Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else hoping for the deja vu that will occur if the Saints win the South at 7-9, and Seattle are a wild card?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    HI! I'm your opponent! I'm not very happy about this situation. I might have to either gamble on Tre Mason doing his stuff and promote Joique Bell to RB2, fall to Murray's handcuff Randle in his RBBC with Dunbar or flex a wideout and pray he scores a TD. Golden Tate might be my guy if it comes to that thanks to a better matchup than Mike Wallace. With so many Lions I need a 40 point display from Detroit really.

I also have Beckham, Bell and Parkey in my other Championship game just adding to the conundrum.
    Sorry, I meant my other league! TSR League went downhill drastically as I kind of forgot about it and I just checked my team and I'm still playing CJ Spiller and Reggie Wayne :/

Promise to try harder next year!

(Original post by shunter7634)
    Is anyone else hoping for the deja vu that will occur if the Saints win the South at 7-9, and Seattle are a wild card?
    If this happens, then as a Seattle fan I'm hoping there is no repeat of the 7-9 team causing an upset!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cant_think_of_name)
    Like jammy said, I do think Glennon's still the guy for another season at least. They just need to believe in him.

Doug Martin ain't done yet! He put up (nearly) 100 yards last week. He's been injured, yes, but I can see him getting back to decent form.
    Boise State alum repping it!! I liked what I saw from Glennon last year and this year. McCown is a good backup however. Nevertheless, a running back wouldn't go amiss, to light a fire under his backside.

I'm sure the Jags will be happy to take a few of the Seahawks FA's off their hands. The cache of them they got last season have been pretty good!

Any CFB hacks know if this years draft is enough to hold it's own without Mariota and/or Winston? Are we going to have another 2013 where everyone just drafts O-lineman who turn out to be a bit rubbish? I'm looking back at the 2013 first round and the players that jump out are: Ziggy Ansah, Dee Milliner, Sheldon Richardson, Kenny Vaccaro and they're all on D. The glut of O-Line players range from good to sub-par. All of the offensive skill position players have had quiet second seasons, or got injured. I think Tyler Eifert would have bucked the trend had he been healthy.
    In terms of QB, Garrett Grayson of Colorado State is being mentioned as the best. He has prototypical size and athleticism, at 6ft3, 230, 4.70 forty yard dash. I like Bryce Petty out of Baylor, and I think he has the tools to make it to the next level, and he could be a good option in rounds 2-3, considering the season he's had. I actually like Blake Sims as a QB sleeper, and he could go anything from the 2-5th rounds. He has some serious athletic abilities (former 100m sprinter), and a really strong arm, and I'm curious as to which team will be intrigued enough to take a chance. He's had three years of sitting behind AJ McCarron, and came in and dominated...when considering Amari Cooper and how good he's been, remember that he has had a good QB throw to him.

And as a side note, I'm really hoping some team takes a chance on Justin Arias, QB, out of Idaho State University. Finished third overall to in the Walter Payton award, for the most outstanding offensive player in the FCS, considering that ISU doesn't get the resepect it deserve. Finished with all the school records at QB, finished with the most yards out of any QB...he keeps his eyes down field and has good arm strength. He deserves to be picked up by an NFL team. If Jimmy Garropolo gets picked up after winning the Walter Payton award, then there's hope. John Roberston (winner) and Vernon Davis Jr. (a good QB, but seriously...how the heck did he get first team Big Sky...when he missed four games!!) would be solid options come 2016. Slightly undersized...but...and maybe it's because I've seen him in action at the Holt and he's produced some amazing games...very much like Drew Brees, in that he's a 6ft, 215lbs pocket passer with the ability to scramble in clutch situations.

Sammie Coates and Amari Cooper have announced their intention to join the draft, and they will be studs at the next level, but Coates is more raw and lacks ideal size, and his routes are a little sloppy for the slot role. There are few outstanding running backs, who may or may not declare though. I think after this lost season, Todd Gurley might just declare, and after his coach left, maybe Melvin Gordon might declare for the draft. Both are round one running backs. Jay Ajayi of BSU could be an intriguing option. He has the most yards from scrimmage, is an every down back, and has the size to be a punishing bellcow, and he has suggested that he intends to join the draft...but he has ball security issues, which could be a problem. He had one fumble against Fresno State in the MWCCG, where he had only three points of contact running between the tackles...which is concerning considering that everyone is taught five points of contact, and cover it when running between the tackles, however.

