Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts if potentially Perez and Mustafi are our last signings??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDan123)
    Thoughts if potentially Perez and Mustafi are our last signings??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd be satisfied. They are very much what we need. I have been saying it for years that it is our defence that has been the major concern for years. Cast your mind back a few years when we had Woolwich Chesney and Djourou as our spine.

I mean... think about all the defenders we have had since the invincibles. We are on the verge of having a very capable defence again. For instance, it gives Ramsey much more freedom to be the player we know he can be. He is not great with defensive responsibility but with the new players I don't think he has to be.

The striker situation is good also if this guy turns out very good we don't need a WC striker per se as we also have Giroud. Also, the new guys give us a lot more tactical flexibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)
    that's because you're looking at up market hijabi, you need some Tesco value hijabi from Edgware road
    you ever walked down brick lane? never seen a change in demographic in such a small space. first you got about 20 bossmans kebabs and bangladeshi joints and bare hijabis, then you walk 10 metres down the road and you got all that vintage market stuff full of chicas in small skirts and lairy shirts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClockEnderAFC)
    Imagine if we knocked tottenham out in the semi's to get there :coma:

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Scum in the CL would be amazing tbh

North London will be ****ed for 2-3 weeks

ReputationRep:
    Imagine if we knocked tottenham out in the semi's to get there :coma:

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Only to lose to a last minute Vardy goal from a Mahrez assist. :drool: :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.Carnell)
    I'd be satisfied. They are very much what we need. I have been saying it for years that it is our defence that has been the major concern for years. Cast your mind back a few years when we had Woolwich Chesney and Djourou as our spine.

I mean... think about all the defenders we have had since the invincibles. We are on the verge of having a very capable defence again. For instance, it gives Ramsey much more freedom to be the player we know he can be. He is not great with defensive responsibility but with the new players I don't think he has to be.

The striker situation is good also if this guy turns out very good we don't need a WC striker per se as we also have Giroud. Also, the new guys give us a lot more tactical flexibility.
    Good point, adding Mustafi would make our back four very formidable. The Mertesacker and Kos partnership has been usually solid for the past few years, so it'll be interesting to see how Mustafi and Kos play together hopefully.

Tbh on paper Perez seems pretty good but I guess time will tell. Imo I don't think Wenger would ever had gone 50+ million for a striker, and the only target in his price range was Lacazette but now even he's too expensive. Just so much frustration this summer ngl.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDan123)
    Good point, adding Mustafi would make our back four very formidable. The Mertesacker and Kos partnership has been usually solid for the past few years, so it'll be interesting to see how Mustafi and Kos play together hopefully.

Tbh on paper Perez seems pretty good but I guess time will tell. Imo I don't think Wenger would ever had gone 50+ million for a striker, and the only target in his price range was Lacazette but now even he's too expensive. Just so much frustration this summer ngl.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why pay £50m for a tier 2 striker? If we are going to get truly top class Wenger would these days willingly pay a huge fee I think. Higuain obviously was not worth the money quoted and Wenger sees him as tier 2.

Would he pay £85m+ for tier 1 players like Griezmann? I think so, yes. Because these are once in a generation types of players that win you big ears. Higuain doesn't... the margins are thin and you pay the big premium for that extra bit of quality.

The benchmark for the type of striker Wenger truly wants is Henry level. You pay what is asked for those. It is what the fans truly want too. The fans won't be happy with a Vardy or a Lacazette, you heard the complaints. The only way Wenger will truly be seen as doing the right thing is if he pays big big money for a tier 1 striker, I think in the best interests of the club he is waiting to do so. He knows that is the level of signing you need to win big ears... and he would spend £50m+ on a special striker that is around the top in the world. He spent £40m+ for who he saw as the best no.10.

He is carrying through with his promises of strengthening the team from back to front, so I trust the guy's judgment. But yes, he absolutely messed up with the Suarez offer since those opportunities to get a tier 1 striker don't come around often.

We got Henry by luck. We got Van Persie by years of development under the guidance of tier 1 players.

ReputationRep:
    Wenger only wants Perez because he's cheap I'm sick of this guy he will never spend big on a striker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    Wenger only wants Perez because he's cheap I'm sick of this guy he will never spend big on a striker

Spending big on the likes of Higuain is ridiculous. He, for example, has never proven himself a game changer in the WC or CL.

I genuinely believe Arsenal fans want to see the guy spend £100m on a single player purely for the sound of spending big money even if the player is not up to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the most expensive striker he's ever signed.

ReputationRep:
    Fans would not have been happy with Vardy or Lacazette. They would have been convinced that Higuain would be the solution but he is not I assure you. I.e. Why spend big money on these players and still have fans unhappy at the choice? If we are going to spend money we may as well wait and spend the big money it takes to get a top top striker , tier 1. Lewandowski, Griezmann standard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    Scum in the CL would be amazing tbh

North London will be ****ed for 2-3 weeks
    1-1 in the first leg at Emirates. 2nd leg at the lane. 1-1 in the 94th minute. Ramsey late run into the box and slots it into the bottom corner. The Arsenal are off to Cardiff. Imagine the scenes. Just imagine them. Hold me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    price doesn't determine quality; don't forget mahrez was bought for 425k and he's one of the best players in england atm

ReputationRep:
    1-1 in the first leg at Emirates. 2nd leg at the lane. 1-1 in the 94th minute. Ramsey late run into the box and slots it into the bottom corner. The Arsenal are off to Cardiff. Imagine the scenes. Just imagine them. Hold me.
    Stop making me dream :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    If Perez & Mustafi deals go through then we'd have spent more than during the window in which we bought Sanchez, Debuchy, Chambers and Welbeck

ReputationRep:
    Spending big on the likes of Higuain is ridiculous. He, for example, has never proven himself a game changer in the WC or CL.

I genuinely believe Arsenal fans want to see the guy spend £100m on a single player purely for the sound of spending big money even if the player is not up to it.
    He is only targeting cheap strikers that's the only reason he was interested in Vardy because he was 20m. He used to be able to pick up quality for cheap but he can no longer do it so he must spend big.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    He is only targeting cheap strikers that's the only reason he was interested in Vardy because he was 20m. He used to be able to pick up quality for cheap but he can no longer do it so he must spend big.
    Who would have been good that is available, expensive and tier 1 too?

If those sorts of players are not available the best you can do is pay less for a very good player.

People advocating spending £60m on Lacazette are silly.

ReputationRep:
    Thank the Lord Wenger is ditching his midget team project.

New players: Xhaka: 6'1" Holding: 6'2.5" Mustafi: 6'0" Lucas: 6'0"

ReputationRep:
    Thank the Lord Wenger is ditching his midget team project.

New players: Xhaka: 6'1" Holding: 6'2.5" Mustafi: 6'0" Lucas: 6'0"
    3 of the 4 are shorter than the player currently in their position, so if anything the team is getting smaller

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    3 of the 4 are shorter than the player currently in their position, so if anything the team is getting smaller

Which ones?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 7, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.