard Dawkins. Furthermore, there would be nothing immoral in atheism with aborting a child with down-syndrome.

Richard Dawkins, the appointed 'prophet' of the atheists(and he has his key scripture, the 'God Delusion'):

Now compare this to a programme on Ahlulbayt TV, which personally brought me to tears. It tells the uplifting story of a child with down-syndrome, how the parents coped, how they enabled the child to go to college , and inshAllah do dua, marry in the future.

That's the difference between Islamic and atheistic morality. Atheism states we are only biologically complex machines, there is no objective morality. Islam states human beings have objective importance, and can be the best of the creation of Allah swt. A child with down-syndrome can lead a healthy and ful-filling life. It's a challenge,a test, but they are more of a human being than anyone. They have a right to exist, to engage and become productive members of society. So what if they have certain special needs? We all will have special needs if we live long enough, or even at any point in our lives depending on what happens to us medically.

[video="youtube;D-Pwas6PeSA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Pwas6PeSA[/video]

Please pray for the brave family and inspiring man in the video, and pray for all families who have children with special needs, and pray against the stigmatization of certain atheists.

I'd like to say, it is key not to blame all atheists for the foolish words of one, but my gut instinct tells me that many atheists may actually agree with Richard Dawkins.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Tawheed
It shows the lack of insight, research or reflection into Islam. Maybe we need to be doing more Dawah and being explicit what we mean, but i would argue even common sense should dictate if a scripture which claims to have a certain elevation in its language, if you then translate it you can't refute it based on the translation.

Tbh, i'm still perplexed at those who say Allah swt makes us sin, we have no free will, and misquote verses in the Quran.

I think sometimes, people just want to refute Islam, have little time on their hands, are convinced it is false, and throw stray bullets.

I know many atheists stalk our ISOC(you would be surprised, i've already investigated this) , and i would like to say this is not intended to label all of you, only some i have encountered. I'm refuting the ideas, and not attacking the personalities.

I think that depends entirely on the person that discussion is being pursued with. In some cases, yes. In other cases, 'it is the same whether you warn them, or you warn them not'.

It's not all that new. Iirc there were people called jabiriyyah who proposed similar claims.

Indeed. It's unfortunate because it antagonises any productivity from debate.

Indeed, we are not speaking against any particular individual, but rather against an approach which some choose to take.

Latest

Trending

Trending