Depression Society MkII Watch

This discussion is closed.
gooner1991
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am seriously losing the will to go on. These past 6 years have been nothing but hell for me and it seems as though being me and being happy are mutually exclusive. I have tried over and over again to get help and nothing has worked.My former friends abandoned me because they couldn't handle my problems,my mum's done the same,my family practically don't want to know and I don't think I can ever get better.

I am in constant pain and I just want it to end.
Nothos
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I barely slept last night, and dozed off just now. Had a nightmare (Usual one for those in the know). Now I'm not sleeping tonight, but I feel wrecked :cry:
blackfish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I finally lost the plot... I feel like a complete and utter failure... I to be honest am seriously considering moving away from Somerset Permenantly...

The positive is that I feel I may have made a new friend today who seems to like me for who I am!

I'm going to go now because im about to burst into tears
Nothos
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by blackfish)
I finally lost the plot... I feel like a complete and utter failure... I to be honest am seriously considering moving away from Somerset Permenantly...

The positive is that I feel I may have made a new friend today who seems to like me for who I am!

I'm going to go now because im about to burst into tears
:hugs: If you want to talk, feel free to PM me or add me on msn, it's in my profile. Hope you have good times with your new friend.
Segat1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Righto, I am joining because I've been diagnosed with depression and am having therapy and taking Citalopram at 10mg for two weeks then 20mg for two weeks. Have been reading about side effects etc. Less happy about the instructions to not have booze whilst on it, but I can deal with it. Anyone had any side effects apart from the whole insomnia and whatnot?
Antimatter
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Segat1)
Righto, I am joining because I've been diagnosed with depression and am having therapy and taking Citalopram at 10mg for two weeks then 20mg for two weeks. Have been reading about side effects etc. Less happy about the instructions to not have booze whilst on it, but I can deal with it. Anyone had any side effects apart from the whole insomnia and whatnot?
Hi there, I've been on Citalopram, though now I'm on it's brother, Escitalopram. It's an okay pill, I ended up with really vivid dreams, and it didn't much help my problem (which isn't depression, and it works for different people differently), also, it can have some sexual side effects. I'm not going to go into it here, mostly because it doesn't happen to everyone, but there are meds you can take as well to alleviate these side effects if the pill is working well on your depression.
The alcohol thing is a weird one, when I was on Citalopram, I could drink like a fish, but my friend would have a couple of pints and become really, really drunk. Take it easy if you do decide to drink, drink halves or singles and stay with a friend who knows you're on new meds so can tell you to stop or get you home safely if you do have any bad effects.
Are you recieving CBT or any form of talking therapy as well? Oh, I see you are Is that helping matters much?
Best wishes,
Jess
Segat1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Antimatter)
Hi there, I've been on Citalopram, though now I'm on it's brother, Escitalopram. It's an okay pill, I ended up with really vivid dreams, and it didn't much help my problem (which isn't depression, and it works for different people differently), also, it can have some sexual side effects. I'm not going to go into it here, mostly because it doesn't happen to everyone, but there are meds you can take as well to alleviate these side effects if the pill is working well on your depression.
The alcohol thing is a weird one, when I was on Citalopram, I could drink like a fish, but my friend would have a couple of pints and become really, really drunk. Take it easy if you do decide to drink, drink halves or singles and stay with a friend who knows you're on new meds so can tell you to stop or get you home safely if you do have any bad effects.
Are you recieving CBT or any form of talking therapy as well? Oh, I see you are Is that helping matters much?
Best wishes,
Jess
Hey Jess, thanks. I've literally taken my first pill today and had my first therapy session. feeling pretty whacked out at it all but at least it's something. Thanks re the alcohol thing - the leaflet doesn't say what does happen when you do drink (giant spots? bad breath?) but will see how I go when I am settled into it - says it takes about two weeks? And I'll try it at home. I'm fearing insomnia most, as I dont want to be a zombie. Gah. Oh well. Will see how I go.
My depression seems largely shaped by some **** in my life, which seemed trivial to me but it's obviously shaped who I am a lot and I didnt realyse how angry I was at everything. Fingers crossed this talking sorts it out. Opening the gates on it all is scary but I guess its the only way.
Cheers.
Vienna Cannon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Grargh Damnit I know I shouldnt of stopped the fluoxetine its bad of me but when I am getting psychopathic thoughts from it and going completely blank its not good damn doctorsx
Antimatter
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Vienna Cannon)
Grargh Damnit I know I shouldnt of stopped the fluoxetine its bad of me but when I am getting psychopathic thoughts from it and going completely blank its not good damn doctorsx
Hugs!
Can you get an emergency appointment today, or ask for a doctor to call you?
Did you mean the Prozac gave you the thoughts, so they told you to stop it and now you feel like ****?
Jess xxx :jumphug:
Antimatter
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey Jess, thanks. I've literally taken my first pill today and had my first therapy session. feeling pretty whacked out at it all but at least it's something. Thanks re the alcohol thing - the leaflet doesn't say what does happen when you do drink (giant spots? bad breath?) but will see how I go when I am settled into it - says it takes about two weeks? And I'll try it at home. I'm fearing insomnia most, as I dont want to be a zombie. Gah. Oh well. Will see how I go.
My depression seems largely shaped by some **** in my life, which seemed trivial to me but it's obviously shaped who I am a lot and I didnt realyse how angry I was at everything. Fingers crossed this talking sorts it out. Opening the gates on it all is scary but I guess its the only way.
Cheers.
I was the complete opposite, I was tired all the time, I fell asleep in baths, when working, at college, on busses, watching TV...
I think the main drinking thing is that your tolerance can be greatly reduced, and I think you can get worse hangovers too (never had one, *touches wood*) also, however, alcohol is a depressant, so it might not be the best of plans anyway, especially getting smashed lots :p:
And yeah, sometimes you can realise that small things that had never really bothered you were actually a big cause for how you're feeling, it's weird that
Right, I better eat something
Segat1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Cheers. Not planning to get smashed anytime soon!! Just looking fwd to feeling better.
Vienna Cannon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Antimatter)
Hugs!
Can you get an emergency appointment today, or ask for a doctor to call you?
Did you mean the Prozac gave you the thoughts, so they told you to stop it and now you feel like ****?
Jess xxx :jumphug:
No I was taking fluoxetine and it was giving me really psycho thoughts like cutting my arm off and driving knives into me and killing everyone around me. It didnt help with voices and I tried telling a doctor that but they still said I should continue what I was on. So I took myself off them but I feel miserable all the time now
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No I was taking fluoxetine and it was giving me really psycho thoughts like cutting my arm off and driving knives into me and killing everyone around me. It didnt help with voices and I tried telling a doctor that but they still said I should continue what I was on. So I took myself off them but I feel miserable all the time now
Are you happy with the doctor that you're seeing? If not then you should ask to see a different one. :hugs:
Vienna Cannon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jonathan122)
Are you happy with the doctor that you're seeing? If not then you should ask to see a different one. :hugs:
There is only two doctors at my doctors surgery and I haven't seen either since beause they both are useless I should just give up on meds because they make me worse and doctors won't give me anything better.
Had a nightmare again last night It has made me feel so low. I feel completely worthless, I shouldn't still be like this.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You're not alone, I had similar thoughts on fluoxetine. I stopped it after 4 days that **** was bad.

