what's redbrick again?
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by FM08)
what's redbrick again?

i have no idea..something my teacher used followed by ''manc durham leeds'' iirc

:o:
Malsy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
wiki ftw http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_brick_university
FM08
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
oh ye basically where all those middleclass snobbish nerds group I think. Manc, Durham, Leeds & York .. I imagine, good examples.
twizzle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey i don't know if this is the right forum to be sharing this? i think H & R is overloaded with people with my kind of problems. I just feel so unhappy. I have done since i split up with my ex, who cheated on me and then got with his current gf which was like 8 months ago . It makes me so unhappy, i've tried not thinking about it, distracting myself, dating new people, pulling etc, but i'm still so unhappy. It got to the point last year where i'd hold a knife to wrists and just want to cut or stand at the edge of the road and just want to jump in rather than being so unhappy with my life. I constantly compare myself to the new gf and think she's much better than i am, then i compare myself to other people in relationships, i compare myself with people at uni and wish i was that pretty, cool, clever, rich, popular etc it makes me feel so inadequate. I went to see a counsellor because it got to the point where i'd wake up having panic attacks and throwing up and constantly crying for no reason. I just hated myself. She didn't help me though, all she said was I sound like i have depression and that maybe i should try exercising for now (until the apps, because it's a long waiting list for my uni counsellor) I did that and it made me feel better for a bit, but now i constantly worry about my weight, thinking i'm fat and useless. This unhappiness has pushed a lot of my friends away and i don't feel close to many people anymore, i snap at the littlest of things then end up crying because i don't want to feel this way. I never used to. I just want my old self back who was happy in herself and always smiling. I just feel so lonely, all the boys i seem to get to know at uni just want sex, i feel ugly even though people tell me i'm pretty all of the time, i feel stupid, i have to resit a module this summer that i failed, and i feel that no-one wants to be around me because i can't be the fun carefree party girl anymore.I just feel that no-one i know understands me. I feel life is passing me by and i'm young and should be enjoying it, but i see everyone having so much fun, but i keep thinking they're having a better time than me, this summer all i've done is worked and used the internet and gone the gym, i only have a few friends from back home anyway but our days off never work out together, most days i just don't want to leave the house when i'm feeling down, i can't pretend to be happy all the time. I don't fit in at uni cos i'm not from the right background i.e. the home counties/down south, my family isn't well off and i've been brought up by my dad because my mum was an alcoholic, i'm so jealous of these people who are middle class and happy. but when i come back home, i feel i don't fit in either, cos they think i'm posh cos i do law at uni and have moved away and i don't wear as much makeup as them or dress up as much of them. Wherever i go, i don't fit in :-(
twizzle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by FM08)
Ye that's what worries me. Nothing wrong with a bit of it to a degree but when all your mind can think about is those things and you immerse yourself into that culture I find that very scary. The most worrying thing is I see this type of attitude/culture very much amongst many people! Like I'm seriously wondering if there's a normal social crowd who aren't absolutely fixated on drugs & cheap cheap sex .. thing is that crowd are usually oddballs IMO.

I just hope I don't have to conform to fit in. I can't help but feel it's either that, or miss out alltogether.
I'm wondering the same, a lot of people i used to know were fixated on drugs and one night stands, they couldn't understand me not wanting to get involved with that. Uni people are the most selfish people i've ever known. I don't mean all, some are lovely, but there's something about uni that changes people. Makes them arrogant, selfish, shallow, condescending and judgemental. I thought uni would be about accepting everyone the way they were but 2 years on, it seems to be that you're only accepted if you fall into the indie,weedsmoking, pill popping, casual sex person category who seem to be the arty bohemian/political types. Which a lot of them are a bit strange...
FM08
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by twizzle)
I'm wondering the same, a lot of people i used to know were fixated on drugs and one night stands, they couldn't understand me not wanting to get involved with that. Uni people are the most selfish people i've ever known. I don't mean all, some are lovely, but there's something about uni that changes people. Makes them arrogant, selfish, shallow, condescending and judgemental. I thought uni would be about accepting everyone the way they were but 2 years on, it seems to be that you're only accepted if you fall into the indie,weedsmoking, pill popping, casual sex person category who seem to be the arty bohemian/political types. Which a lot of them are a bit strange...
What you've described is exactly what worries me. Since seeing people back from Uni they've started taking drugs casually and living life purely for themself. It's as if all they care about is their money, their drugs and their ****. And I can see how this sort of vibe they give off can be very prominent at Uni. I've certainly noticed the 'arrogant, selfish, shallow, ' side ... it's like they lost everything that was good about them. That whole lifestyle seems to have taken over them.
twizzle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by FM08)
What you've described is exactly what worries me. Since seeing people back from Uni they've started taking drugs casually and living life purely for themself. It's as if all they care about is their money, their drugs and their ****. And I can see how this sort of vibe they give off can be very prominent at Uni. I've certainly noticed the 'arrogant, selfish, shallow, ' side ... it's like they lost everything that was good about them. That whole lifestyle seems to have taken over them.
are you at uni yet? or just about to go? yeah a lot of people i've known have changed so much, become so hardened and on edge, they've lost a lot of their innocence since being there which is a shame, nothing wrong with growing up and maturing, but you have to keep some sense of who you are and not let yourself be caught up with everything that's going on there. Don't get me wrong, there are some lovely people there who wouldn't hurt a fly, but they are few and far between i'm finding.
FM08
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
About to go in September.

