Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    HERE JAY CUTLER. IT'S THE BROWN PAPER BAG OF SHAME. WEAR IT WELL...TRY NOT EMBARASS YOURSELF. (Oh...that was intercepted too... )

:dunce: I don't know what in the name of Ditka Chicago was thinking. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/jay-cutler/ The only way that they can get out of that before 2016, is to trade him. But the Bucs, Titans and Jets will fight it out for Mariota in the draft...and any of Mike Vick, Mike Glennon and Jake Locker would become available, and then if the Rams decide to move on from Sam Bradford, well, all of them would represent better, and more cost effective options. I don't know where his head is, but his heart isn't in Chicago, that's for sure. It may be because of another lost season, but he's holding the team back. The ability to retool that defense sure as heck isn't helped by his contract, that's for sure.

In comparison:

Peyton Manning (Quite good in the context of things...to get the best...he has to be paid...but since it's mostly base salary...but it could make it hard in terms of salary cap if he decides to recover, but at the very least, he's earned it and deserves the final payday, imho). http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-br...eyton-manning/

Tom Brady (Now that's what success and a long term commitment to excellent results in...that is a team friendly deal....As much as it pains me to say this.......Credit to the Patriots...they have a good front office and that's why they are contenders to go on deep playoff runs every single year. Every single year. Every...Single...Year.) http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-engla...ots/tom-brady/

Tony Romo (A lot will be due towards the end, although there is plenty of scope to restructure it...)http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-romo/

Joe Flacco (the more I see it, it's not that bad, and seems to be highly incentivized and team friendly) http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/joe-flacco/

Matt Ryan (eh...seems a fair price, but it's on potential, and he needs to afford the surgery later, due to that terrible o-line)...http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/joe-flacco/
    Yeah Toms cap hit isn't high for a quarterback of his level but contrary to what people think Tom got paid big time. Gotta look at that guaranteed money haha

Cutler just looks shot. There's no excuse with the tools he has. He's got one of the top 5 WR duos in the league. A good tight end in Bennett, and probably the best receiving back in Forte yet he cannot get anything out of that?

A few players who got big contracts who I think really haven't lived up to it since getting the contract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Yeah Toms cap hit isn't high for a quarterback of his level but contrary to what people think Tom got paid big time. Gotta look at that guaranteed money haha

Cutler just looks shot. There's no excuse with the tools he has. He's got one of the top 5 WR duos in the league. A good tight end in Bennett, and probably the best receiving back in Forte yet he cannot get anything out of that?

A few players who got big contracts who I think really haven't lived up to it since getting the contract.
    Oh yeah it is the way he it has been structured, it was well done, and I think the whole Welker-Brady restructuring last year converted a lot of the base into signing or the put it on to the end of the contract to lessen the hit so that they could sign Welker. But the Patriots are a very savvy orgnanization when it comes to contracts. Denver is not bad, as well...since Elway knows what he is doing.

I agree with the notion that Cutler is shot.Chicago will have to tough it out for the next few years though...as a bridge qb, someone like Fitzpatrick or Orton is perfect. Vick or Sanchez could be decent bridge to almost starters...I'd be interested in Jake Locker, RG3 and Sam Bradford...they all have the talent, and would be good reclaimation projects. Mariota is a better fit, if he declares. And Winston, while I don't think he'll declare, would be a worthy option later in the draft.

Cutler...well...he's lost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shunter7634)
    Thought I'd compile the bold predictions here. A couple of great calls, and then lots that were bold for a reason.
    Ha, thanks for bringing these back for me, couldn't be bothered searching myself!

(Original post by munn)
    Russell Wilson wins MVP
    Vikings win the NFC North - Maybe next year [still think they would have had a chance with ADP, that one was out of the blue unfortunately!]
    Jacksonville earn a wildcard spot (IF AND ONLY IF Bortles starts 10+ games) - Unfortunately Bortles has no help. [Poor prediction, I expected the defense to improve, it got worse if anything.]
    Having had 3 teams in the NFC finish with 10+ wins last year, only one will finish with a winning record - Only 2, but NFC West still looks awesome. [Cardinals screwed me here, god knows the number of times they have won games they really looked like losing!]
    Denver DON'T win the AFC West - Manning still lives! - [finally looks like he's starting to slow down, but should never doubt Manning in the regular season]
    Some really good predictions from other people though.