In terms of TEs, well...there are no senior andidates that leap out. Clive Walford is currently grading out as the best senior tight end, with 'soft natural hands', and good skills as a blocker. He had a huge game against FSU, but there are concerns about his athleticism for the next level. Pharaoh Brown, of Oregon, has the tools at 6ft6, 250lbs, 4.70 40 yard dash to compete at the next level. Nick O'Leary (grandson of the Jack Nicklaus) would be a reach in the 2-4th rounds, and he's one of the better TEs of the class, with good speed. But it's a good year for blocking tight ends. Jeff Heuerman of the Ohio State University, C.J. Uzomah of Auburn, and Ben Koyack of Notre Dame, stand out, but they are later round prospects. They have the ability to be able to increase their recieving production, but are good fits as a #2 TE. Nevertheless, a good combine here or there, would improve where they go. If Nick O'Leary was to run a 4.5, then it will pique the interest of some of the teams. Maxx Williams is a sophomore, who is currently grading out as the best TE overall. Devin Funchess could be a good option but he's undersized at 230lbs, and while he has good length and speed for the TE position, he would be too slow at recieiver. Silly Michigan.

It's a better draft for O-line and defense though. It's a good year for 3-4 defensive lines. Danny Shelton of Washington is an excellent NT prospect, with excellent size for the position. Mario Edwards Jr and Eddie Goldman both of FSU, are excellent 3-4 ends at the next level. Jordan Phillips could be a good option if he declares for the draft, at NT. For 4-3 schemes, Leonard Williams would be a good fit at DT, or a good fit at 3-4 end. It's not really a good year for pass rush (4-3 ends or 3-4 OLBs) (sorry Atlanta fans) considering 1. How many teams need pass rush 2. The good pass rushers in college football are undersized for the next level. I like the look of Jordan Jenkins, if he declares, who could go in rounds 2-4, and Benardrick McKinney who could go round one or two. Bronson Kaufusi of BYU...the rest are just too small, too slow or both. Tony Washington has size and just enough speed to be a threat. If Michael Sam was in this draft, chances are, he goes ahead of most of the 3-4 OLBs or 4-3 ends, and is drafted in the third.

It will be a draft of secondary, secondary, and offensive lines, in the first. La'el Collins (LSU, RT or G), Daryl Williams (Oklahoma, RT), Tyrus Thompson (Oklahoma LT who would be more suited to RT or G at NFL level), Tyler Sambrailo (Colarado State, OT), Cedric Ogbuehi (Texas A&M, OT), Brandon Scherff (who should be a RT or G at the next level) are all seniors with 1st, or 1-2nd round grades. If he declares, Andrus Peat, would be the best talent at OT. If your team needs o-line help, this is the draft to get it...(looking at you Oakland, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Atlanta, etc etc etc).

There's some good safeties available later in the draft, but if he declares Landon Collins is the consensus best pick, but he would be a SS in the NFL, due to concerns about his coverage. To say he did not have a good game in the Iron Bowl...is a bit of an understatement. If Oregon do well in the playoffs, expect Ifo Ekpre-Olomu to go in the first round. PJ Williams and Ronald Darby, if they declare could go anything from first to third rounds.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ So, in short....FCS...it's your time to shine!!

ReputationRep:
    So....Cutler's been benched. Good riddance.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/12/...-jimmy-clausen

ReputationRep:
    Just dropped him from my fantasy team for Mark Sanchez. Oh my, what a season this has been

ReputationRep:
    Great insight! Thanks for that run down.

Cutler benched... I have no idea how to feel about Forte's fantasy value.

ReputationRep:
    Fully expect the Rams to grab a QB in the next draft, most likely somewhere in the mid rounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott129)
    Fully expect the Rams to grab a QB in the next draft, most likely somewhere in the mid rounds.
    Such a shame he could be out of St. Louis. I hope a team takes a chance on him...he's a talent...and his injuries just seem to come at the worst time, as he has shown so much improvement. He'd be an excellent reclaimation project for someone like...Marc Trestman.

Great insight! Thanks for that run down.

Cutler benched... I have no idea how to feel about Forte's fantasy value.
    You're welcome. In terms of mock drafts, there's a few which are starting to appear...but it's all hit and miss and completely dependent on certain underclass-men declaring for the draft or not. Expect to see a few more mock drafts come January 15th or so.

Forte's receiving value goes down, and that's where a lot of his fantasy value is derived from. However his rushing value goes up, as it's a given that Chicago will lean on the run game...so it's a confusing one. But then, they are facing the Detroit Lions...so that will be a tough matchup for them.

