Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    I think that is pretty much the problem we are having at United. Rooney likes to have a team built around him but he's not quite good enough imo to be that guy for a top side. Same question again really, is Rooney good enough its worth compromising the way the team plays and the ability of Sturridge to score? I'm not so sure when you look at who else we can put in that position. I'd be really tempted to do as Nevin said and go with Sterling tbh, you're probably looking to have Gerrard and Henderson in the centre, Sturridge is going to the striker, he's got an advantage in terms of familiarity and fluidity of the bat, and you look at this season he does provide a goal threat.
    Hmm, Sterling as the no.10 in the world cup seems quite risky, I don't think he has the ability to pick out a man as well as other options(lallana) although he is good there, he does provide drive and he has a very good work rate, he's a goal threat too in the way that he picks up spaces and makes good runs between the CB's and FB, I'd be tempted to put in Lallana there, then use Sterling on one wing and another winger.

The major problem with having Sterling in the no.10 role is that AOC is now injured, So where would our pace from the wings come from? We're going to have to rely on outplaying them(which we can't do bar Costa Rica), or doing an Atlético, staying solid and having a very good work rate on the wings, that is absolutely no way to play in quick knockout round football, unless we're planning on rotating the outfield players every two games.

We're going to have to rely on Sterlings drive, I noticed that against Chelsea that when he had no space he couldn't drive into those pockets, but he destroyed City because they leave so much space between the CMs and the CBs, Italy if they were playing 4-4-2 diamond would give us no space there making sterling useless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    Hmm, Sterling as the no.10 in the world cup seems quite risky, I don't think he has the ability to pick out a man as well as other options(lallana) although he is good there, he does provide drive and he has a very good work rate, he's a goal threat too in the way that he picks up spaces and makes good runs between the CB's and FB, I'd be tempted to put in Lallana there, then use Sterling on one wing and another winger.

The major problem with having Sterling in the no.10 role is that AOC is now injured, So where would our pace from the wings come from? We're going to have to rely on outplaying them(which we can't do bar Costa Rica), or doing an Atlético, staying solid and having a very good work rate on the wings, that is absolutely no way to play in quick knockout round football, unless we're planning on rotating the outfield players every two games.

We're going to have to rely on Sterlings drive, I noticed that against Chelsea that when he had no space he couldn't drive into those pockets, but he destroyed City because they leave so much space between the CMs and the CBs, Italy if they were playing 4-4-2 diamond would give us no space there making sterling useless.
    yeah you might be right. I think I'd go with Lallana number 10 against Italy for sure, I don't really trust Rooney to mark the bottom of the diamond. I just think it's crucial to get Sturridge scoring if we're to get out of the groups, and Rooney will rarely provide that direct ball he likes.

How long is AOC out for, I thought it was like 10 days? I guess with him out and Barkley available, it forces Sterling out wide.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    yeah you might be right. I think I'd go with Lallana number 10 against Italy for sure, I don't really trust Rooney to mark the bottom of the diamond. I just think it's crucial to get Sturridge scoring if we're to get out of the groups, and Rooney will rarely provide that direct ball he likes.

How long is AOC out for, I thought it was like 10 days? I guess with him out and Barkley available, it forces Sterling out wide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Apparently it was Rooney's job to mark pirlo, or he was deliberately left unmarked by Woy so they could suit the 4-4-2 formation and we saw how that worked out. :rolleyes:

Yeah we need Sturridge firing, the thing is he doesn't seem like the Sturridge for Liverpool yet.

AOC is out for 10-21 days, he wouldn't be fit for the group stages at the very least. I guess Welbeck. Not that this matters, Rooney will start with Sturridge, 2 of Welbeck/Sterling/Milner.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    Who will make up England's defence line? Do you think Baines will be there?
    Has he played well this season?

ReputationRep:
    Italy hasn't won in seven outings. They are not the force we think they are. With a positive approach this should be a win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old_Simon)
    Italy hasn't won in seven outings. They are not the force we think they are. With a positive approach this should be a win.
    they'll top the group.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be ridiculous here.

Italy lost 3-0 to Russia before the euros and they got to the final of the euros. Do not ever underestimate italy.

They probably won't get that far because they have a very tough route to the final. But they are going to top the group. They'll probably get 7/9 points or 6/9.

We'll probably beat Uruguay if it came to crunch time though. But we're probably going to draw/lose to italy. Reckon if we draw to italy, we'll draw to uruguay and win our final match, if we lose to italy we'll beat uruguay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    Don't be ridiculous here.

Italy lost 3-0 to Russia before the euros and they got to the final of the euros. Do not ever underestimate italy.

