Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    So I've been at uni for three, nearly four years now. All of my friends are students, mostly medics. When I go out, I chat to students. When I go to the gym, it's all students. When I go to one of my sports clubs, it's all students. I don't really have a family to return to as an escape from this. I think it's starting to get me really ****ing depressed. I miss actual real-life people.

I was at a club last night and I had girls chatting to me about their ****ing gap year, how exams went, how last semester was. I don't give a ****. I couldn't be more disinterested. I just stood there wanting to ****ing kill myself. However, I was also chatting to some bish who wasn't a student. It was probably the most enjoyable conversations I've had in a long while.

tl;dr - How do I break out of the student rut? I miss the real world. As much as I love medicine, my friends and being a student, I seriously need other time. I think I might take up some volunteering role again. (But if I come into contact with a medical applicant who insists on talking to me about medicine I will probably just go ahead and chop my balls off)
    This is why I've never dated a fellow medical student. Can you imagine the pillow talk? "Ohhh that was so good! ...oh my gosh I examined teh hugest prostate everrr todayyy"

ReputationRep:
    I was at a club last night and I had girls chatting to me about their ****ing gap year, how exams went, how last semester was. I don't give a ****. I couldn't be more disinterested. I just stood there wanting to ****ing kill myself.
    You sound like a treat

ReputationRep:
    So I've been at uni for three, nearly four years now. All of my friends are students, mostly medics. When I go out, I chat to students. When I go to the gym, it's all students. When I go to one of my sports clubs, it's all students. I don't really have a family to return to as an escape from this. I think it's starting to get me really ****ing depressed. I miss actual real-life people.

I was at a club last night and I had girls chatting to me about their ****ing gap year, how exams went, how last semester was. I don't give a ****. I couldn't be more disinterested. I just stood there wanting to ****ing kill myself. However, I was also chatting to some bish who wasn't a student. It was probably the most enjoyable conversations I've had in a long while.

tl;dr - How do I break out of the student rut? I miss the real world. As much as I love medicine, my friends and being a student, I seriously need other time. I think I might take up some volunteering role again. (But if I come into contact with a medical applicant who insists on talking to me about medicine I will probably just go ahead and chop my balls off)
    See this is why I love having a non-medic, non-student girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    You sound like a treat
    I find feigning interest to be incredibly draining after the fifth time in one evening and last night I didn't feel particularly motivated to indulge them with politeness for the sake of trying to hook up.

ReputationRep:

tl;dr - How do I break out of the student rut?
    My question is, was she fit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    My question is, was she fit?
    6/10. Do not want.

ReputationRep:

Get a job
    No student colleagues.. v few student customers.

None of my flatmates are medics though they are all students. TBH sounds like you just have boring friends if all you talk about is student or uni related

ReputationRep:

Are you musical, man? I was feeling similarly frustrated in first year, but answered an ad on denmark street and was in a band for a couple of years.

great way to meet people from all over the city and all different backgrounds.. plus it also gets you out to all different areas for gigs.

Lekky's job suggestion is a good one, tho in london I guess there's not much time for hanging about and chatting to customers - but good chance to meet colleagues. I went for the lazier option of finding a medic who found a job and got to know some of their colleagues instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tech)
    Are you musical, man? I was feeling similarly frustrated in first year, but answered an ad on denmark street and was in a band for a couple of years.

great way to meet people from all over the city and all different backgrounds.. plus it also gets you out to all different areas for gigs.

Lekky's job suggestion is a good one, tho in london I guess there's not much time for hanging about and chatting to customers - but good chance to meet colleagues. I went for the lazier option of finding a medic who found a job and got to know some of their colleagues instead
    That's a good shout actually - I used to be in a band prior to uni. Was a lot of fun. Could get back into it.

ReputationRep:
    6/10. Do not want.
    That's not bad!

ReputationRep:
    That's not bad!

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with students?
    I just have different groups of students, so medics, halls friends, dancers and union people. Lots of different topics. I don't want to stop being a student tbh.
    Also this weekend I am finding it weird that the course I am on i am one of the younger people (by more than a few years but oldest year. Not sure why so many grads.

ReputationRep:
    Dude depending on how harsh you are - 6 is not bad at all - in REAL LIFE i.e. not in films or something - a 6 is a hot person, that you would date.

5 out of 10 is not average, average is probably more like 3.5/4!

(End of me being superficial haha)

ReputationRep:
    Then again, this was a 6/10 in GSG's rating after consuming alcohol...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I do always wonder what I'd be rated as.... yet to overhear anybody discuss my rating :emo::p:

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha
    Although my rating goes all skew-whiff when I'm drunk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Dude depending on how harsh you are - 6 is not bad at all - in REAL LIFE i.e. not in films or something - a 6 is a hot person, that you would date.

5 out of 10 is not average, average is probably more like 3.5/4!

(End of me being superficial haha)
    This is 6/10 on the real-life&drunk scale (GodspeedGehenna, 2012).

Yup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    I do always wonder what I'd be rated as.... yet to overhear anybody discuss my rating :emo::p:
    I got told I wasn't a bad 6 and was deadly proud of that

As a medic, I feel even being average looking is an achievement ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    I got told I wasn't a bad 6 and was deadly proud of that

As a medic, I feel even being average looking is an achievement ^_^
    Medic men are strange.

I don't think I've ever seen an unattractive F1/2, i dont understand it. I think I'm blinded by the responsibility cos when I've seen them out of the hospital I've realised what they're like minus the title doctor!

But it seems like when they're handed the degree certificate they all turn fit.

I'm considering nabbing myself an ugly medic lad now then just waiting for him to blossom in a few years.

I'm really showing my psycho singleness off here
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clarusblue)
    Medic men are strange.

I don't think I've ever seen an unattractive F1/2, i dont understand it. I think I'm blinded by the responsibility cos when I've seen them out of the hospital I've realised what they're like minus the title doctor!

But it seems like when they're handed the degree certificate they all turn fit.

I'm considering nabbing myself an ugly medic lad now then just waiting for him to blossom in a few years.

I'm really showing my psycho singleness off here
    :rofl:

I know what you mean, although not all the FY1/2s I've seen have been lookers.

My problem is that most of the good looking ones are too short, and any tall good looking ones are a bit too weedy. Damn my fussiness :sad:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.