Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    NFL Fantasy Football is love. NFL Fantasy Football is life.

So What do I do now??

May this thread tick over quickly enough
    Hahaha, love that. You should become our version of Matt Miller and start mock drafting! That would give you something to do!

We'll knock over 260 posts through the playoffs for sure, We might be on time to set the new one up for the Superbowl or we can have a new one for our inevitable draft discussions of next seasons scouts draft. That'll make riveting reading for any potential newcomer! The nuances of O-lineman, 10 yard splits on DE's, accessible stuff for all.

I'll probably post about 50 times in Wildcard Week, I LOVE WILDCARD WEEK! I actually think it's the best week of the season. So many hyper-competitive games!

ReputationRep:
    What's wildcard week? Not ever had to watch them :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Your frigging Patsies love a 1st round bye! I wonder what excuse dearest Thomas will find when he manages to not win another Superbowl. He might have to blame the Bountygate curse at this rate!

ReputationRep:
    There are a few positives, and maybe I'm reaching. So, the Broncos proved that they can move the ball in the air and on the ground against a tough opponent.
    I didn't watch the game, or much of the Broncos this season TBH but you're definitely reaching on this one. Peyton Manning to Demariyus+Julius Thomas is supposed to be able to move the ball in the air against any opponent. If it really took until week 16 to prove this then they're more ****ed than the Browns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    I didn't watch the game, or much of the Broncos this season TBH but you're definitely reaching on this one. Peyton Manning to Demariyus+Julius Thomas is supposed to be able to move the ball in the air against any opponent. If it really took until week 16 to prove this then they're more ****ed than the Browns.
    ...awayu...in December...while it's cold and rainy. The negative aspects were fixable (penalties..returns...wide receiver-QB communications). The Broncos won't face too many teams with a better D-line than Cinci. Buffalo and Seattle were the only others, and they too caused the Broncos, big big problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    Hahaha, love that. You should become our version of Matt Miller and start mock drafting! That would give you something to do!

We'll knock over 260 posts through the playoffs for sure, We might be on time to set the new one up for the Superbowl or we can have a new one for our inevitable draft discussions of next seasons scouts draft. That'll make riveting reading for any potential newcomer! The nuances of O-lineman, 10 yard splits on DE's, accessible stuff for all.

I'll probably post about 50 times in Wildcard Week, I LOVE WILDCARD WEEK! I actually think it's the best week of the season. So many hyper-competitive games!
    Yes..I'll try and come up with a good draft board. Since it's likely the Bucs will finish with first overall pick...I wonder whether they will go with Mariota or address the o-line. They have Glennon...and I was impressed with him last season. Doug Martin was a stud for Boise State although he has had his injuries. Titans will almost certainly take a QB as well...(although they are giving up on Jake Locker far too soon.) It will be very interesting to see who gambles on Jake Locker and Sam Bradford, if they do leave, in free agency. Of course, the Cutler situation would complicate things...

Speaking of Boise State...Jay Ajayi has announced he will declare for the draft. It's big, big news, since he's skipping his senior season. He was born in London, is 6ft tall, and weighs 215lbs. He has the second most yards from scrimmage of any running back (second only to Melvin Gordon) and iirc, he has the most recieving yards of any running back. He's a natural catcher, and is an every down back. It's been a pleasure to have seen him in the BSU games on television, as he has been a monster. He does have ball security issues...but so did a certain Adrian Peterson. This is the draft where a few running backs will go in the first round. Melvin Gordon and Todd Gurley should enter. I will just wonder where Jay Ajayi will go....I'd put a second to third round grade on him.Will it be Vikings? Jags? Falcons? One mock draft I saw had him going to the Packers in the second. Dark horse destinations could be the Bills (to replace Fred Jackson, and because CJ Spiller is injury prone), I suppose. Chargers as well. There's going to be a lot of o-line.

Is it bad that I have a potential draft for fantasy football lined up? It involves Le'veon Bell, CJ Anderson, Emanuel Sanders, Odell Beckham Jr, Tony Romo, Stephen Gostkowski and the Jaguars defense. I'm useless when it comes to TE's though. I lucked out on Delaine Walker in my other league, but he was torpedoed by bad QB play, and like most TEs, is heavily TD dependent for points. And I did have Bennett, but he had one bad game in October, and I brought too much into the "good in september but bad in october narrative". Tony Romo, OBJ, and CJ Anderson have bailed out my fantasy teams really well...but Le'veon Bell has been the best fantasy football player hands down. He has been the one player to screw me over good and proper.