I recently saw some old friends, they changed so much for the worse as I've described. And that really hit me, and I found it hard to put it into words but it's very sad to see tbh.
twizzle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by FM08)
About to go in September.

I recently saw some old friends, they changed so much for the worse as I've described. And that really hit me, and I found it hard to put it into words but it's very sad to see tbh.
Don't worry, if i can stay true to myself, then so can you, there is a lot of peer pressure there, but remember your morals and views, don't change them for anyone. Uni is a good experience don't forget and i'm still glad i went.
Malsy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i hate life
blackfish
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm being to feel like I am going to fail epicly with my new job... I've had to kick my flat mate out as he assaulted me and we'd been living together less than a week...! The stress is getting unbearable... Being stuck at my parents doesnt help...!

I hate feeling like this... I feel so empty and cold... It hurts... But I just have to put up with it...!
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by twizzle)
Hey i don't know if this is the right forum to be sharing this? i think H & R is overloaded with people with my kind of problems. I just feel so unhappy. I have done since i split up with my ex, who cheated on me and then got with his current gf which was like 8 months ago . It makes me so unhappy, i've tried not thinking about it, distracting myself, dating new people, pulling etc, but i'm still so unhappy. It got to the point last year where i'd hold a knife to wrists and just want to cut or stand at the edge of the road and just want to jump in rather than being so unhappy with my life. I constantly compare myself to the new gf and think she's much better than i am, then i compare myself to other people in relationships, i compare myself with people at uni and wish i was that pretty, cool, clever, rich, popular etc it makes me feel so inadequate. I went to see a counsellor because it got to the point where i'd wake up having panic attacks and throwing up and constantly crying for no reason. I just hated myself. She didn't help me though, all she said was I sound like i have depression and that maybe i should try exercising for now (until the apps, because it's a long waiting list for my uni counsellor) I did that and it made me feel better for a bit, but now i constantly worry about my weight, thinking i'm fat and useless. This unhappiness has pushed a lot of my friends away and i don't feel close to many people anymore, i snap at the littlest of things then end up crying because i don't want to feel this way. I never used to. I just want my old self back who was happy in herself and always smiling. I just feel so lonely, all the boys i seem to get to know at uni just want sex, i feel ugly even though people tell me i'm pretty all of the time, i feel stupid, i have to resit a module this summer that i failed, and i feel that no-one wants to be around me because i can't be the fun carefree party girl anymore.I just feel that no-one i know understands me. I feel life is passing me by and i'm young and should be enjoying it, but i see everyone having so much fun, but i keep thinking they're having a better time than me, this summer all i've done is worked and used the internet and gone the gym, i only have a few friends from back home anyway but our days off never work out together, most days i just don't want to leave the house when i'm feeling down, i can't pretend to be happy all the time. I don't fit in at uni cos i'm not from the right background i.e. the home counties/down south, my family isn't well off and i've been brought up by my dad because my mum was an alcoholic, i'm so jealous of these people who are middle class and happy. but when i come back home, i feel i don't fit in either, cos they think i'm posh cos i do law at uni and have moved away and i don't wear as much makeup as them or dress up as much of them. Wherever i go, i don't fit in :-(
Sorry, maybe I missed it, but have you thought about seeing a doctor? Counsellors can help in mild to moderate depression but if you're thinking of hurting yourself, having panic attacks and constantly crying there might be only so much they can do.

I don't know what to suggest about your ex tbh but perhaps try writing down all the reasons you're upset over it then either on your own or with a counsellor try to rationalise them. I dunno....sometimes that helps me with stuff.

