The Manchester United Thread XIX Watch

This discussion is closed.
Major Zero
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
An FA Cup win and LVG sacked certainly puts a nice shine on an otherwise dissapointing season.
Major Zero
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
Yea but he brought some through at Barcelona whereas Mourinho never has and for an even longer period.

ps. what went wrong for LVGOAT?
He simply wasn't good enough. He was an appointing of convenience, rather than being first choice. He had his successes, Ajax being his crown jewel but we needed a much better manager to rebuild this Utd team.
Dirtybit
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Yea but he brought some through at Barcelona whereas Mourinho never has and for an even longer period.

He has never? Well that's wrong.
scriggy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know LVG had to go, and Mourinho is the obvious choice to build a title challenging team in the short term, but at what long term cost? Can probably expect a clear out of the youngsters to be replaced with slightly older mercenary types who fit his system. And how different is his style to Van Gaal in reality? You're still going to be defensive first and foremost.

Idk, just kind of feels like you're selling your soul for short term success.
Neverdie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How many Chelsea youth products have turned out good once Mourinho went the first time? He played the likes of Pidgeley, Swift, Sahar, where are they now? It depends on if you have the players. Real Madrid have a token Castilla, it's nothing like Barcelona. Remember Portillo? Always that one guy who was good but never quite good enough. How many of us playing as Real in FM or FIFA picked Portillo over Ronaldo (either of them)?

Certainly if he bumps down anyone playing as well as Rashford, that'd be a problem.
bj27
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Neverdie)
How many Chelsea youth products have turned out good once Mourinho went the first time? He played the likes of Pidgeley, Swift, Sahar, where are they now? It depends on if you have the players. Real Madrid have a token Castilla, it's nothing like Barcelona. Remember Portillo? Always that one guy who was good but never quite good enough. How many of us playing as Real in FM or FIFA picked Portillo over Ronaldo (either of them)?

Certainly if he bumps down anyone playing as well as Rashford, that'd be a problem.
Chelsea's youth system back then was nowhere near as good as it is now. The side has won numerous competitions at U19 level so you probably should have seen more game time for those top U19 prospects.

It depends on managers player development at crucial stages, how many times have you seen Wenger turn players who were ok players into world class players e.g? Look at Van Gaal's development at Barcelona e.g. and Fabregas played at Arsenal regularly as a 17 year old, that's what made him a top player e.g. you'd probably argue he wouldn't have developed at Barcelona because they had Xavi and Iniesta at the time who were ahead in their development.

Mourinho did introduce Morata to the first team, but he failed completely with Jese. Mourinho tends to give the players debuts in end of season dead rubbers anyway for him not to play them again next season.

He's a winner first and foremost.
Dirtybit
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lúcio)
He's surplus to requirements at Bayern and worked closely with Klopp at Dortmund.

I am by no means saying he'll come to Liverpool, but he's our top target and there are many reasons why he would. I guess we'll see.
LOL well that's your "top target" gone. He's not going to your poverty club. #KloppPull
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dirtybit)
LOL well that's your "top target" gone. He's not going to your poverty club. #KloppPull
Do we really want to get into how many quality players Man Utd have chased in the last 2-3 years and failed to acquire?
Lúcio
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Pls, we'll just get Isco.
Dirtybit
Rep:
?
Do we really want to get into how many quality players Man Utd have chased in the last 2-3 years and failed to acquire?

In the last 2-3 years we have been getting players you guys dream of getting lmao
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In the last 2-3 years we have been getting players you guys dream of getting lmao
Yea I'm really jealous we didn't get Fellani, Herrera or Depay for the bargain price of £80mil :rolleyes:
Dirtybit
Rep:
?
Yea I'm really jealous we didn't get Fellani, Herrera or Depay for the bargain price of £80mil :rolleyes:
Di Maria, Memphis, Martial, Shaw etc.

You guys were even desperate for Valdes and Falcao at the time and couldn't even get them
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Di Maria, Memphis, Martial, Shaw etc.

You guys were even desperate for Valdes and Falcao at the time and couldn't even get them
Not sure you can use ADM as an example considering he was a flop and left post haste. Depay another flop along with Valdes and Falcao.
xKay
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not sure you can use ADM as an example considering he was a flop and left post haste. Depay another flop along with Valdes and Falcao.
I didnt picture you as the bitter type
Lúcio
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In fairness, United are a wealthier and more reckless club with significantly greater success in the modern game, therefore I don't think it's any surprise they would attain higher quality players than us.

In recent years we've benefitted more from team chemistry rather than individual quality anyway and I have no doubt Klopp can still make us competitive even with a lesser pull.
bigmansouf
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lúcio)
It would make things interesting really.

Sturridge playing ahead of a trident of Coutinho, Götze and Firmino? That would rival some of the best attacking set-ups in the league.
Firimno is inconsistent but can Sturridge keep fit injury prone please ur manage like to rotate a lot so benteke is going to play more and will he score 30+ nahh

WHO???????
bigmansouf
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lúcio)
Pls, we'll just get Isco.
isco is the future of spanish real madrid he is not coming

STONES IS NOT WORTH 30 MILLION ANOTHER FELLANI
buy him for 25 mill but knowing mou who wants him
samir12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bigmansouf)
Firimno is inconsistent but can Sturridge keep fit injury prone please ur manage like to rotate a lot so benteke is going to play more and will he score 30+ nahh

WHO???????
Benteke might not even be at Liverpool next season and even if he stays, Origi and Ings are ahead of him. We don't have extra European games so don't have to rotate as often.
Dirtybit
Rep:
?
Dirtybit
Rep:
?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (216)
70.59%
No I haven't decided yet (57)
18.63%
Yes but I might change my mind (33)
10.78%

Watched Threads