I love wild card weekend too. It is exciting. If nothing else, I can reminisce about the 3:16 game...seriously...the amount of stuff that lent itself to that verse was scary.

Also...just a proposal for the Mark II thread when it comes around....just label it "American Football Talk", to emphasize that it's about NFL, college football and heck, even BAFA/BUAFL football. it's weird...I like college football even more than the NFL. I do get to watch quite a lot, being Stateside, but it's just fun to watch. I really am looking forward to the CFB Playoff as it will be a good one to see. If you have a spare three hours or so, I do reccommend just going through some of the old college football games which you can watch on youtube. Last year's Iron Bowl, was a real humdinger....and Bama vs Texas A&M was not bad at all.

ReputationRep:
    poor colts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cant_think_of_name)
    OBJ has the highest YPG (receiving) for a rookie in the modern era. OROY hands down.

Also:

15 INTs this season for Peyton Manning.
    13 INTs this season for Eli Manning
    Peyton's also thrown for just a few more TDs, though...it most certainly is weird, I must say. Although Romo leading the league in QB rating...well...that's probably unexpected by all but the most ardent of Romo's supporters.

OBJ isn't a lock. Zack Martin would be a worthy winner. The Cowboys' o-line just looks so much more solid thanks to him, it's crazy.

ReputationRep:
    Romo is an elite QB, has been for years, and in hindsight I think it would have been reasonable to predict him being up there especially in terms of QBR given the offense they have finally built around him. With that said, I wouldn't have seen it coming 16 weeks ago. Moreover, 16 weeks ago was a time when the Cowboys defense was predicted to be around the worst in the league (I commented on another forum that Sean Lee would prove to be their literal most valuable player because they would fall apart without him). Also, Jerry Jones was bracing himself for an era of mediocrity because they didn't draft Manziel.

Going back and looking at what a lot of "experts" thought kind of makes your bold predictions look like Nostradamus made them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronmack)
    poor colts
    Not really, they are really punching above their weights because of Luck. He continuously has to force the issue to put them in a decent position hence his high TO- though, he needs to learn how to take the sack. You're not a good team if you only have one stellar player on D however how high a calibre of a player he is and have no running game. They really shouldn't be above .500. But thanks to Luck and AFCS they'll get a home playoff game and probably go to the divisional round.

ReputationRep:
    Also...just a proposal for the Mark II thread when it comes around....just label it "American Football Talk", to emphasize that it's about NFL, college football and heck, even BAFA/BUAFL football. it's weird...I like college football even more than the NFL. I do get to watch quite a lot, being Stateside, but it's just fun to watch. I really am looking forward to the CFB Playoff as it will be a good one to see. If you have a spare three hours or so, I do reccommend just going through some of the old college football games which you can watch on youtube. Last year's Iron Bowl, was a real humdinger....and Bama vs Texas A&M was not bad at all.
    I was thinking about this earlier, since I'm one of the more likely guys to start up our 2nd thread given my activity here, it makes sense to give it a real broad church title. We've talked NFL, College and BUCS football here for quite some time. Whilst neither college or BUCS is my area of expertise (I'm way too small to play!) It's good that we had those discussions. It's all the same game at the end of the day. If I make it I'll also make the first post as newbie-proof as possible so when the next guy wanders in saying 'Why is it called football when they use their hands?' We don't have to get as mad, The last guy who did that I properly lost my head with. Same as the 'Why do they wear pads?! question. This one makes my eyes bleed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    I was thinking about this earlier, since I'm one of the more likely guys to start up our 2nd thread given my activity here, it makes sense to give it a real broad church title. We've talked NFL, College and BUCS football here for quite some time. Whilst neither college or BUCS is my area of expertise (I'm way too small to play!) It's good that we had those discussions. It's all the same game at the end of the day. If I make it I'll also make the first post as newbie-proof as possible so when the next guy wanders in saying 'Why is it called football when they use their hands?' We don't have to get as mad, The last guy who did that I properly lost my head with. Same as the 'Why do they wear pads?! question. This one makes my eyes bleed.
    Hahaha...I remember that one!! I was flicking back through the posts...and my reply to that one was my first post here...haha... I did have the football 101 guide...but it's quite text heavy, and was more of a reference in-your-pocket thing rather than a nice, friendly overview...but if anyone wanted to take a gander, edit it..and stuff feel free.

