The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9700
Original post by Midlander
Really? So increasing the tax free allowance to £10k and committing hundreds of millions to job creation doesn't qualify for that in your eyes?

And none of these thousands you claim people are gaining very year (I know nobody that is thousands better off due to these measures), prevents this country being a mess. I hope you watch that video posted above. It's disgusting!

I am ashamed to be living in a country where this is true...

bmk93hzcmaaujur.jpg
(edited 9 years ago)
So it's just tinkering to give people thousands of pounds extra year? I know I could sure have used that when half my wages were going on rent a few years ago.

As for austerity-it is a harsh necessity of restoring the economy to strength.

People starving is a harsh necessity?

Instead of letting people starve...austerity could have been done by maybe not spending money on nuclear weapons?...I know what I think is more important.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 1tartanarmy
People starving is a harsh necessity?

Instead of letting people starve...austerity could have been done by maybe not spending money on nuclear weapons?...I know what I think is more important.

Now that isn't what I said is it. We can't spend money we haven't got and it is a failing of the previous governments as much as the present one that public expenditure was allowed to go unchecked and make cuts necessary in the first place.

Should cuts be made in other areas? I agree-but you can't accuse the present government of doing bugger all.
Original post by Boab
Bingo again! And who is it benefiting? The rich, not the poor!

You are quite happy to be a part of a country where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, but count me out.

Unemployment goes down and less of people's earnings goes to the taxman and you still think Joe Bloggs is being swindled. It was the Labour government which got a comfy majority in Scotland who racked up debt like it was going out of fashion and paved the way for resulting cuts.

Predictably people use austerity to bash the Tories with but it is their predecessors who should be under arguably greater scrutiny for making this a necessity.
Unemployment goes down and less of people's earnings goes to the taxman and you still think Joe Bloggs is being swindled. It was the Labour government which got a comfy majority in Scotland who racked up debt like it was going out of fashion and paved the way for resulting cuts.

Predictably people use austerity to bash the Tories with but it is their predecessors who should be under arguably greater scrutiny for making this a necessity.

Australia is about to invest 80billion Australian dollars in capital projects on infrastructure to create jobs and raise tax revenues to cut its budget deficit. That could have been the UK government - a decision that would have prevented the need to cut things. Like I have already said, investment in capital projects by borrowing to invest is the way to stimulate growth. Telling people that austerity is the only way to get out of the catastrophe that was created is ludicrous.
Original post by Boab
And none of these thousands you claim people are gaining very year (I know nobody that is thousands better off due to these measures), prevents this country being a mess. I hope you watch that video posted above. It's disgusting!

I am ashamed to be living in a country where this is true...

bmk93hzcmaaujur.jpg

What a surprise you don't know anybody who benefits. You don't need to talk to me about food banks considering my home city gets news articles on the very subject. Coventry's food banks are the busiest in the UK, despite Scots here seeming to think they are alone in having them:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/food-bank-visitors-in-coventry-compassion-has-disappeared-out-of-the-welfare-state-9263042.html

This is far from the only country having to undergo such measures, though, and if you think an iScotland with its multi billion pound deficit would be exempt from them you are sorely mistaken. We can't spend what we ain't got and that is not just down to this present government. The party Scotland sends most to Westminster every general election left this debt as their legacy.
We can't spend what we ain't got and that is not just down to this present government. The party Scotland sends most to Westminster every general election left this debt as their legacy.

So we can't borrow to invest then? I am sorry, that is just lies. That is how governments raise money they don't collect in tax receipts, a deficit in other words. They borrow that money from the markets, invest that money in capital projects, and the borrowed money is paid back from the investment. Anything above that is money for the Scottish Treasury.
Original post by Choo.choo
Australia is about to invest 80billion Australian dollars in capital projects on infrastructure to create jobs and raise tax revenues to cut its budget deficit. That could have been the UK government - a decision that would have prevented the need to cut things. Like I have already said, investment in capital projects by borrowing to invest is the way to stimulate growth. Telling people that austerity is the only way to get out of the catastrophe that was created is ludicrous.

Aren't you looking silly:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-infrastructure-plan-published-by-government

Also, the Labour party made a 50% tax rate for the rich one of its last acts in government. The problem is not the level of taxes but preventing high earners from avoiding paying.
Original post by Choo.choo
So we can't borrow to invest then? I am sorry, that is just lies. That is how governments raise money they don't collect in tax receipts, a deficit in other words. They borrow that money from the markets, invest that money in capital projects, and the borrowed money is paid back from the investment. Anything above that is money for the Scottish Treasury.