ReputationRep:
    On an aside from fantasy and bold predictions, Tampa are going to be picking first in the 2015 draft it seems. They gonna take Winston or trade back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ..DT..)
    On an aside from fantasy and bold predictions, Tampa are going to be picking first in the 2015 draft it seems. They gonna take Winston or trade back?
    They should trade down and get O-Line help, imo. Reckon someone like the Eagles might pay big to get Mariota.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cant_think_of_name)
    They should trade down and get O-Line help, imo. Reckon someone like the Eagles might pay big to get Mariota.
    Hmmm, its tough. I'm not sure if I'd rather we spend some of our cap space on the O-line, not sure whose gonna be free over the summer.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, its tough. I'm not sure if I'd rather we spend some of our cap space on the O-line, not sure whose gonna be free over the summer.
    To be honest, Tampa have a keeper in Glennon, and the whole team needs to put all their chips in with him. They have the pieces on the the offense in Rainey, Evans and Vincent Jackson. The defense is solid, but could do with the usual draft additions for depth. Get that O-line sorted, and Tampa are a contender. Donald Penn was just solid.

Trade down, and pick up picks, to get La'el Collins or Tyler Sambrailo, in the first. La'el Collins would be a better pick due to his ability to play at Guard or Tackle, and coaches like that ability. If guard is still an issue, I like the idea of picking up Arie Kouandjio or Josue Matias in the second or third. Other guards should be available in the sixth.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely would not pick Winston before Mariota.

I want to say Tampa are contenders next season if they just add a few but I feel like a broken record. Every season we say it and they just aren't.

I praised the Verner move but he has supposedly stank it up

ReputationRep:

I want to say Tampa are contenders next season if they just add a few but I feel like a broken record. Every season we say it and they just aren't.

I praised the Verner move but he has supposedly stank it up
    This is true. I think everybody praised the Verner move. He'll be a better fit for Lovie Smith's system than Revis...we all said. Tampa got a steal...we all said. That said, the NFC south, is a great division, with four competitive, and proud, teams, who will be looking to prove a point next season, in a big way.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. That's if they declare for the draft anyway, since they are both Juniors. I can see Winston staying in college to try and salvage his reputation, because he isn't going to be going in the first this year, despite his top-5 talent, due to his numerous off the field issues. I think Bryce Petty would be a good option if they do not declare...and I think some teams have to be interested in Blake Sims. That dude has some serious arm strength, which makes him more useful than AJ McCarron. If he goes to Chicago though....:P

Edit. He just seems a lot bigger than just 6ft0, 208lbs...
    I'm wondering how accurate that is...

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-...married/246758

ReputationRep:
    Like jammy said, I do think Glennon's still the guy for another season at least. They just need to believe in him.

(Original post by jammy4041)
    To be honest, Tampa have a keeper in Glennon, and the whole team needs to put all their chips in with him. They have the pieces on the the offense in Rainey, Evans and Vincent Jackson.
    Doug Martin ain't done yet! He put up (nearly) 100 yards last week. He's been injured, yes, but I can see him getting back to decent form.

ReputationRep:
    The best free agents that I can see on O-Line are Iupati and Bulaga, but there are quite a few other decent options in there who'd not take up loads of room but do a decent job starting.

On an unrelated note, looking at the free agents for Seattle, I'd let anyone on offense but Zach Miller go if we got replacements for the starters (the only starters are Kearse and Carpenter, plus Walters on special teams, and I guess Tarvaris Jackson is a decent backup for Wilson).

On defense though, the pass rush is gonna take a huge hit if the big 'uns start going. Kevin Williams, KJ Wright, Malcolm Smith, Cliff Avril, O'Brien Schofield, DeMarcus Dobbs... plus Byron Maxwell from the secondary.

I'd say priorities there are Wright, Avril and Maxwell but I'd like to see everyone there back.

Plus Farwell and Gresham on special teams (who are replaceable, but have a place in my heart as long snapper and special teams captain )

ReputationRep:
    Seattle facing a bit of a d day. Those contracts gonna come in hard.

ReputationRep:
    Like jammy said, I do think Glennon's still the guy for another season at least. They just need to believe in him.

Doug Martin ain't done yet! He put up (nearly) 100 yards last week. He's been injured, yes, but I can see him getting back to decent form.
    About 70 of those were in 1 play though lol. I like what I've seen of charlie Sims. I agree about glenon, don't think the play callers or o line helped him one bit

ReputationRep:
    The best free agents that I can see on O-Line are Iupati and Bulaga, but there are quite a few other decent options in there who'd not take up loads of room but do a decent job starting.

