Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool v Man Utd: Anthony Taylor appointment criticised
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37629246

Interesting article this.

I don't think for one second that Taylor will be biased, but the problem is that if he makes a bad call in favour of United, that's all people will say.

Honestly I don't see why they aren't just being extra safe in this scenario and picking Clattenberg. It's not about anybody thinking Taylor is biased, it's about his proximity to Old Trafford and the fact he's from Manchester that people will be annoyed about.
    If there's the slightest possibility of a backlash, why bother at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)

I don't think for one second that Taylor will be biased, but the problem is that if he makes a bad call in favour of United, that's all people will say.

Honestly I don't see why they aren't just being extra safe in this scenario and picking Clattenberg. It's not about anybody thinking Taylor is biased, it's about his proximity to Old Trafford and the fact he's from Manchester that people will be annoyed about.
    Living that close to Old Trafford but supporting another team, he probably hates United if anything. Biased in favour of you tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Living that close to Old Trafford but supporting another team, he probably hates United if anything. Biased in favour of you tbh
    Except he's probably more likely to be intimidated by Man Utd fans since he lives there..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Nah, if you're gonna be a high level ref there's no point saying you support a PL team anyway. Whether he likes or hates United, I really don't get why they're taking such a risk even though Clattenberg (our best referee) could've easily managed the game.

At least you've got yourself an excuse if you lose now!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    He is surrounded by United fans, highly doubt he would dare be biased towards Liverpool lol...

Tbh I don't believe any ref will have been been truthful in who they support, some of them do probably support PL teams but choose not to say it to protect themselves and get the games they want.

This has probably worked out better for both clubs seeing as the ref would be now under more pressure to make sure he makes the right calls and is on his game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Except he's probably more likely to be intimidated by Man Utd fans since he lives there..
    (Original post by samir12)
    He is surrounded by United fans, highly doubt he would dare be biased towards Liverpool lol...
    Lol this isn't Brazil, he's not gonna get beaten up for a bad decision. Any bias will come from whether he likes or dislikes a team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Lol this isn't Brazil, he's not gonna get beaten up for a bad decision. Any bias will come from whether he likes or dislikes a team
    Well he may get threats or be intimidated, that CL ref certainly was given a horrid time by Chelsea fans after they got knocked out by Barca lol, there will always be a minority of football hooligans/thugs who takes things too far. In fairness, one bad decision favouring Liverpool (or United) is hardly going to do anything but multiple blatant calls will trigger for sure lol

ReputationRep:
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...n-as-not-smart

No doubt supporters will be angry but when you consider the numbers, you can see why it's not as attractive as the expansion for the Main Stand.
    It's a warped way of looking at it. FSG's promise when buying the club was to deliver a ~60,000 seater stadium. Sure if you look at the ARE stand as a stand alone project, then it's not as attractive, but it was always supposed to be in tandem with the main stand and the economics of the project as a whole would be a ~10 year payoff, which ain't all that bad going in my opinion. Then again, I dont think a 15 year payoff is bad either so what do i know. But that's the problem with capitalism i suppose, no eye for long term investment - it's all about the short term. PetrosAC this is all your fault

Quite frankly, I think its disgraceful for ayre to say the fans should pay for it. The fans already do pay for it by buying tickets every week, buying merchandise and paying the tv subscriptions that end up in the clubs pockets. Unless he's suggesting selling a stake in the club to the fans, which i highly doubt, that comment really isnt on.

This is probably the first time I've actually been annoyed with fsg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    It's a warped way of looking at it. FSG's promise when buying the club was to deliver a ~60,000 seater stadium. Sure if you look at the ARE stand as a stand alone project, then it's not as attractive, but it was always supposed to be in tandem with the main stand and the economics of the project as a whole would be a ~10 year payoff, which ain't all that bad going in my opinion. Then again, I dont think a 15 year payoff is bad either so what do i know. But that's the problem with capitalism i suppose, no eye for long term investment - it's all about the short term. PetrosAC this is all your fault

Quite frankly, I think its disgraceful for ayre to say the fans should pay for it. The fans already do pay for it by buying tickets every week, buying merchandise and paying the tv subscriptions that end up in the clubs pockets. Unless he's suggesting selling a stake in the club to the fans, which i highly doubt, that comment really isnt on.

I don't remember FSG ever committing to any such promise. They're a lot more shrewd unlike the cowboys who owned us before and had promised to build a new stadium within a short period of time.

FSG said they would look into the feasibility of the options (new stadium or Anfield expansion) and so they did.

Why would it be seen as in tandem with the Main Stand expansion? They always very clearly said it was a two step process (planning application was in two parts I believe).

FSG have taken sensible steps for the long term future of the club. The loan for the Main Stand expansion is funded by an interest free loan from FSG. Not sure why they should feel obliged to finance another project when they don't agree with it at the moment.

Ayre didn't actually suggest the fans should pay for it - some fan group had made that suggestion directly to him. That if the club don't think it's a wise investment, the fans obviously want more people to be able to get in and so they would be willing to invest for 15 years. Ayre just said the club should have that conversation and explore it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)

If anything this will probably benefit Liverpool as clearly any 50/50 given to us will be seen as bias. Bit strange, pretty perfect for the "united fans aren't from manchester" tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    But how can this be true when all United fans live in Beijing or Dublin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    But how can this be true when all United fans live in Beijing or Dublin?
    And London
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cBay)

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wijnaldum scans show hip compliant. LFC not ruling him out of Monday Clyne and Lovren both trained this week and are fit for Monday. Lallana major doubt.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.premierleague.com/news/119407

Nice to see Klopp winning Manager of the Month for September

EDIT: Henderson wins Goal of the Month too (obviously)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by mr tim)
    Wijnaldum scans show hip compliant. LFC not ruling him out of Monday Clyne and Lovren both trained this week and are fit for Monday. Lallana major doubt.
    Who starts if they're out? I'd expect to see a midfield three of Headers Can and Coutinho with Sturridge (who always seems to score against us) up top

Klopp fully deserves MOTM too, let's hope the MOTM curse claims another victim on Monday :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Who starts if they're out? I'd expect to see a midfield three of Headers Can and Coutinho with Sturridge (who always seems to score against us) up top

Klopp fully deserves MOTM too, let's hope the MOTM curse claims another victim on Monday :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, Can will come in for Wijnaldum and Sturridge will start up top and we'll adapt formation due to Lallana's injury.

As others have mentioned, Sturridge's lack of effective pressing can be an issue, but he's a goalscorer through and through so he can give you that moment of magic to win a vital game like this.

Still not confident because everything almost seems "too good", but if rivals drop points this weekend, it might help.

ReputationRep:
    Never told you guys how much I love Liverpool for it's hatred of The Sun.

ReputationRep:
    We'll go top if we beat United by 4 goals on Monday

Too unrealistic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    We'll go top if we beat United by 4 goals on Monday

Too unrealistic?
    Probably but Spurs and Man City dropping points again is good. Even if Chelsea and Arsenal win.

Win on Monday night and we're joint top of the table in points.. Really hope we can keep it up!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.