Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enginerd.)
    Salaam. Any body else fasting today?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    walaykum salaam

I am

ReputationRep:
    Man its so annoying when u edit ur posts half way, I'm going sleep now I'll gmaul spec you and end this debate later

ReputationRep:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10254530.html

ReputationRep:
    Who's going to the mela tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by husband material)
    Who's going to the mela tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what's a mela

ReputationRep:
    One of my favourite nasheeds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyoti)
    voting is apparently shirk too lol
    Brother/sister, I advise against this approach of discussion.

I haven't looked into any ikhtilaaf (difference of opinion) with regards to this matter. But indeed one position is that voting is not shirk. Any difference of opinion amongst the scholars should be respected, and even if one disagrees we can try to understand their reasoning for their respective positions.

(Original post by Mufti Muhammad ibn Adam)
    In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,
    As explained in my previous answer, which you have referred to, that voting for a candidate standing in the elections of non-Muslim democratic countries, with the intention of improving as much as possible the circumstances that one lives in or the circumstances of other Muslims, or with the intention of preventing/minimizing harm, firmly believing that sovereignty and true hukm belongs to Allah alone, is something that is permissible, and not unlawful (haram), disbelief (kufr) or polytheism (shirk).

This is my position on the matter, and the position of the vast majority of contemporary Muslim scholars. There are many evidences for this which have been discussed in various articles and public forums, and as such, you may refer to them for more elucidation.

However, it is incorrect to make a blanket statement that voting is obligatory (fard). In the previous answer, I stated, in light of the Hadith of Sayyiduna Abu Bakr (Allah be pleased with him), that, 'At times voting becomes necessary' and ' If one is able to prevent or minimize oppression by casting a vote, then not voting would be sinful.'

Thus, the sin is only in the situation where one genuinely believes that by voting, one will be able to prevent/minimize open transgression and oppression, yet does not do so out of neglect and not having any concern for the interests of Muslims. If one abstains, however, because he feels that his vote won't make a difference, or one does not see any benefit in voting, then there is nothing wrong with that.

And Allah knows Best

[Mufti] Muhammad ibn Adam
    Darul iftaa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyoti)
    voting is apparently shirk too lol
    don't mind them lol like I said this is NOT ISOC IT'S THE SALAFIST SOC any slight difference in belief they remove the posts without giving you a chance to explain

ReputationRep:
    Can I start a quiz?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HSafirah)
    Can I start a quiz?

You're free to do what you want - within site rules of course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Internet)
    You're free to do what you want - within site rules of course
    Thanks Internet

ReputationRep:
    QUIZ

What's the name of the surah that attracted Umar al-Khattab (r.a) to Islam?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Internet
    Nw It's also quite nice to see that there's some peace between the ISOC group and the ex Muslim group these days tbh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Internet)
    Nw It's also quite nice to see that there's some peace between the ISOC group and the ex Muslim group these days tbh!
    Indeed it is

ReputationRep:
    QUIZ

What's the name of the surah that attracted Umar al-Khattab (r.a) to Islam?
    Surah Ha'qah?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To be precise 29th Juz Beautiful Surah

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enginerd.)
    Surah Ha'qah?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Guess again, nope

Clue: Umar was heading to his sister's house

ReputationRep:
    Guess again, nope

Havn't really a clue, I've only heard Surah Haq'ah before... are we allowed to use Ze Interwebz?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katbob)
    don't mind them lol like I said this is NOT ISOC IT'S THE SALAFIST SOC any slight difference in belief they remove the posts without giving you a chance to explain
    Brother/sister, I advise against instigating sectarianist attitudes. A much more beneficial approach is to share knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Guess again, nope

Ta-ha

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.