Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Tafseer Ibn Katheer (rahimahullah), with regards to the huroof muqatta'aat:

The wisdom behind mentioning these letters in the beginning of the Surahs, regardless of the exact meanings of these letters, is that they testify to the miracle of the Qur'an. Indeed, the servants are unable to produce something like the Qur'an, although it is comprised of the same letters with which they speak to each other. This opinion was mentioned by Ar-Razi in his Tafsir who related it to Al-Mubarrid and several other scholars. Al-Qurtubi also related this opinion to Al-Farra' and Qutrub. Az-Zamakhshari agreed with this opinion in his book, Al-Kashshaf. In addition, the Imam and scholar Abu Al-`Abbas Ibn Taymiyyah and our Shaykh Al-Hafiz Abu Al-Hajjaj Al-Mizzi agreed with this opinion. Al-Mizzi told me that it is also the opinion of Shaykh Al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah. KAz-Zamakhshari said that these letters, "Were not all mentioned once in the beginning of the Qur'an. Rather, they were repeated so that the challenge (against the creation) is more daring. Similarly, several stories were mentioned repeatedly in the Qur'an, and also the challenge was repeated in various areas (i.e., to produce something like the Qur'an).

The following are some of the reflections mentioned by Sa'id Nursi (rahimahullah):

The spelling out of the letters by disjoining them is an indication that it is alluding to the material of the art, as though providing pen and paper for those wanting to dispute them by writing. It is as if the Qur'an is saying: "Hey you obstinate rivals, you're the masters of fine speech! You have at your disposal the materials I had when I devised these. You do likewise if you can!"

Being devoid of meaning, the disjointing of the letters indicates that [the Qur'an's] opponents have been left without proof. For they say: "We don't know the facts, stories, and ordinances that we might dispute you." So it appears the Qur'an is saying: "I only want you to produce [something similar to] the eloquent ordering (nazm al-balâgha) [of the letters], even if it's made up."

Calling the letters by their names is the custom of scholars and writers. But both the one uttering this speech and those listening to him were unlettered. Considering its character, therefore, the letters being in this unexpected form infers that "this speech is not his but was imparted to him."

Spelling out letters syllable by syllable is particular to learners of reading and writing. It is understood from this then that the Qur'an was establishing a new way and was teaching illiterate people.

Note that in the above passages, neither of the authors attributed meanings to them - rather they discussed some of the wisdoms behind their revelation and their relevance to the audience of the Quranic revelation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phew1)
    Not Fair!! :mad:

My exams finishes on 12 June
    lol been there, done that.

ReputationRep:
    Masha'Allah, love this recitation

ReputationRep:
    Is there a specific way that you guys go over memorising the Quran?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruh)
    Is there a specific way that you guys go over memorising the Quran?
    Start from the back, when you've completed two Juz' then you can begin with Surah Baqarah. That's the way I've been told by my ustadha. There maybe different opinions on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LotusBlue)
    lol been there, done that.

Mine finishes the 16th....luckily 2 days before ramadan.... but truly feel sorry for the GCSE lot and those doing A level arabic exam..its a killer ...

ReputationRep:
    Kitab Al Kafi H 3249, CH 39, h 1
    A number of our people havenarrated from Ahmad ibn Muhammad from ‘Amr
    ibn ‘Uthman and Ali ibn Ibrahimhas narrated from his father all from ‘Abd
    Allah ibn al-Mughirah from ibnMuskan from abu Basir Layth al-Muradi from
    Abd al-Karim ibn ‘Utbah who hassaid the following:

“I heard abu ‘Abd Allah saying, ‘Whoever (sincerely) says ten times before sunrise and before sunset, ‘No one deserves to be worshipped except Allah alone Who has no partner, the Kingdom is His, all praise belongs to Him, He gives life, causes death, causes death and gives life, He is living and will never die, in His hands is the good and He has power over all things,’this will be the remedy and expiation for his sins on that day.’”الحديث الأول : صحيح ، وعتبة بضم العينوسكون التاء ، ورواه البرقي في المحاسن

ReputationRep:
    Alhamdulillah: All praise is due to Allah (SWT)

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Assalam o alyakum ya ikhwani!

New breddah on tsr

ReputationRep:
    “Imam Ahmad refused to debate with the head of the mu’tazilla of the time. He said "I will not debate him, I did not see him in any of the classes of the muhadditheen.

"Imam Ahmad refused to debate someone because the person taught himself, and so it was not even worth the time to debate.