Believe me I know exactly what you mean "wherever I go I don't fit in" it's a horrible feeling, but you're definitely not alone. This has probably been suggested to you a lot or you've thought of it already but are you in any societies? When I go back to uni I've lined up all the ones I want to join already just so hopefully I can meet some people like me and not be the one who doesn't fit all the time. Not everyone at uni is from the home counties/down south. I'm not. :p: There are people who aren't stuck up ***** they're just a bit harder to meet but the only way to do it is to keep getting out there and don't give up.
twizzle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
Sorry, maybe I missed it, but have you thought about seeing a doctor? Counsellors can help in mild to moderate depression but if you're thinking of hurting yourself, having panic attacks and constantly crying there might be only so much they can do.

I don't know what to suggest about your ex tbh but perhaps try writing down all the reasons you're upset over it then either on your own or with a counsellor try to rationalise them. I dunno....sometimes that helps me with stuff.

Believe me I know exactly what you mean "wherever I go I don't fit in" it's a horrible feeling, but you're definitely not alone. This has probably been suggested to you a lot or you've thought of it already but are you in any societies? When I go back to uni I've lined up all the ones I want to join already just so hopefully I can meet some people like me and not be the one who doesn't fit all the time. Not everyone at uni is from the home counties/down south. I'm not. :p: There are people who aren't stuck up ***** they're just a bit harder to meet but the only way to do it is to keep getting out there and don't give up.
I'm not in any societies at the minute, but plan to join some when i go back to uni, because i was working evenings last year so never had any time for them. I was thinking of maybe doing a martial art, but i'm worried i won't be very good at it and i'll end up quiting. Just a bit nervous about doing something by myself.

I've not seen a doctor because gradually those feelings have lessened but i still get some days where i just want to not be awake and have to deal with it, but lately ever since i moved home for summer, i've just been having nightmares. my friends don't understand what i'm going through, they just think i'm being argumentitive and boring, so they've started talking to me less. i feel like i'm growing apart from my best friend and who is also my housemate because she doesn't understand. She tried at first to help me and she did help so much, but then she stopped texting me supportive texts and stopped spending time where it's just me and her, because there's always some boy (a different one each month) she's chatting to or chasing or doing something with her coursemates, like not even including me to lunch at the union when all our friends went cos she told me she was doing work, even though people not from her course were invited. I'm just tired of thinking sometimes. I wish there was a way to get rid of the negative thoughts.
Vienna Cannon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have been feeling generally low this past week Its now been three years and it has affected me a great bit
I feel like I still shouldnt be this way that i should be stronger
death.drop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Vienna Cannon)
I have been feeling generally low this past week Its now been three years and it has affected me a great bit
I feel like I still shouldnt be this way that i should be stronger
I think we all feel like this at times, but you can't control how you feel, none of us can.
You're stronger than a lot of people to even be here 3 years on. To have spoken about things and for you to be trying to help yourself reflects strength in you, the strength that it takes to not give up and to really try to make the best of your hand life. What you went through was very difficult, something for which there is no real resolution, you just have to try your best and look forwards and everyone here has seen that that's what you're doing.
please, focus on all the achievements you have in your life, on how much they say about you. When you feel like you're not strong enough bear in mind how well you've done, especially considering you've done most of it on their own, think about others in your situation and what you'd say to them.
You've done so well, and through all that's happened to you you've even managed to help and support others.
I'm so thankful for the support you've provided for me, I just wish you could see yourself how others do, I wish you could be as positive about yourself as you were with me in those desperate times.

I hope you feel a little better as time goes on, and I'm always here if you need to talk.
Laus
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
Snap out of it, people

By Fiona Phillips 1/08/2009

Anyone who suffers from a mental illness will know that there's precious little sympathy out there.

Comic Relief aims to address that with its Time To Change campaign, which has unearthed the shocking finding that friends would rather go on holiday with someone with a criminal record.

The stigma means that nine out of 10 people with a problem are prevented from doing normal things like going to the pub or enjoying regular relationships with friends. Schizophrenics, in particular, are often shunned by whole communities, where ignorance leads to persecution.

People with mental-health problems need love, understanding and support. So in the words of those who fail to understand the crippling effects of depression - come on, pull yourselves together!

Mental-health problems are debilitating illnesses, so show some compassion.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-21563017/
Malsy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:cry:
death.drop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Malsy)
:cry:
whatup? i'm not around for long and i've had a few drinkies but if you want to talk i'm sure i can hang gon.
Malsy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by death.drop)
whatup? i'm not around for long and i've had a few drinkies but if you want to talk i'm sure i can hang gon.

im just crying a lot thiinking about how i got to this state in my life and how theres no way out
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (213)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
7%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.63%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (256)
47.15%

Watched Threads