Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know any good resources or have any notes on pain I could steal? Specifically the tracts/fibres and what they do. I'm pretty safe on nocioceptors and sodium channels but I'm struggling with those bits. The lectures we had on it are really confusing /contradictory at worst and sketchy at best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Why? We don't get taught until start of 4th year either - we don't go on clinical placement before that so there's no point being able to take blood if it's just from a plastic arm.
    We had a short placement in 2nd year so leaked then. I assumed as he said in hospital it would be the same thing/similar and so they should have been taught. If not then fair enough.

We took blood of each other in first year though, our how to was just a video then get on with it with a few people supervising. Although we are not allowed to practice on each other in hospital apparently in the uni labs it was ok...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Anyone know any good resources or have any notes on pain I could steal? Specifically the tracts/fibres and what they do. I'm pretty safe on nocioceptors and sodium channels but I'm struggling with those bits. The lectures we had on it are really confusing /contradictory at worst and sketchy at best.
    Theres a really good powerpoint a guy in my year made on pain and passed round to the rest of the year - quite simplistic to begin with. It should be in my dropbox folder so have a look in there - can't remember what I named the file though.

ReputationRep:
    I feel that I have done a good deed today by letting the baby medical students listen to my infected asthmatic chest at my GP appointment. Didnt expect eight of them to come in though. Some of them looked so nervous and were barely even putting the stetheoscope anywhere near my chest. I wonder if i ever looked like that?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody have access to this paper?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19920157

Will plus rep!

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, I hate literature reviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Ugh, I hate literature reviews.
    If you can get hold of an UpToDate login, that is essentially one big-ass searchable literature review. Brilliant website!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisismycatch22)
    Well, there is a point. Plastic arms are often actually harder than people with good veins e.g. fellow students/young fit patients. And of course there is the "not doing the procedure for first time on a person" aspect... given that forgetting simple parts of procedure which you can easily practice on a plastic arm (taking off tourniquet before taking out needle, sharps discipline) can lead to major ****ups on a real person, there's probably quite a bit of use in doing it.
    My meaning was more what Becca-Sarah explained - we don't (and I don't think UCL does really) go on any significant clinical placements until 4th year, therefore there's no point learning clinical skills until then, really. We do use plastic arms and there is a point to them, but if we learnt on them in 1st year and then didn't get to go do it on people until 4th year, it would be pretty silly.

We aren't officially "signed off" on most clinical skills, you're just supposed to be supervised until your supervisor is happy you can do it independently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)

Will plus rep!
    Nope, sorry, couldn't get.

ReputationRep:

Will plus rep!
    Nothing from BL either

(Original post by fairy spangles)
    I feel that I have done a good deed today by letting the baby medical students listen to my infected asthmatic chest at my GP appointment. Didnt expect eight of them to come in though. Some of them looked so nervous and were barely even putting the stetheoscope anywhere near my chest. I wonder if i ever looked like that?
    We had a patient with a bad chest and like four of us went in to check. If they're young/male some of us get nervous around chicks as we never ever get to examine them and not sure what to do. I never had that problem as I made my girlfriend be my clinical skills dummy . I know a lot of people who have though, it's made worse by the fact consultants never give you any leeway as a male examining a woman for the first time for a CV/R exam.

(Original post by Medicine Man)
    Theres a really good powerpoint a guy in my year made on pain and passed round to the rest of the year - quite simplistic to begin with. It should be in my dropbox folder so have a look in there - can't remember what I named the file though.
    I'll take a look now in a minute once I get back from Co-Op. Flatmates dragging me there.

ReputationRep:
    x
    Nah sorry, no luck on my side either.

ReputationRep:
    x
    Enjoy.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf2012.full.pdf (174.3 KB, 99 views)
    • PS Helper

oh gosh. such an awkward moment. literally pressed 'send' for my application to imperial for gastro and hepatology and now realised i spelt crohn's disease incorrectly. fml. would not blame them if they rejected me just for that!

ReputationRep:
    I never had that problem as I made my girlfriend be my clinical skills dummy .
    Yeah, she was mine too.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by win2kpro)
    Enjoy.
    Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by win2kpro)
    Enjoy.
    What? How? We go to the same university. I don't understand.

(Original post by digitalis)
    Yeah, she was mine too.
    ._.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    If you can get hold of an UpToDate login, that is essentially one big-ass searchable literature review. Brilliant website!
    Couldn't agree more with this...uptodate is incredible

ReputationRep:
    instant notes in neuroscience section is a reasonable introduction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisismycatch22)
    Well, there is a point. Plastic arms are often actually harder than people with good veins e.g. fellow students/young fit patients. And of course there is the "not doing the procedure for first time on a person" aspect... given that forgetting simple parts of procedure which you can easily practice on a plastic arm (taking off tourniquet before taking out needle, sharps discipline) can lead to major ****ups on a real person, there's probably quite a bit of use in doing it.
    I'm not convinced forgetting to take the tourniquet off is that big a deal, and theoretically all medical students should be clear of blood born diseases so there is a far lower risk with needle sticks. Not that I wouldn't still mind being stuck with my friend's blood...

I heard a rumour that one or two medical schools stopped peer to peer venupuncture because someone pranged a nerve. How true that is, I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    I've never taken bloods before. :sad: Some people here were taught it in their 1st/2nd year MedSoc placements, but most learn on their first year of clinicals, which in my case will be year 4 of 6.
    I took blood when I was in Mexico I used syringes :p:

But yeah in second year MedSoc we got taught in our last session :yep:

But you'll get to do them eventually, it's not too bad depending on the person's veins

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.