Now people teach themselves and make the silliest mistakes and call themselves muhaddith.”

- Shaykh Akram Nadwi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatMuslimGuy)
    “Imam Ahmad refused to debate with the head of the mu’tazilla of the time. He said "I will not debate him, I did not see him in any of the classes of the muhadditheen.

"Imam Ahmad refused to debate someone because the person taught himself, and so it was not even worth the time to debate.

Now people teach themselves and make the silliest mistakes and call themselves muhaddith.”

- Shaykh Akram Nadwi
    ِAt least if someone taught themselves they put in effort, now a days we have people who have seen a few mins of videos in some forsaken corner or read something on a blog somewhere and they are experts:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Have you guys read When the Moon Splits
    I'm gonna read it after my exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ums maestro)
    How bad is it that we get so stressed/panic etc for these little exams, yet we forgot about the real exam.. The exam set by allah swt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes that's right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imreallysorry)
    Assalam o alyakum ya ikhwani!

New breddah on tsr
    Wa 'alaykum asslaam wa rahmatullah

Welcome to the ISOC

ReputationRep:
    الَّذِي خَلَقَنِي فَهُوَ يَهْدِينِ
    وَالَّذِي هُوَ يُطْعِمُنِي وَيَسْقِينِ
    وَإِذَا مَرِضْتُ فَهُوَ يَشْفِينِ
    وَالَّذِي يُمِيتُنِي ثُمَّ يُحْيِينِ

He who created me, and He [it is who] guides me.
    And it is He who feeds me and gives me drink.
    And when I am ill, it is He who cures me
    And who will cause me to die and then bring me to life

[Surah ash-Shu'araa', ayaat 78-81]

Sh. ash-Sha'raawi said about this passage:

(Original post by ash-Sha'raawi)
    The pronoun "He" was introduced in the above ayah because the actions needed confirmation that Allah was behind these blessings.
    ie. He who created me, He guides me, He feeds me, He cures me

He goes on to say:
    (Original post by ash-Sha'raawi)
    It is only by His will that we are able to attain them. Both sustenance and cure from sickness are made possible by His will and providence.
    In contrast, the pronounce "He" was omitted in the last sentence because no one could pretend to possess the power of giving life or taking it away. The exclusiveness of this attribute to Allah needed no justification or confirmation. Thus, Allah adds one word or omits another according to the needs of the situation, so that the precise and desired meaning be accurately and adequately expressed.
    In other words, to give death and to then give life is exclusively an act that Allah ta'ala can do - nobody else, hence to further emphasise that this act is exclusive to Him, He did not even necessitate the mention of the pronoun "He" with regards to it as there is no question as to who can do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloom77)
    Have you guys read When the Moon Splits
    I'm gonna read it after my exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I read half of it a long time ago, and never found the chance to finish it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    I read half of it a long time ago, and never found the chance to finish it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Was it actually about the moon splitting event or some stuff else? What is it about

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sh. ash-Sha'raawi also writes:

A further illustration of the accuracy of the Our'an in the selection and use of words to convey new meaning can be observed in the following verse:

". . . and that ye slay not your children because of penury - We provide for you and for them . . ." (al-An'am 6:151)

It is also demonstrated in the following verse from the passage of al-Isra' which deals with the same issue:

"Slay not your children, fearing a fall to poverty. We provide for them and for you ..." (al-Isra' 17:31)

On the surface there seems to be no difference in meaning between the sentences 'We provide for you and for them' and 'We provide for them and for YOU'. But a close examination of the two verses will soon reveal that the first refers to poverty which already exists, for a poor man's primary concern is how to provide for himself and his wife. He is in constant fear of the hardship he is bound to face if the size of his family increases. Hence came Allah's assurance "We provide for you and for them" (i.e. when they are born). He is telling him not to worry in advance about the difficulties of providing for his future children, because He alone determines the sustenance of all His creatures.
    In the second verse the persons referred to are not poor, but although they are well provided for, they are still apprehensive that the birth of more children may create new difficulties, and eventually poverty. Here again Allah assures them that the birth of children will not take away any part of their parents' sustenance, and that each child's sustenance is being determined by Him at birth.
    Some may ask, why did Allah not say, "We provide for all" instead of 'for you and them,' or 'for them and you'? The reason is that He wanted to make it clear that every creature on this earth has its own share of His bounty, which is divided among them according to His will and wisdom, and that no one can take even the smallest part of the other's share, nor does the birth of a new child diminish what had already been decided for his parents.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.