Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mothrana)
    How did you arrange a Skype interview? Is it unavailable for some courses?

I'm an international applying for Medicine and in my e-mail it said that we were required to attend an interview in Oxford.
    It's different for medicine I believe. Everyone has to go for interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jellybanana)
    I had a history interview yesterday where we discussed my written work, but the whole thing was just her picking out every flaw (turns out there was loads) and making me talk about why I was wrong! Did anyone else have a similar experience?

I'm so worried now, I feel like I submitted a horrible essay and this was there way of telling me!
    What!! That sounds rather... mean of her
    Did she expand on why they were flaws though? Or was it: this this and that is wrong, tell me why?

Curiously enough, the interviewers completely skipped my written work! And I spent the whole morning writing lists supporting my points and cramming info in my head as well

ReputationRep:
    My email from wadham college didn't really say much other than a time to arrive. Will they just tell me when and where(which other colleges) my interviews are when I turn up? Or should I contact them and ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09sstinson)
    My email from wadham college didn't really say much other than a time to arrive. Will they just tell me when and where(which other colleges) my interviews are when I turn up? Or should I contact them and ask?
    There will usually be a noticeboard with interview times once you get there

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:

I'm an international applying for Medicine and in my e-mail it said that we were required to attend an interview in Oxford.
    Hello mothrana,

That is correct. Applicants for Medicine are expected to attend interview in Oxford, and are not able to be interviewed by Skype. Candidates in all other courses may be offered a Skype interview if they are resident outside the EEA. If you would like to know more about Skype interviews you can visit the University website: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...ional-students.

Brasenose Admissions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somnacin)
    I just did my Skype interview! Good luck!
    Thank you! How was yours?

(Original post by Skitee)
    I did my Maths skype interview this time last year and got in, all the best! Don't stress haha even if you get one or two questions wrong it doesn't really matter, they expect it to be honest!
    Congratulations! Thank you! I did what I could haha. Now time to wait. Did you get called in for another interview by a different college?

Medicine applicants are required to fly to Oxford unfortunately. It's a rule they have that medics have to fly. >.< all the best for your interview though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AzizanW)
    Thank you! How was yours?
    Don't want to jinx it, but surprisingly fun! It was interesting and I think we had a good discussion going. You?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jellybanana)
    I had a history interview yesterday where we discussed my written work, but the whole thing was just her picking out every flaw (turns out there was loads) and making me talk about why I was wrong! Did anyone else have a similar experience?

I'm so worried now, I feel like I submitted a horrible essay and this was there way of telling me!
    That's what real tutorials are like!

You can't tell from the interview which way it went. You just have to stand in the agony queue until Jan 6th. I don't know if it helps but you are certainly not on your own. I suppose people only post the bad experiences, but you don't see the posts crammed with good ones. Whichever way it went don't let it spoil the next month.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like my interviews went terrible the more I think about it. I kept doing really stupid things and the interviewers looked so unimpressed when I made mistakes (or maybe that's just me overthinking). The interviewer said in my first interview during a long question 'sorry for pushing you' ????? i'm worried that means 'sorry for pushing you, you're obviously not clever enough to be pushed'. I also apologised at the end for being nervous and taking forever to get to the right answer in one of the questions. The questions were quite difficult and I kept hearing 'but why?' and 'what does that mean then?' and a lot of my questions were rephrased because they could see I was struggling a bit. Meh. I know there's nothing I can do now and despite the trauma I really enjoyed working through the problems, they were so challenging I was really excited for them. But then at other times I think of the mistakes I made and the confused expressions they had when my answers were SO unclear. I was just a nervous wreck of babble and never really explained things properly. I can't even talk to anyone at my school because there's only one other Oxford applicant who hasn't been for their interview yet! It seems that a lot of you guys feel this way though so maybe it's just a general feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09sstinson)
    I'm at Wadham! You turn up at the porters lodge and they will show you where your room is, as well as something called the old refectory. This is open between 8:30am and 7pm, it's where people wait to be taken to interview, and just generally hang out. There's a notice board there, which has the times of all the interviews, it will say next to your name. Good luck for the interview!

ReputationRep:
    Just had my interview for Biology over Skype. It couldn't have gone better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mechanism)
    I feel like my interviews went terrible the more I think about it. I kept doing really stupid things and the interviewers looked so unimpressed when I made mistakes (or maybe that's just me overthinking). The interviewer said in my first interview during a long question 'sorry for pushing you' ????? i'm worried that means 'sorry for pushing you, you're obviously not clever enough to be pushed'. I also apologised at the end for being nervous and taking forever to get to the right answer in one of the questions. The questions were quite difficult and I kept hearing 'but why?' and 'what does that mean then?' and a lot of my questions were rephrased because they could see I was struggling a bit. Meh. I know there's nothing I can do now and despite the trauma I really enjoyed working through the problems, they were so challenging I was really excited for them. But then at other times I think of the mistakes I made and the confused expressions they had when my answers were SO unclear. I was just a nervous wreck of babble and never really explained things properly. I can't even talk to anyone at my school because there's only one other Oxford applicant who hasn't been for their interview yet! It seems that a lot of you guys feel this way though so maybe it's just a general feel.
    dont worry about it! I had to ask my interviewers to clarify their question I'm both of my interviews, and one of them even said that what I wad saying was causing a dilemma for him. It was still really fun though! I try and stop myself from second guessing how I did because really, we all give it our best and there's nothing more we can do. You're obviously good enough to get here, remember that! What college/course you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    If anybody has had their English interviews, how did you feel that they went? I left Oxford yesterday and didn't catch a chance to ask any English applicants in particular how they thought theirs went

ReputationRep:
    How do the E&M'ers feel the interviews went?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hareve)
    Im at St Annes from the 13th through to the 16th for Computer Science, anyone else there? And any tips to prepare?
    Same days here, except for Maths Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    My second history interview was much better than my first - actually felt like I had time to talk

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehollowcrown)
    My second history interview was much better than my first - actually felt like I had time to talk

Posted from TSR Mobile
    same! (though my first was for politics). did your second also have a passage or just one of them? (also side question, are you going to the meet up tonight?)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got interview for Straight mathematics at Corpus christi?
    I heard they only take 4 undergraduates each year for maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AzizanW)
    Congratulations! Thank you! I did what I could haha. Now time to wait. Did you get called in for another interview by a different college?
    Yes I did haha, even though they initially told me specifically that I wouldn't get that opportunity, a couple of days later I got called in for an interview from St Hugh's. I'm not sure if that is commonplace or whether that's normal but don't be surprised if you get another one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skitee)
    Yes I did haha, even though they initially told me specifically that I wouldn't get that opportunity, a couple of days later I got called in for an interview from St Hugh's. I'm not sure if that is commonplace or whether that's normal but don't be surprised if you get another one!
    I see haha. I was informed that other colleges might contact me. I hope to just get Exeter though! It's really where I want to be haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.