And I was only marginally the smallest on our roster last year (I hope I have got bigger since...) but I was like a 5ft8/5ft9 and weighed in at 147, at our "combine" last year. I was undersized to say the least, but I got game time...so, what really matters is that you're up for contact and stuff. And if not, there's also flag...no shame in that...
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: txtfootball101.txt (32.9 KB, 35 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    Romo is an elite QB, has been for years, and in hindsight I think it would have been reasonable to predict him being up there especially in terms of QBR given the offense they have finally built around him. With that said, I wouldn't have seen it coming 16 weeks ago. Moreover, 16 weeks ago was a time when the Cowboys defense was predicted to be around the worst in the league (I commented on another forum that Sean Lee would prove to be their literal most valuable player because they would fall apart without him). Also, Jerry Jones was bracing himself for an era of mediocrity because they didn't draft Manziel.

Going back and looking at what a lot of "experts" thought kind of makes your bold predictions look like Nostradamus made them...
    With a superbowl, I think Romo gets into the Hall of Fame. I have been a believer in Romo, and he had a very good season last year. In my QB rankings, I only had Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Phillip Rivers and Peyton Manning above him. It was before the season.

Right now...here's my QB board...I've had to adjust it...from my first version done in the offseason.
    Attached Files
  2. File Type: txtQB-Rank-4.0.txt (1.4 KB, 42 views)

ReputationRep:
    I've just seen some of the pro-bowl stuff and here are a few of my thoughts.

1. The QBs are pretty much spot on. Nice to see Tony Romo make it back to the pro-bowl again. Rivers has had an excellent season, stepping up and playing hurt...but I have a hard time fitting him in.

2. The running backs are pretty much spot on...I would only have suggested Justin Forsett rather than McCoy...but after a poor start, he's back to form. Since Reece and Kuhn are the only fullbacks to be used with regularity, then they are always a lock.

3. What happened with the wide recievers? As much as I respect Megatron and AJ Green...they've not had the production (through being injured, admittedly) to justify inclusion, and are getting in on name. Sanders and Maclin deserved to get in ahead of them. Randall Cobb and OBJ make an excellent case, as well.

4. The inclusion of Gronk and Orange Julius is good to see at TE...but again, Jimmy Graham has had a poor year. He and Greg Olson get in by default...although you could make a case for Bennett and Delaine Walker as well. I almost wanted Witten to get in though...since he helps out a lot in the run blocking game as well...but I appreciate stats trumps everything.

5. I agree with most of the O-line picks. They did pretty well there.

6. Pretty agreeable list so far...DTs are fair....even if I would have liked to seen Pot Roast make the pro-bowl...but I can't argue with it. DEs seem fair enough...although Fletcher Cox has had a very good season.

7.BUT WHAT HAPPENED AT OUTSIDE LINEBACKER???!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Pass rushers, pass rushers everywhere...ugh......the perils of picking 5 pass rushing DEs, and JJ Watt as well....Dumervil and Von Miller should have been selected in the DE category.

NO DEANDRE LEVY. THAT MAKES IT NULL AND VOID. NO DONT'A HIGHTOWER. NO BRANDON MARSHALL. Khalil Mack makes an excellent case for his excellent play against the run. Doom's had an excellent season and deserves recognition as a pass rusher, as has von miller...but as pass rushers. As weakside linebacker, Brandon Marshall and Levy have been better. Sorry Doom. As a strongside backer, Mack has been better. Sorry Von. And Hightower can slot in on the weakside or the strongside. I agree with the Houston and HaliUgh...So much fail....oh well...they couldn't screw up again, can they? I'm surprised Clay Matthews made the pro-bowl at OLB. Most of his good play has come after the Packers kicked him inside.

