The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9700
Original post by Zerforax
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/12/liverpool-chief-executive-ian-ayre-describes-further-anfield-expansion-as-not-smart

No doubt supporters will be angry but when you consider the numbers, you can see why it's not as attractive as the expansion for the Main Stand.

It's a warped way of looking at it. FSG's promise when buying the club was to deliver a ~60,000 seater stadium. Sure if you look at the ARE stand as a stand alone project, then it's not as attractive, but it was always supposed to be in tandem with the main stand and the economics of the project as a whole would be a ~10 year payoff, which ain't all that bad going in my opinion. Then again, I dont think a 15 year payoff is bad either so what do i know. But that's the problem with capitalism i suppose, no eye for long term investment - it's all about the short term. @PetrosAC this is all your fault :wink:

Quite frankly, I think its disgraceful for ayre to say the fans should pay for it. The fans already do pay for it by buying tickets every week, buying merchandise and paying the tv subscriptions that end up in the clubs pockets. Unless he's suggesting selling a stake in the club to the fans, which i highly doubt, that comment really isnt on.

This is probably the first time I've actually been annoyed with fsg
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cBay
It's a warped way of looking at it. FSG's promise when buying the club was to deliver a ~60,000 seater stadium. Sure if you look at the ARE stand as a stand alone project, then it's not as attractive, but it was always supposed to be in tandem with the main stand and the economics of the project as a whole would be a ~10 year payoff, which ain't all that bad going in my opinion. Then again, I dont think a 15 year payoff is bad either so what do i know. But that's the problem with capitalism i suppose, no eye for long term investment - it's all about the short term. @PetrosAC this is all your fault :wink:

Quite frankly, I think its disgraceful for ayre to say the fans should pay for it. The fans already do pay for it by buying tickets every week, buying merchandise and paying the tv subscriptions that end up in the clubs pockets. Unless he's suggesting selling a stake in the club to the fans, which i highly doubt, that comment really isnt on.

I don't remember FSG ever committing to any such promise. They're a lot more shrewd unlike the cowboys who owned us before and had promised to build a new stadium within a short period of time.

FSG said they would look into the feasibility of the options (new stadium or Anfield expansion) and so they did.

Why would it be seen as in tandem with the Main Stand expansion? They always very clearly said it was a two step process (planning application was in two parts I believe).

FSG have taken sensible steps for the long term future of the club. The loan for the Main Stand expansion is funded by an interest free loan from FSG. Not sure why they should feel obliged to finance another project when they don't agree with it at the moment.

Ayre didn't actually suggest the fans should pay for it - some fan group had made that suggestion directly to him. That if the club don't think it's a wise investment, the fans obviously want more people to be able to get in and so they would be willing to invest for 15 years. Ayre just said the club should have that conversation and explore it.
Original post by Lúcio
Liverpool v Man Utd: Anthony Taylor appointment criticised
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37629246

Interesting article this.

I don't think for one second that Taylor will be biased, but the problem is that if he makes a bad call in favour of United, that's all people will say.

Honestly I don't see why they aren't just being extra safe in this scenario and picking Clattenberg. It's not about anybody thinking Taylor is biased, it's about his proximity to Old Trafford and the fact he's from Manchester that people will be annoyed about.
If there's the slightest possibility of a backlash, why bother at all?

If anything this will probably benefit Liverpool as clearly any 50/50 given to us will be seen as bias. Bit strange, pretty perfect for the "united fans aren't from manchester" tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Except he's probably more likely to be intimidated by Man Utd fans since he lives there..

But how can this be true when all United fans live in Beijing or Dublin?
Original post by sr90
But how can this be true when all United fans live in Beijing or Dublin?

And London
Original post by cBay

:wink:
Wijnaldum scans show hip compliant. LFC not ruling him out of Monday Clyne and Lovren both trained this week and are fit for Monday. Lallana major doubt.
https://www.premierleague.com/news/119407

Nice to see Klopp winning Manager of the Month for September :smile:

EDIT: Henderson wins Goal of the Month too (obviously)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mr tim
Wijnaldum scans show hip compliant. LFC not ruling him out of Monday Clyne and Lovren both trained this week and are fit for Monday. Lallana major doubt.

