Hang on, far too busy promoting uprisings in South America
PRSOM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If the Speaker gave Labour explicit permission to do something, as seems to be the case, then I don't see why on Earth they or Ray should come in for criticism or punlishment.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
If the Speaker gave Labour explicit permission to do something, as seems to be the case, then I don't see why on Earth they or Ray should come in for criticism or punlishment.
The Speaker also via putting through UKIP's Aphgate bill, gave them explicit permission to put the bill to the House... yet UKIP still got punished.
Green_Pink
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
The Speaker also via putting through UKIP's Aphgate bill, gave them explicit permission to put the bill to the House... yet UKIP still got punished.
Well no, he posted it up but he at no stage said it was appropriate - he just doesn't look at every item in detail before it's put to the House and if I recall correctly apologised to Aph for not realising what was happening. But there was very clear evidence UKIP had consciously decided to put it out as an attack on another member which is unparliamentary and downright nasty. A case where Labour have gone, asked the Speaker if they could do something, and been told they can is very different - if the House's opinion is that this was wrong, the query should be entirely with the Speaker since on this occasion he was fully aware of what was happening.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If it's that much of a sticking point:
Green_Pink
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
If it's that much of a sticking point:
Right, he clearly knew this was happening and agreed to it so I really think some of the ridiculous attacks on Labour are besides the point. If people don't like it (and I'd agree it's a little bit on the dubious side of things although far from a big deal), it should surely be raised with the Speaker instead.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Whilst I agree with G_P and appreciate her understanding I don't think the Speaker need be criticised - I think his was the right choice.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Screw this! I need a drink. He needs a drink. She needs a drink. We all need a ****ing drink.

Apart from Kittiara; you can have you diet coke (with a purple straw, just for my special snowflake!)
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
RayApparently - I trust a whisky will help with your health??

Green_Pink - I'm thinking a vodka and coke...?

Saracen's Fez - mmm, maybe a jagerbomb?
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Screw this! I need a drink. He needs a drink. She needs a drink. We all need a ****ing drink.

Apart from Kittiara; you can have you diet coke (with a purple straw, just for my special snowflake!)
*Iz special* Thank you, Lord Mobbsy!
Green_Pink
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Whilst I agree with G_P and appreciate her understanding I don't think the Speaker need be criticised - I think his was the right choice.
If I'm correct in saying this hasn't been done before, and the Guidance Document isn't clear I'd say ideally the House should have been consulted, but it's not a big deal at all and it's being blown out of all proportion. Labour hasn't gained any advantage through this at all, I really fail to see what all the fuss is about.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Don't worry, I can't. Ray is going to have two drinks instead.
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
I'd be fine with that, alas I am not Colin Firth.
Ah shame... *lesigh*

(Original post by RayApparently)
I only wanted to check in for a bit and have been dragged into a long conflict. Its bad for my mental health this.

Good night everyone.
I hope that you will feel better soon, Ray.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kittiara)
*Iz special* Thank you, Lord Mobbsy!
Haha, yes!
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Don't worry, I can't. Ray is going to have two drinks instead.
Are you trying to get Ray drunk...!?
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Haha, you read my mind barkeep!
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Sign me up for the usual. It's been a long day of quite unnecessary bickering and im quite exhausted for it.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I saw before that you weren't extending the free drinks to green party members, it is with that in mind that I wish to buy everyone in the bar 2 drinks except yourself mobbsy and Tory 101 (for not standing up for a "friend")
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If I'm correct in saying this hasn't been done before, and the Guidance Document isn't clear I'd say ideally the House should have been consulted, but it's not a big deal at all and it's being blown out of all proportion. Labour hasn't gained any advantage through this at all, I really fail to see what all the fuss is about.
It is important to remember that the GD is officially just that - a guide. The Speaker has the right to deviate from it where (s)he sees fit, and if the House disagrees with this then it is their job to take it up with the Speaker, not call into question people who have been considered to have benefited from the ruling.
Green_Pink
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

That sounds great, thank you barman!
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are you trying to get Ray drunk...!?
That has clearly gone straight over your head.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27%
Not great so far... (283)
35.87%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.26%

Watched Threads