Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate England Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    lol there's no way that's a red. Even then linesmen who was stood right next to it signaled for a throw-in, not a foul.
    While it was harsh I don't think there was any real need for him to dive in like that. Better that someone get a red now for something stupid than in the tournament itself. Hopefully it gives the players something to think about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Doran)
    I will just repeat what I said previously because that is really all I have to add. I can't see how you can possibly dispute what I said. I am not saying it is definite but England should go through and quite possibly with 3 wins.

Just one question for everyone saying Italy and Uruguay will go through easily. What do you think of Italy 1 Luxembourg 1? If England got that result everyone would be completely slating them right now. Italy have now not won in 7 games since a 2-1 home win against Czech Republic in 2013. During that period they have failed to beat Luxembourg, Nigeria, Armenia, Denmark and the Republic or Ireland.

If that record for Italy doesn't make you question how well they will do than genuinely nothing will. Teams like Armenia and Luxembourg should be an easy 5-0 + win. A draw is just embarrassing.
    Italy have never cared about friendlies, people doubt them going into every competition. Won it in 2006, got to the final of Euro 2012, and performed very well at the confederations cup last year. They don't do friendlies, but they step up when it matters. Didn't watch the game myself, but apparently they were mucking about against Luxembourg and couldn't care less. They'll top the group - Uruguay and England will battle it out for the 2nd spot, but having the World Cup in South America will benefit them. If Suarez is fit, he'll run riot.

Calling England 'sh*te' is pretty harsh. They're not great though - not enough bright players (on and off the pitch). Personally, I'd love it if they got to the SF or even the QF, the media coverage would be glorious. Won't happen though.

ReputationRep:
    England just looked a bit of a mess tonight. The defence and attacked both had good flashed but it was high on mistakes, which is pretty much what you would expect from a team basically thrown together with the leftovers of the squad. Looked pretty shocking as a team, but the individual flashes weren't bad for the most part. Considering they are never going to play as a team like that its not really a concern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Lampard adds a goal threat better than any other midfielder
    u wot m8

did u even watch the game

this aint 2007 m8, lampard is not threatening anything.

ReputationRep:
    may be ligament damage for ox, das it mane.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ritter)
    Italy have never cared about friendlies, people doubt them going into every competition. Won it in 2006, got to the final of Euro 2012, and performed very well at the confederations cup last year. They don't do friendlies, but they step up when it matters. Didn't watch the game myself, but apparently they were mucking about against Luxembourg and couldn't care less. They'll top the group - Uruguay and England will battle it out for the 2nd spot, but having the World Cup in South America will benefit them. If Suarez is fit, he'll run riot.

Calling England 'sh*te' is pretty harsh. They're not great though - not enough bright players (on and off the pitch). Personally, I'd love it if they got to the SF or even the QF, the media coverage would be glorious. Won't happen though.
    I don't think Suarez will have a good tournament at all. He has never performed in big games when it matters (arguably he was good for parts of the last WC) and he was actually quite poor over the last 5 odd games for Liverpool. He still got goals against Norwich and Palace both of which were easy finishes set up by some very good players. He is definitely a top top player but he is not on form (sounds ridiculous but genuinely not played well for a while and also unfit now.)
    I really believe England will surprise people, let's not forget that was almost a complete second team today. The first 11 has a solid enough defence but I admit that if Rooney plays and does not perform then England will really struggle but I still think they will get out of the group either way.

ReputationRep:
    wilshere
    lampard
    rooney

all poor & don't let me start on boring milner and that horrendous back 4.

Barkley & Ox were running the show.

PLAYERS WERE JUST WALTZING THROUGH LAMPARD MY GAWD, WHAT'S LEFT OF LAMPARDS ENGINE IS GONE

AND A MAN SAID HE IS A GOAL THREAT LMAO NOT IN 2014.

did i say i want milner at arsenal i take that back #Squaddepthdonotwantmilner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thugnificent.)
    u wot m8

did u even watch the game

this aint 2007 m8, lampard is not threatening anything.
    Did you see the long range shot that just got tipped over? That's what i mean. And when i say midfielder I mean the middle 2, I'm not including the attacking three

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Doran)
    I don't think Suarez will have a good tournament at all. He has never performed in big games when it matters (arguably he was good for parts of the last WC) and he was actually quite poor over the last 5 odd games for Liverpool. He still got goals against Norwich and Palace both of which were easy finishes set up by some very good players. He is definitely a top top player but he is not on form (sounds ridiculous but genuinely not played well for a while and also unfit now.)
    I really believe England will surprise people, let's not forget that was almost a complete second team today. The first 11 has a solid enough defence but I admit that if Rooney plays and does not perform then England will really struggle but I still think they will get out of the group either way.
    He's a world class player, and it showed wit his goal tally last year. If he's fit he'll be the difference between an average side and a good one. Players like Smalling and Jones will have nightmares about him.

His fitness is the only thing stopping him, not his goal tally in the final few games of the season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ritter)
    He's a world class player, and it showed wit his goal tally last year. If he's fit he'll be the difference between an average side and a good one. Players like Smalling and Jones will have nightmares about him.