Interestingly that SB Nation article pointed out that Ian Rapoport has suggested that Cutler has played his last match in Chicago. If they take that $19M cap hit and release him, I would be shocked...but at this point they'd probably settle for that and write next season off, to rebuild through the draft. Yikes.

ReputationRep:
    And yes..while I'm guessing I'm piling on Da Bears here...

WHEN MIKE DITKA TURNS OFF HIS TV IN DISGUST....that's when you have a real problem.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/...ff-bears-games

(That Wrecking Ball reference though)...:P

ReputationRep:
    I can see him going to Tampa Bay (Lovie Smith connection) or Tennessee (Vanderbilt connection) and playing a sort of Matt Schaub "mentor/competitor" style role to Mike Glennon or Zach Mettenberger. Then Chicago take Sam Bradford.

ReputationRep:
    Not surprising they had to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone checking in for the 1st pick of the draft match on TNF?

Well the Jags Offense has been utterly pathetic halfway through Q2. Rubbish O-Line play, sub par playcalling and some iffy QB play so far

ReputationRep:
    Anyone checking in for the 1st pick of the draft match on TNF?

Well the Jags Offense has been utterly pathetic halfway through Q2. Rubbish O-Line play, sub par playcalling and some iffy QB play so far
    I only caught the highlights, but from what I saw the Jags were solid. I'm going to put it out there...this defense is legit. A few more pieces in the secondary, depth additions in linebacker, but the Jags can pretty much go with a best player available. Bortles is 'the guy', so add the pieces to help him out. I would be surprised if the Jags go 1. OL, 2. DB 3. RB 4. CB 5. LB 6. OG 7. LB, to be honest. They are close. I just can't help but think how good this defense would have been with the Poz still in it, though.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure why people are saying the Patriots or Broncos should be scared of the Ravens. Makes no sense.

ReputationRep:
    The Ravens D is hitting full strength atm. Joe Flacco is clutch when it comes to pressure situations. Could see them taking the Colts but no way are they beating the Broncos or Pats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cant_think_of_name)
    The Ravens D is hitting full strength atm. Joe Flacco is clutch when it comes to pressure situations. Could see them taking the Colts but no way are they beating the Broncos or Pats
    I don't buy it. They have no quality wins this year. Half their wins are from playing against the putrid NFC south.

They have no cornerbacks or safeties. They play a team that can pass and they will be annihilated. I want the Ravens because I would be confident that we would utterly stuff them. Same with the Broncos. No way are Ravens keeping up with them.

ReputationRep:
    I give the Ravens a better chance of beating the Broncos or Pats than I gave the 2011 Giants of beating the Packers. If you have probably a top 3 O line, a good pass rush and a quarterback who has shown flashes of being among the best, "any given Sunday" is definitely a real thing.

Patriots looks really really good as much as they're the only team I don't really like in the entire league (Falcons don't count because nobody cares about them). Gronk pretty much masks all of Brady's weaknesses, and honestly he is improving every year he's healthy.

ReputationRep:
    KJ Wright and Cliff Avril signed to deals in the last 48 hours, good to see this team being kept together. Just need Maxwell and Kearse to sign and that'll be the starters wrapped up

(Original post by Malevolent)
    I don't buy it. They have no quality wins this year. Half their wins are from playing against the putrid NFC south.

They have no cornerbacks or safeties. They play a team that can pass and they will be annihilated. I want the Ravens because I would be confident that we would utterly stuff them. Same with the Broncos. No way are Ravens keeping up with them.
    I'll give you that the secondary is weak (well, it straight up sucks tbh). I don't think they're going to do anything special. But they could beat the Colts on a good day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Not sure why people are saying the Patriots or Broncos should be scared of the Ravens. Makes no sense.
    The have the best pass rush in the league, they have one of the best (top 3) olines, in terms of pass protection, and run blocking. They run the ball with authority...and Flacco can throw the ball 60-70 yards easily. But....I fear the Ravens because of Rahim Moore (ugh...shudders....).

(Original post by SmashConcept)
    I give the Ravens a better chance of beating the Broncos or Pats than I gave the 2011 Giants of beating the Packers. If you have probably a top 3 O line, a good pass rush and a quarterback who has shown flashes of being among the best, "any given Sunday" is definitely a real thing.

Patriots looks really really good as much as they're the only team I don't really like in the entire league (Falcons don't count because nobody cares about them). Gronk pretty much masks all of Brady's weaknesses, and honestly he is improving every year he's healthy.
    Well, if the Falcons win out, they are in the playoffs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.