Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyraell)
    I'm not convinced forgetting to take the tourniquet off is that big a deal, and theoretically all medical students should be clear of blood born diseases so there is a far lower risk with needle sticks. Not that I wouldn't still mind being stuck with my friend's blood...

I heard a rumour that one or two medical schools stopped peer to peer venupuncture because someone pranged a nerve. How true that is, I don't know.
    It is a bloody big deal. I have seen people not do it. It is rather...impressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    If you can get hold of an UpToDate login, that is essentially one big-ass searchable literature review. Brilliant website!
    Cheers dude, will check that out.

In other news, CoD night was rather awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    It is a bloody big deal. I have seen people not do it. It is rather...impressive.
    I've made this mistake Got blood all over my scrub bottoms, soaked right through the fabric and stained my entire thigh. Tis a mistake you only make once though... (or invent waterproof tights).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    I've made this mistake Got blood all over my scrub bottoms, soaked right through the fabric and stained my entire thigh. Tis a mistake you only make once though... (or invent waterproof tights).
    I think I should practice again on the plastic arms - not so much for the actual doing it ( I still remember that stuff) more for the procedural aspect. e.g. get this bit ready, put on tourniquet, take it off at the right time etc etc

I'll chat to you about specialty year if you want - do you have inbox space?

ReputationRep:
    Arranging radiology teaching (aka sitting in a dark, warm tutorial room) to happen after 7-8 hours of lectures probably wasn't the wisest move.

brb, intermittent microsleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Wait till you start doing art/central lines - blood everywhere is par for the course. Use an inco sheet to avoid the nurses' wrath.

Edit: However, I was not impressed when one of them insisted I use an inco for cannulation :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Did a vascular surgical attachment and saw 2 consultants literally get hosed down, in theatre, with blood all over the head, face, neck and front. Not much they could do mid-surgery. Nurse tried as best she could to at least wipe it from his eyes.

ReputationRep:
    How come i always **** up everything. Everything in my life is ****ed up. I was so nearly there and now i can put my head between my legs and kiss my arse goodbye to medicine. ****ing great. Did i mention **** **** ****!

END RANT!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Did a vascular surgical attachment and saw 2 consultants literally get hosed down, in theatre, with blood all over the head, face, neck and front. Not much they could do mid-surgery. Nurse tried as best she could to at least wipe it from his eyes.
    What the **** did they do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    How come i always **** up everything. Everything in my life is ****ed up. I was so nearly there and now i can put my head between my legs and kiss my arse goodbye to medicine. ****ing great. Did i mention **** **** ****!

END RANT!
    Breathe

What's up?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how to get a first on these BSC (Pharmacology/Physiology) essays & practical write ups? I guess if it were common knowledge everyone would be getting firsts but I'm desperate here. Sure they're worth <5% of my BSC but it's really getting on my nerves!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    What the **** did they do?
    Just wiped their eyes and carried on.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else heard anything about proposed changes to FPAS regarding moving academic and standard applications into the same time period?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Just wiped their eyes and carried on.
    I think he meant to cause it

(unless my sarcasm filter is on!)

ReputationRep:
    Just left George's bar. I must e honest and say I prefer it to Reynolds although not the imperial bars.
    Tooting is a strange place though. Someone at the bus stop started a conversation with me and offered me a cigarette in less than 10 seconds. Never happens in Chelsea. Was a pleasant surprise though.

ReputationRep:
    Rekorderlig. Yummy yayyy

That is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Rekorderlig. Yummy yayyy

That is all.
    Good stuff isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Wait till you start doing art/central lines - blood everywhere is par for the course. Use an inco sheet to avoid the nurses' wrath.
    Gotta love art lines :'D Last time I was with my tutor in ICU, radial wouldn't work and neither would ulnar so he went for femoral, eeeepic blood geyser there. I had fun that evening.

On another note, this may be a stupid question, but...do you guys say ICU or ITU in the UK? Or do you use them interchangeably?

(Original post by Mushi_master)
    In other news, CoD night was rather awesome.
    CoD, ayeeee?

(Original post by fairy spangles)

END RANT!
    Hey what's up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)

Edit: However, I was not impressed when one of them insisted I use an inco for cannulation :mad:
    It's really bad that when I read this I thought of the Central Line on the London Underground...

Clearly I've been in London for too long :sigh:

Or intercalating has ruined me :headfire:

ReputationRep:
    So I've been at uni for three, nearly four years now. All of my friends are students, mostly medics. When I go out, I chat to students. When I go to the gym, it's all students. When I go to one of my sports clubs, it's all students. I don't really have a family to return to as an escape from this. I think it's starting to get me really ****ing depressed. I miss actual real-life people.

I was at a club last night and I had girls chatting to me about their ****ing gap year, how exams went, how last semester was. I don't give a ****. I couldn't be more disinterested. I just stood there wanting to ****ing kill myself. However, I was also chatting to some bish who wasn't a student. It was probably the most enjoyable conversations I've had in a long while.

tl;dr - How do I break out of the student rut? I miss the real world. As much as I love medicine, my friends and being a student, I seriously need other time. I think I might take up some volunteering role again. (But if I come into contact with a medical applicant who insists on talking to me about medicine I will probably just go ahead and chop my balls off)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.