His fitness is the only thing stopping him, not his goal tally in the final few games of the season.
    It was not his goal tally, it was his performances, he was actually being carried by the rest of the team. Watch a game back if you don't believe me, he wasn't performing like he had been (I have heard this is because he was injured which the surgery could fix so it could be that.)
    I agree that Smalling and Jones would have nightmares against most strikers if they ever play like they did today again. Luckily they won't be anywhere near the actual team although Johnson does worry me a bit. Cahill is a fantastic defender and Jagielka can do a job untill someone better comes along.

ReputationRep:
    Hoping that the Ox is not injured too badly, he is key to England's world cup. One of the few players in the squad that can make something happen by himself. If England do need to replace him, god knows who Hodgson will choose. He'll probably resort to flipping a coin for Cleverly or Carrick.

If it's not a serious injury and he only misses a week or two, I would definitely still take him in the squad.

ReputationRep:
    Barkley’s a luxury player and I don’t think we’re good enough to afford those.

He goes missing for massive periods of matches and will have a bad game to every one of his good ones. Offers little defensively as well. 6 years and it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s the best player in the country, but for now…bench option for me. Take the risks out wide.

ReputationRep:
    If England qualify top of their group I will officially request to change my TSR name to 'the all mighty 3 lions'. You heard it here first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordooooom)
    If England qualify top of their group I will officially request to change my TSR name to 'the all mighty 3 lions'. You heard it here first
    Why are you such a bitter person?

I'm Welsh, and banter is great especially as i live in England and all but you just seem to have a complete hatred for England.

In fact i worry because as time goes on the more i don't mind so much about England and how they do. Maybe it's my time in England but i don't feel the need to wind up my English friends so much now and actually enjoyed seeing England score today. That said, Rugby is different, but that's maybe because Wales are competitive there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Why are you such a bitter person?

I'm Welsh, and banter is great especially as i live in England and all but you just seem to have a complete hatred for England.

In fact i worry because as time goes on the more i don't mind so much about England and how they do. Maybe it's my time in England but i don't feel the need to wind up my English friends so much now and actually enjoyed seeing England score today. That said, Rugby is different, but that's maybe because Wales are competitive there
    Literally no one cares about rugby. The only reason you like England is because their white strip reminds you of a nice fit sheep

ReputationRep:
    Literally no one cares about rugby. The only reason you like England is because their white strip reminds you of a nice fit sheep
    So i'm assuming you're still in the lower years of secondary school there from the quality of that, probably the worst reply i have ever had tbh.

In fact on ignore you go, judging from your posts no one's missing anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    So i'm assuming you're still in the lower years of secondary school there from the quality of that, probably the worst reply i have ever had tbh.

In fact on ignore you go, judging from your posts no one's missing anything
    Ooh someone's hard to please :lol:

You've been indoctrinated by their system. You aren't becoming more accepting of the England national team, you are suffering from STOCKHOLM SYNDROME

ReputationRep:
    Roy singles out Barkley for criticism, despite being the best player on the pitch? Good one Roy.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh someone's hard to please :lol:

You've been indoctrinated by their system. You aren't becoming more accepting of the England national team, you are suffering from STOCKHOLM SYNDROME
    When a Welshman sticks up for England there's something very funny going on. You have a pathological hatred of England but why should anybody be surprised? Scotland haven't competed in an international tournament for 16 years whereas in the same time England have failed to qualify only once.

Things do look brighter under Gordon Strachan, but they couldn't have been any worse under Levein who was a very easy act to follow. While you're ****ging off England you might want to take a look at how many of the Scottish national team ply their trade in England. In the starting XI for the Nigeria game there were 8.

McGregor (Hull)
    Hutton (Aston Villa)
    Greer (Brighton)
    Hanley (Blackburn)
    Robertson (Dundee Utd)
    Brown (Celtic)
    Morrison (WBA)
    Mulgrew (Celtic)
    Anya (Watford)
    Maloney (Wigan)
    Naismith (Everton)

4 of this team are Championship players for heavens' sake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    When a Welshman sticks up for England there's something very funny going on. You have a pathological hatred of England but why should anybody be surprised? Scotland haven't competed in an international tournament for 16 years whereas in the same time England have failed to qualify only once.

Things do look brighter under Gordon Strachan, but they couldn't have been any worse under Levein who was a very easy act to follow. While you're ****ging off England you might want to take a look at how many of the Scottish national team ply their trade in England. In the starting XI for the Nigeria game there were 8.

McGregor (Hull)
    Hutton (Aston Villa)
    Greer (Brighton)
    Hanley (Blackburn)
    Robertson (Dundee Utd)
    Brown (Celtic)
    Morrison (WBA)
    Mulgrew (Celtic)
    Anya (Watford)
    Maloney (Wigan)
    Naismith (Everton)

4 of this team are Championship players for heavens' sake.
    Im really not sure what point you're trying to make here??

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.