On an unrelated note, looking at the free agents for Seattle, I'd let anyone on offense but Zach Miller go if we got replacements for the starters (the only starters are Kearse and Carpenter, plus Walters on special teams, and I guess Tarvaris Jackson is a decent backup for Wilson).

On defense though, the pass rush is gonna take a huge hit if the big 'uns start going. Kevin Williams, KJ Wright, Malcolm Smith, Cliff Avril, O'Brien Schofield, DeMarcus Dobbs... plus Byron Maxwell from the secondary.

I'd say priorities there are Wright, Avril and Maxwell but I'd like to see everyone there back.

Plus Farwell and Gresham on special teams (who are replaceable, but have a place in my heart as long snapper and special teams captain )
    I'm sure the Jags will be happy to take a few of the Seahawks FA's off their hands. The cache of them they got last season have been pretty good!

Any CFB hacks know if this years draft is enough to hold it's own without Mariota and/or Winston? Are we going to have another 2013 where everyone just drafts O-lineman who turn out to be a bit rubbish? I'm looking back at the 2013 first round and the players that jump out are: Ziggy Ansah, Dee Milliner, Sheldon Richardson, Kenny Vaccaro and they're all on D. The glut of O-Line players range from good to sub-par. All of the offensive skill position players have had quiet second seasons, or got injured. I think Tyler Eifert would have bucked the trend had he been healthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    I'm sure the Jags will be happy to take a few of the Seahawks FA's off their hands. The cache of them they got last season have been pretty good!
    Very true, wouldn't surprise me if Gus Bradley tries to get Avril and Smith down there or similar. Think everyone liked him when he was DC.

(Original post by Wattsy)
    Any CFB hacks know if this years draft is enough to hold it's own without Mariota and/or Winston? Are we going to have another 2013 where everyone just drafts O-lineman who turn out to be a bit rubbish? I'm looking back at the 2013 first round and the players that jump out are: Ziggy Ansah, Dee Milliner, Sheldon Richardson, Kenny Vaccaro and they're all on D. The glut of O-Line players range from good to sub-par. All of the offensive skill position players have had quiet second seasons, or got injured. I think Tyler Eifert would have bucked the trend had he been healthy.
    Don't particularly know about this one but the 2013 draft was so pathetic lol. The fact that Vaccaro and Milliner are people who jump out says something! I'll give you that Ansah and Richardson are top players though. Eric Reid, Dion Jordan, Kyle Long and DeAndre Hopkins are the only other few in the first that have done much. It was quite a deep draft for tight ends, actually. Eifert, Ertz, Kelce, Willson, Reed and then Fauria, Josh Hill and Tim Wright as UFA

ReputationRep:
    Very true, wouldn't surprise me if Gus Bradley tries to get Avril and Smith down there or similar. Think everyone liked him when he was DC.

Don't particularly know about this one but the 2013 draft was so pathetic lol. The fact that Vaccaro and Milliner are people who jump out says something! I'll give you that Ansah and Richardson are top players though. Eric Reid, Dion Jordan, Kyle Long and DeAndre Hopkins are the only other few in the first that have done much. It was quite a deep draft for tight ends, actually. Eifert, Ertz, Kelce, Willson, Reed and then Fauria, Josh Hill and Tim Wright as UFA
    Yeah Kyle Long is a a stud at guard if there was a possibility of a stud existing at such a blue collar position. Down the draft you can see the depth in all fairness, there are some good 5th, 6th and 7th round pickups but most of it is a crapshoot.

I've just seen DeMarco Murray's hand. I am not a happy fantasy owner, I've had to pick up Joseph Randle as a handcuff,

ReputationRep:
    My opponent in the final has DeMarco Murray. Obviously, an injury to any player would never make me happy... but I'd be lying if I said that I want him to start on Sunday

ReputationRep:
    This years draft has a certain Amari Cooper who I think will be an absolute monster.

ReputationRep:
    My opponent in the final has DeMarco Murray. Obviously, an injury to any player would never make me happy... but I'd be lying if I said that I want him to start on Sunday
    HI! I'm your opponent! I'm not very happy about this situation. I might have to either gamble on Tre Mason doing his stuff and promote Joique Bell to RB2, fall to Murray's handcuff Randle in his RBBC with Dunbar or flex a wideout and pray he scores a TD. Golden Tate might be my guy if it comes to that thanks to a better matchup than Mike Wallace. With so many Lions I need a 40 point display from Detroit really.

I also have Beckham, Bell and Parkey in my other Championship game just adding to the conundrum.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.