8. ILBs are pretty good.

9. THANK GOODNESS CHRIS HARRIS JR. made the pro-bowl. Oh..............Patrick Peterson made the pro-bowl...oh.....

ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh..................... ................................ .. :/ :/

I was surprised that Talib made the pro-bowl, but he has stepped up recently. I'm surprised that Sam Shields and Brandon Flowers didn't make the cut.

10. I'm surprised by TJ Ward's inclusion to be honest. I thought Morgan Burnett would get in. Packers have a good secondary...and it got flat out disrespected. Antoine Bethea has played excellent this season, and should have been in.

11. I can't argue with the kickers or the punters, really. Devin Hester and Darren Sproles deserve it. Pacman Jones would be worthy as well. It would have been nice to see Omar Bolden, who is widely respected as one of the best special teamers in the league make the list (crucial punt fake-throw for the 1st down vs the Chiefs) make it...but the Broncos' special teams flat out sucks.

ReputationRep:
    Also, the ESPN QB Report is very interesting...
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...ryans-accuracy

ReputationRep:
    I've just seen some of the pro-bowl stuff and here are a few of my thoughts.

1. The QBs are pretty much spot on. Nice to see Tony Romo make it back to the pro-bowl again. Rivers has had an excellent season, stepping up and playing hurt...but I have a hard time fitting him in.
    I agree with that. Wilson and Rivers could make a case, but who do they replace?

2. The running backs are pretty much spot on...I would only have suggested Justin Forsett rather than McCoy...but after a poor start, he's back to form. Since Reece and Kuhn are the only fullbacks to be used with regularity, then they are always a lock.
    Personally can't believe that McCoy made it. Forsett or Forte over him for sure.

3. What happened with the wide recievers? As much as I respect Megatron and AJ Green...they've not had the production (through being injured, admittedly) to justify inclusion, and are getting in on name. Sanders and Maclin deserved to get in ahead of them. Randall Cobb and OBJ make an excellent case, as well.
    Agree again. Megatron and AJ Green are amazing players but weren't at the level they can be this season. Honestly think OBJ should have made it - Pro Bowl is about entertainment and he definitely has that factor.

4. The inclusion of Gronk and Orange Julius is good to see at TE...but again, Jimmy Graham has had a poor year. He and Greg Olson get in by default...although you could make a case for Bennett and Delaine Walker as well. I almost wanted Witten to get in though...since he helps out a lot in the run blocking game as well...but I appreciate stats trumps everything.
    Yeah TE is so weak that I'm not particularly surprised by that. I reckon Olsen deserved it as well as JT and Gronk but I'd have taken Bennett over Graham.

5. I agree with most of the O-line picks. They did pretty well there.
    Joel Bitonio over Jahri Evans for me, but that's about it. Also a shame that Max Unger didn't make it (he's amazing) but he was injured for a while so I can completely understand why he didn't.

6. Pretty agreeable list so far...DTs are fair....even if I would have liked to seen Pot Roast make the pro-bowl...but I can't argue with it. DEs seem fair enough...although Fletcher Cox has had a very good season.
    Yep, Fletcher Cox seems like the only guy I could see missing.

7.BUT WHAT HAPPENED AT OUTSIDE LINEBACKER???!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Pass rushers, pass rushers everywhere...ugh......the perils of picking 5 pass rushing DEs, and JJ Watt as well....Dumervil and Von Miller should have been selected in the DE category.

NO DEANDRE LEVY. THAT MAKES IT NULL AND VOID. NO DONT'A HIGHTOWER. NO BRANDON MARSHALL. Khalil Mack makes an excellent case for his excellent play against the run. Doom's had an excellent season and deserves recognition as a pass rusher, as has von miller...but as pass rushers. As weakside linebacker, Brandon Marshall and Levy have been better. Sorry Doom. As a strongside backer, Mack has been better. Sorry Von. And Hightower can slot in on the weakside or the strongside. I agree with the Houston and HaliUgh...So much fail....oh well...they couldn't screw up again, can they? I'm surprised Clay Matthews made the pro-bowl at OLB. Most of his good play has come after the Packers kicked him inside.
    Yeah you summed that up pretty well. That whole position was messed up...

