Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I have corrected my mistake.
    Well that certainly isn't what Adam releced!!!! Although I knew it would be something like that based on his coment about being embarrassed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Well that certainly isn't what Adam releced!!!! Although I knew it would be something like that based on his coment about being embarrassed
    I am aware of what Adam released as I was tasked with collecting the data and setting the range. The range given to you was a range containing the correct UKIP average. Nebelbon was the most left but even he was below -3 left.

ReputationRep:
    I am aware of what Adam released as I was tasked with collecting the data and setting the range. The range given to you was a range containing the correct UKIP average. Nebelbon was the most left but even he was below -3 left.
    I'm sorry so your range wasn't your range??? If your rang wasn't your range what was it:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I'm sorry so your range wasn't your range??? If your rang wasn't your range what was it:confused:
    He's saying they excluded the extremes to paint a preferred image.

That's politics for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    It was a rage of the averages between females, males, MPs, and non-MPs, as we want our MP base to represent the UKIP average and the gender averages allowing the largest possible range of views to be represented by MPs. It turns out we have a balanced range for MPs which is similar to the non-MP range, and the gender ranges were nearly the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    He's saying they excluded the extremes to paint a preferred image.

That's politics for you.
    But outliers are Importent!!! They are valid sets of data and if you remove outliers what were once normal can become outliers.

that is the main thing A-level maths has taught me:laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    But outliers are Importent!!! They are valid sets of data and if you remove outliers what were once normal can become outliers.

that is the main thing A-level maths has taught me:laugh:
    Politics is about image, what is true and what is not does not matter. Ukip's average suits their claim to be the most right wing party on social issues at least, hence there's no reason to include 'impure results'.

ReputationRep:
    It was a rage of the averages between females, males, MPs, and non-MPs, as we want our MP base to represent the UKIP average and the gender averages allowing the largest possible range of views to be represented by MPs. It turns out we have a balanced range for MPs which is similar to the non-MP range, and the gender ranges were nearly the same.
    :confused: I'm so confused by that I want to cry.
    Politics is about image, what is true and what is not does not matter. Ukip's average suits their claim to be the most right wing party on social issues at least, hence there's no reason to include 'impure results'.
    And here was me hoping everyone would just tell the truth in politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)

Truth and politics.. that's cute :rolleyes:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)

That would be ideal, but not very realistic, unfortunately.

Though I would have thought UKIP would be pleased, proud even, to attract people from across the political spectrum.

ReputationRep:
    Truth and politics.. that's cute :rolleyes:
    I will. If I became an MP I would only tell the truth, honesty and integrity are very Importent to me:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    In TSR UKIP males were more right wing than females, and non-MP's were equally as right wing as MPs. We calculated the average for males and then we calculated the average for females, the next step was to find the average between males and females to make sure that average was equal to the MP average. I am pleased to announce UKIP MPs are reflective of general UKIP opinion and that we remain the most right wing and authoritarian party even with Nebelbon's, and Fernando's results included.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I will. If I became an MP I would only tell the truth, honesty and integrity are very Importent to me:yep:
    And you'll forever sit on the back benches for it.

Politics is the expression of power and where people seek power you'll rarely see virtue. To get to the top in most careers you need to be ruthless, opportunistic and willing to put compromise ahead of idealism.

ReputationRep:
    In TSR UKIP males were more right wing than females, and non-MP's were equally as right wing as MPs. We calculated the average for males and then we calculated the average for females, the next step was to find the average between males and females to make sure that average was equal to the MP average. I am pleased to announce UKIP MPs are reflective of general UKIP opinion and that we remain the most right wing and authoritarian party even with Nebelbon's, and Fernando's results included.
    This is why I like raw data!!! To work out averages and deviations and correlations all really quickly. I want purple on my house graph:sad:

ReputationRep:
    And you'll forever sit on the back benches for it.

Politics is the expression of power and where people seek power you'll rarely see virtue. To get to the top in most careers you need to be ruthless, opportunistic and willing to put compromise ahead of idealism.
    I know. But that isn't the way it should work. It should be on merit not being rewarded for exploiting others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittiara)
    Though I would have thought UKIP would be pleased, proud even, to attract people from across the political spectrum.
    We are but with a larger range of views comes more difficulty in representing all views in the party.

You have missed out the part about massaging figures to make reality look like your ideal. It is what the Tories have done with extensive use of zero-hour contracts to boost employment figures, or Labour using Britain's 1930 GDP to claim the Tories want public spending to return to 1930's levels.

(Original post by Aph)
    x
    Remember that statistics are collected to support a point of view, not construct one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I know. But that isn't the way it should work. It should be on merit not being rewarded for exploiting others.
    But that can never happen.

Humans are a divided species with free will. We are predators who dominate and domesticate everything around us. We've been at war since the birth of civilisation and once we have interstellar technology i have little doubt that we will be at war across the stars.

Humans are brilliant, intelligent beings but at our core, half of us want to rule and the other half want to be ruled. Those who seek to rule will always win in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    Just remember that statistics are usually collected to support a point of view, not construct one, and statistics can be collected to support any point of view.
    I agree like makeup companies who can do an infinite number of tests on women and only use the most favourable.

people use maths to lie too often.

ReputationRep:
    But that can never happen.

Humans are a divided species with free will. We are predators who dominate and domesticate everything around us. We've been at war since the birth of civilisation and once we have interstellar technology i have little doubt that we will be at war across the stars.

Humans are brilliant, intelligent beings but at our core, half of us want to rule and the other half want to be ruled. Those who seek to rule will always win in the long run.
    I know:sad: but we can't develop into a space faring species until world peace is achieved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I know:sad: but we can't develop into a space faring species until world peace is achieved.
    Can we not? If the US developed a fleet of ships tomorrow there'd be absolutely nothing stopping them going to conquer Mars and bringing any gains back to the USA.

It's more likely that upon development of a space faring civilsation, the world will step into line behind whichever country has the technology out of fear that they could simply wipe out the others from orbit.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.