Who starts if they're out? I'd expect to see a midfield three of Headers Can and Coutinho with Sturridge (who always seems to score against us) up top

Klopp fully deserves MOTM too, let's hope the MOTM curse claims another victim on Monday :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Who starts if they're out? I'd expect to see a midfield three of Headers Can and Coutinho with Sturridge (who always seems to score against us) up top

Klopp fully deserves MOTM too, let's hope the MOTM curse claims another victim on Monday :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, Can will come in for Wijnaldum and Sturridge will start up top and we'll adapt formation due to Lallana's injury.

As others have mentioned, Sturridge's lack of effective pressing can be an issue, but he's a goalscorer through and through so he can give you that moment of magic to win a vital game like this.

Still not confident because everything almost seems "too good", but if rivals drop points this weekend, it might help.
Never told you guys how much I love Liverpool for it's hatred of The Sun.
We'll go top if we beat United by 4 goals on Monday :biggrin:

Too unrealistic? :colondollar:
Original post by Lúcio
We'll go top if we beat United by 4 goals on Monday :biggrin:

Too unrealistic? :colondollar:

Probably but Spurs and Man City dropping points again is good. Even if Chelsea and Arsenal win.

Win on Monday night and we're joint top of the table in points.. Really hope we can keep it up!
Probably but Spurs and Man City dropping points again is good. Even if Chelsea and Arsenal win.

Win on Monday night and we're joint top of the table in points.. Really hope we can keep it up!

I think the pressure is off a little - worst case scenario is that we lose but even then we'd barely be off the pace.

Klopp will certainly use the results today to motivate the players - knowing you can go (joint) top if you beat the fierce rivals should get them all pumped up.

I know in general we do well with hard fixtures, but to be joint top after the matches we've played would be ridiculous...
Ffs hate Monday night fixtures. Seems soo long away until matchday...

Why can't they play tomorrow?
Yeah, it sucks we aren't playing tomorrow. :frown:

I really hope the team are fired up and ready for Monday night, a thumping win would be fantastic. That said, I'll take a draw since during a derby match form goes out the window.
Original post by Federerr
Ffs hate Monday night fixtures. Seems soo long away until matchday...

Why can't they play tomorrow?

I think Anfield under the lights has a better atmosphere than a lunch time kick off?

We rarely play at 5pm against vs Everton/Man Utd (policing reasons apparently).
Can't remember the last time I was this nervous for a United game.

I think the issue for me is that the first time since the SAS season, we're actually going in as fairly heavy favourites. I don't like us being favourites because we always seem to bottle it...
Original post by Lúcio
Can't remember the last time I was this nervous for a United game.

I think the issue for me is that the first time since the SAS season, we're actually going in as fairly heavy favourites. I don't like us being favourites because we always seem to bottle it...

I think the important thing is how we respond to the game next week against West Brom regardless of the result tomorrow. Doesn't matter if we win, lose or draw against United because if we can't beat West Brom then it may be a long season ahead, its those types of games which you need the 3 points for getting top 4 or winning the title.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by samir12
I think the important thing is how we respond to the game next week against West Brom regardless of the result tomorrow. Doesn't matter if we win, lose or draw against United because if we can't beat West Brom then it may be a long season ahead, its those types of games which you need the 3 points for getting top 4 or winning the title.

Mmm I dunno.. there's more value in getting a result against Man Utd since it denies them scoring points at the same time.

We beat Hull and Swansea before the break who surely fall into the same category as WBA?

I'd rather beat Man Utd since will give our fans something more to cheer about.

What do people think will be the line-up? Klopp didn't rule out Wijnaldum or Lallana for Monday.

Other options would be Sturridge/Ings/Origi in the front 3 (and Coutinho drops back) or we could leave the front 3 and bring in Can and say Lucas into the midfield?

Good to have options but annoying to lose 2 midfield starters at the same time.

Wonder if Mourinho will go with players like Mata/Herrera or go much more physical with Fellani and go?

Latest