Except benefits aren't an investment. As I have just shown you in the post above and in several before, the UK government is making investments in local economies across England with the specific aim of regenerating industries in these areas. Coventry's, as an example:

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/george-osborne-unveils-plans-60million-6511802

Half of the funding comes from the government with the other half from private sources. Do you still think Westminster isn't investing in the UK economy?
What a surprise you don't know anybody who benefits. You don't need to talk to me about food banks considering my home city gets news articles on the very subject. Coventry's food banks are the busiest in the UK, despite Scots here seeming to think they are alone in having them:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/food-bank-visitors-in-coventry-compassion-has-disappeared-out-of-the-welfare-state-9263042.html

This is far from the only country having to undergo such measures, though, and if you think an iScotland with its multi billion pound deficit would be exempt from them you are sorely mistaken. We can't spend what we ain't got and that is not just down to this present government. The party Scotland sends most to Westminster every general election left this debt as their legacy.

We are not saying we are the only people getting swindled...everyone outside the very south of England is. Just because there are foodbanks in conventry, liverpool or swansea doesn't mean we can't complain about having them here. In fact I feel that many people in this island are turning a blind eye to it in comparison to us in Scotland...somone has to say that its just unnacceptable.

This "its a neccisity" argument is just inhumane. There are people starving in the year 2014 in the UK. Unacceptable. Those people don't need tax savings on their earnings (single mums dont have earnings), those people dont need nuclear weapons or high speed rail links...they need welfare to support themeselves and their kids....at the goverment are saying "no money and hence food for you...you dont deserve it"

Shocking that you can defend that.
Thats just tinkering...massive change is needed. Here is more on what is really happening under this economic progress you claim of.

The True Cost of Austerity - Dennis Curran: http://youtu.be/sIiq86KbYmo

Just a pity the SNP couldn't have used the already existing tax raising powers that they already have access to in Scotland.
We are not saying we are the only people getting swindled...everyone outside the very south of England is. Just because there are foodbanks in conventry, liverpool or swansea doesn't mean we can't complain about having them here. In fact I feel that many people in this island are turning a blind eye to it in comparison to us in Scotland...somone has to say that its just unnacceptable.

This "its a neccisity" argument is just inhumane. There are people starving in the year 2014 in the UK. Unacceptable. Those people don't need tax savings on their earnings (single mums dont have earnings), those people dont need nuclear weapons or high speed rail links...they need welfare to support themeselves and their kids....at the goverment are saying "no money and hence food for you...you dont deserve it"

How is the SE of England getting treated any differently? Other of course than the lower per capita government spend that they receive.

People aren't starving.

You do know that Norway has seen an increase in the use of food banks don't you?
Original post by Boab
Bingo again! And who is it benefiting? The rich, not the poor!

You are quite happy to be a part of a country where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, but count me out.

Actually, everybody looses out on it, but as we can see with the UKs current austerity measures, it's resulted in the fastest GDP growth of any developed nation and the largest number of jobs the UK has ever known.

Choo Choo complains that the government isn't investing in infrastructure, you complain that they are. And there you go again with the 'we Scots are more socially aware than the rest of you' nonsense-if that is the case then why is the SNP diverting funding from the NE which is in a shocking state and funneling it into the central belt? Total double standards.

Unemployment is at its lowest in years and less of people's income is going to the taxman. Needless to say you will find something to complain about in that.
Here's a nice bit of special pleading:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27370812

The argument is that Scots don't live as long so will be short-changed by the raising of pension ages. It is, of course, all Westminster's fault.

There seems to be no admission that the Scottish government, with devolved responsibility for health in Scotland, is short-changing its citizens on life expectancy.
Original post by Good bloke
Here's a nice bit of special pleading:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27370812

The argument is that Scots don't live as long so will be short-changed by the raising of pension ages. It is, of course, all Westminster's fault.

There seems to be no admission that the Scottish government, with devolved responsibility for health in Scotland, is short-changing its citizens on life expectancy.

Scotland contributes more obesity per head to the UK than it receives, says an SNP spokesman.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Scotland contributes more obesity per head to the UK than it receives, says an SNP spokesman.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:toofunny:

It's Scotland's fat!
I think it could be good for Scotland but it would be terrible for those who are left. I don't want to be left with an unchecked Torie government for the rest of my life :frown:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I think it could be good for Scotland but it would be terrible for those who are left. I don't want to be left with an unchecked Torie government for the rest of my life :frown:

Not going to happen. Labour didn't need Scotland the last 3 times it got in.
Reply 9719
I don't want to be left with an unchecked Torie government.

Not going to happen.

Without Scotland the Tories would've had a majority in 2010 so thats a lie isn't it?

Pretty sure being in a coalition government qualifies in ChaoticButterfly's example!

Latest

Trending

Trending