They probably won't get that far because they have a very tough route to the final. But they are going to top the group. They'll probably get 7/9 points or 6/9.

We'll probably beat Uruguay if it came to crunch time though. But we're probably going to draw/lose to italy. Reckon if we draw to italy, we'll draw to uruguay and win our final match, if we lose to italy we'll beat uruguay.

We will beat Italy mate, quote me on it. A lot of you are going to look very daft indeed.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You can't read anything into dead rubber games and friendlies, especially Italy who always do poorly in them. For example they lost their last 3 games before Euro 2012 without scoring a goal and the only friendly they've won since 2011 was against San Marino. They turn up when it really matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)

We will beat Italy mate, quote me on it. A lot of you are going to look very daft indeed.
    Yeah, considering I called Italy beating us last time and getting to the final, I'm calling on us being dominated by Italy for 90mins.

It's quite clear that we're not going to beat italy.

1. They have a better system and setup than England.

2. They have better players all around the team. Bar strike force and that's debatable, Balotelli in tournament mode is unplayable and Rossi is essentially Aguero but injured more than him.

3. We have looked like ****, used a new system and have been playing terrible football for the most part since after the qualifying games. During the qualifiers we weren't great too, we played pretty average in the final two games and our tactic was pass to Townsend. We relied on a guy who plays for Spurs as a rotation option ffs!!!

They are better at attacking than us, they are better at defending than us.

We are going to lose this, probably to 0, we'll play that fat scouse ****(not lambert) and he'll be stropping around the pitch, not closing down pirlo(like he was supposed to do last time) and giving no service to my brother Sturridge.

All this counts to us losing 2-0 or 2-1. Our only hope of winning is scoring from a set piece and parking the bus. We don't have John Terry, so how are we going to score from a set piece(bar cahill) and how are we going to park the bus without John Terry.

We are not going to beat Italy. If people think we're suddenly going to click by the time the tournament starts they've got another thing coming. We have enough to beat uruguay, looking at the confeds they seemed like a bunch of individuals, their midfielders are worse than ours and their defence(bar godin) is pretty average. We should win that tbh.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Match thread up, I know it's a day or two early but hey:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2705700

ReputationRep:
    Anyone watching the Honduras game tonight, reckon it's worth staying up for it?

ReputationRep:
    lmao I have a £50 bet on England coming first in the groups.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Leonidas)
    Anyone watching the Honduras game tonight, reckon it's worth staying up for it?
    kick off is at 21:45 I believe... not exactly late? But in all seriousness, Honduras are a poor team and it will be a walk in the park so it depends if you have better things to be doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    kick off is at 21:45 I believe... not exactly late? But in all seriousness, Honduras are a poor team and it will be a walk in the park so it depends if you have better things to be doing.
    Ohh I thought kick off was at 10.45, thanks for clarifying that:yy:

Yeah that's what I was thinking however, Ecuador weren't in good form going into the England game either, but they gave a good performance. I might just watch it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordooooom)
    1. Well no ****, most countries have a higher standard of football than Scotland

2. Yes, the english top flight. Which actually goes to show that having one of the best leagues in the world doesn't necessarily mean you'll have one of the best national teams. Brazil, Portugal, Argentina are all better than England and have much poorer leagues.

3. Having top flight players doesn't necessarily mean you'll be the best. France have a great squad and they are piss poor.
    Portugal have a very strong league. Much stronger than Scotland that's for sure. Their national team isn't really better than England's though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Leonidas)
    Ohh I thought kick off was at 10.45, thanks for clarifying that:yy:

Yeah that's what I was thinking however, Ecuador weren't in good form going into the England game either, but they gave a good performance. I might just watch it
    All World Cup kickoffs are on the hour. England Italy starts at 10.

The latest kickoffs in the World Cup are at 11 pm uk time apart from one game: Ivory Coast-Japan which starts at 2am (???)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LightBlueSoldier)
    All World Cup knockoffs are on the hour. England Italy starts at 10.

EDIT - Man said 'knockoffs'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)

EDIT - Man said 'knockoffs'

The FIFA website is bizarre. The timings are all 'local time' which is useless as there are different time zones. Typical FIFA. Thought it was in et.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LightBlueSoldier)

The FIFA website is bizarre. The timings are all 'local time' which is useless as there are different time zones. Typical FIFA. Thought it was in et.
    Definitely 11, it was originally meant to be 1am GMT but they brought it back a couple hours. Remember there being a fuss over it.

Anyone know if there are gonna be screenings in the big cities in England?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.