Are you only taking an antidepressant? You mention voices... Anyway, don't give up hope on them, fluoxetine obviously just isn't right for you and if your doctors are unwilling to cooperate with you then ask to be referred to a psychiatrist who knows more about these meds than a GP anyway.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey there

Antimatter has pretty much answered you already but I just wanted to say hi.

I felt really sick on citalopram like all the time for a good 2 weeks after starting it. No insomnia, but if I drank I'd be very drunk very quickly. Didn't work for me at all, but good luck with it. You've probably already been told but it takes anything up to, even above, 8 weeks to start having an effect so don't expect anything too soon.
Segat1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
Hey there

Antimatter has pretty much answered you already but I just wanted to say hi.

I felt really sick on citalopram like all the time for a good 2 weeks after starting it. No insomnia, but if I drank I'd be very drunk very quickly. Didn't work for me at all, but good luck with it. You've probably already been told but it takes anything up to, even above, 8 weeks to start having an effect so don't expect anything too soon.
Hey - thanks! Today has been... weird. I felt very *fizzy* and then floaty and kind of felt like I was back in my body. I wasn't expecting anything like that, more on the watchout for feeling sick and whatnot. I did have a moment of complete lucidity and talked nineteen to the dozen for about 5 mins. And I laughed a lot more than usual. But it's only the first day. Weird. Psychosomatic? Oh well, lets see if I sleep tongiht!!
kiss_me_now9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am generally very apathetic to everything atm... I haven't driven in a month, I've stopped riding, I don't go out with my friends much, I gave up my job. My day is filled with sleeping and watching TV. I managed to drag myself to town today on the promise that I'd get some psychology books out of the library so I can plumped up my personal statement but that was a massive effort.
Nothos
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kiss_me_now9)
I am generally very apathetic to everything atm... I haven't driven in a month, I've stopped riding, I don't go out with my friends much, I gave up my job. My day is filled with sleeping and watching TV. I managed to drag myself to town today on the promise that I'd get some psychology books out of the library so I can plumped up my personal statement but that was a massive effort.
:hugs: Things will pick up soon enough, I promise...
blackfish
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm Psychotic anyway, but when I was on fluoxetine I was a complete and utter zombie... It killed my concentration, reacted with my other medication and then started messing with my head... Eventually I tried topping myself numerous times so don't be to disheartened that it doesn't work for you...

I would ask for a Psychiatrists referal or a second opinion at the very least...??
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (291)
37.55%
No - but I will (55)
7.1%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.23%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (373)
48.13%

Watched Threads