8. ILBs are pretty good.
    Yup. Bobby Wagner gettin' some love!

9. THANK GOODNESS CHRIS HARRIS JR. made the pro-bowl. Oh..............Patrick Peterson made the pro-bowl...oh.....
    Cracked up when I saw PP made it. Would honestly take Byron Maxwell over him

ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh..................... ................................ .. :/ :/
    Indeed.

I was surprised that Talib made the pro-bowl, but he has stepped up recently. I'm surprised that Sam Shields and Brandon Flowers didn't make the cut.

10. I'm surprised by TJ Ward's inclusion to be honest. I thought Morgan Burnett would get in. Packers have a good secondary...and it got flat out disrespected. Antoine Bethea has played excellent this season, and should have been in.
    TJ Ward getting in on name/Broncos name. Bethea should be there, and I thought Woodson was in with a shout, but hey.

11. I can't argue with the kickers or the punters, really. Devin Hester and Darren Sproles deserve it. Pacman Jones would be worthy as well. It would have been nice to see Omar Bolden, who is widely respected as one of the best special teamers in the league make the list (crucial punt fake-throw for the 1st down vs the Chiefs) make it...but the Broncos' special teams flat out sucks
    Surprised that Adam Jones didn't make it...
    My thoughts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cant_think_of_name)
    My thoughts
    I would concur. TJ Ward is NOT having a probowl season...and he's getting in on the Broncos' name. In probowl voting, though they were listed as strong safeties, so people go for the two most notorious strong safeties out there. Bethea has had an excellent season. Bethea and Burnett would be my two stong safeties, however.

I agree with Charles Woodson. I'm sure I voted for him...he's having a great season. C-wood, Tony G and Brett Farve must have all drunk from that same fountain of youth. Maybe even Brady has come accross that fountain which would be terrifying....I MEAN....HE'S RUNNING THE FOOTBALL, LEANING HIS SHOULDER AND PICKING UP 15 YARDS!!! :O :O :O But the improved Raider D has come about because C-Wood is playing at a very high level. Though it will never happen, and rightfully so...I wish he was our starting free safety....a very sure tackler. He's still much better than many of the starting free-safeties in the league anyway.

Because of his role on Special Teams, Pacman Jones would be a returner. KOA Radio network said that he averaged something like 30 yard per kick return and over 10 per punt return...or something. That's ridiculous, by any standards. In that case, Sproles would make punt returner...but then it's a 50-50 between Hester and Jones. Maybe Hester has been trading off of his name a bit, but he still has the most return yardage, punt and kickoff, in the league...which is some serious food for thought...

ReputationRep:
    Because of his role on Special Teams, Pacman Jones would be a returner. KOA Radio network said that he averaged something like 30 yard per kick return and over 10 per punt return...or something. That's ridiculous, by any standards. In that case, Sproles would make punt returner...but then it's a 50-50 between Hester and Jones. Maybe Hester has been trading off of his name a bit, but he still has the most return yardage, punt and kickoff, in the league...which is some serious food for thought...
    The Falcons run the ball back a ridiculous amount. He's averaging 24.1 yards a return, compared to Jacoby Jones' 30.9 (or Pacman's 33.2). He's one of a number of people in by name alone - like many of you, TJ Ward is the one annoying me the most.

ReputationRep:
    Too much thoughts going into a popularity contest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shunter7634)
    The Falcons run the ball back a ridiculous amount. He's averaging 24.1 yards a return, compared to Jacoby Jones' 30.9 (or Pacman's 33.2). He's one of a number of people in by name alone - like many of you, TJ Ward is the one annoying me the most.

Kickoffs yeah. But unfortunately, the Pro Bowl has been nerfed, so they don't have kick return. Hester's leading the league in punt return yards per return, and already has a touchdown.

Edelman's close...and in any other year he would have got in, as a punt returner.

TDs distort everything, however. Personally...I'd take the person with the higher average. Sproles gets in because of his two TDs and 13.3 punt return average...Hester has a 13.3 punt return average and one TD. If it was for an all purpose returner, than Sproles shouldn't have got in...and I agree that Pacman Jones should have gone in. But although his long is impressive, he doesn't have a return for a TD, as kickoff or punt returner, and it seems it counted against him.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.