Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel - Chemistry Unit 2 - 4 June 2013 Watch

• View Poll Results: Which topic(s) are you finding most difficult?
    Shapes of molecules and ions
    11.66%
    Intermediate bonding and bond polarity
    15.95%
    Intermolecular forces
    9.82%
    Redox
    17.79%
    Group 2 & 7
    40.49%
    Kinetics & Equilibria
    14.11%
    Organic Chemistry - Alcohols and Halogenoalkanes
    39.26%
    Mechanisms
    26.38%
    Green Chemistry
    28.83%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Priya08)
    jan 2011 paper 14c(ii)draw a diagram of the apparatus you would use to prepare ethanal from ethanol in the lab and collect the product....help, what would I draw??
    Distillation apparatus i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posthumus)
    Ah I see, not in this unit ! But it is in Unit 4 :/ Which I need to start preparing for straight afterwards damn it

Thanks!

Yes that's correct, and sorry did the question ask for lowest boiling point ??
    no for highest, but if i has more electrons it would be higher than cl ? yes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marseille_h)
    Distillation apparatus i think
    (Original post by Priya08)
    jan 2011 paper 14c(ii)draw a diagram of the apparatus you would use to prepare ethanal from ethanol in the lab and collect the product....help, what would I draw??
    erm I don't think cos somehow u gotta convert ethanal into ethanol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posthumus)
    Ah I see, not in this unit ! But it is in Unit 4 :/ Which I need to start preparing for straight afterwards damn it

Thanks!
    Sorry for the confusion.

ChemGuide is an awesome website to start with. It should cover everything you need, I'd take a good long look around it if you haven't already, especially if you're doing A2 this year. For Unit 2 alone it's probably not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    suggest another reason, other than experimental error why your value of titration differs? always standard question...any answers?

ReputationRep:
    What apparatus do we use to carry out elimination reactions? (like halogenoalkanes + alcoholic KOH --> alkene)

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain to me how to determine what a compound is purely through its mass spectrum?

ReputationRep:
    There would be a major peak in the mass spectrum for butan-1-ol, CH3CH2CH2CH2OH, but not for butan-2-ol, CH3CH2CH(OH)CH3, at m/e value:

A = 15

B = 17

C = 29

D = 43

Which one will be correct and why?

ReputationRep:
    what r da mechanisms we shud know for unit 2

ReputationRep:
    20 cm3 of sulfuric acid, concentration 0.25 mol dm–3, was neutralized in a titration with
    barium hydroxide, concentration 0.50 mol dm–3. The equation for the reaction is
    Ba(OH)2(aq) + H2SO4(aq) → BaSO4(s) + 2H2O(l)
    (a) The volume of barium hydroxide required was (1)
    A 10 cm3
    B 20 cm3
    C 25 cm3
    D 40 cm3

HELP and an you please explain step by step please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurraiyo)
    What apparatus do we use to carry out elimination reactions? (like halogenoalkanes + alcoholic KOH --> alkene)
    Heat under reflux. If the alkene is gaseous, collect it in a syringe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geor)
    Horizontal test-tube containing ceramic fibres soaked in halogenoalkane + alcoholic KOH. Bung and delivery tube to an inverted test-tube under water. Heat the ceramic fibres!
    Can you find a picture of it by any chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geor)
    Horizontal test-tube containing ceramic fibres soaked in halogenoalkane + alcoholic KOH. Bung and delivery tube to an inverted test-tube under water. Heat the ceramic fibres!
    Da*** did I just read? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geor)
    I don't sorry!

It was asked in May 2011 - read the mark scheme, haa
    Question #?

ReputationRep:
    Hey this was from some time back...

... but I remember something like .... Delivery tube needs to go under the water as "something" (gas) is soluble.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about ? or am I just making this up

ReputationRep:
    http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/41702

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geor)
    17)f)ii)
    I thought that method was for cracking long straight-chained alkanes . Either way, collection in a gas syringe is valid too.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can someone please explain to me why the c-Br bond is more electronegative than the C-I bond. I also don't understand why thermal stability of metal carbonates increases down group 2 even-though that as the cation ion gets larger down the group doesn't that make it less stable as it can easily lose electrons now as it has more sheilding and so it's further away from the nucleus. I'm quite confused,
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    arrange these in order of increasing strength -

covalent bonds
    hydrigen bonds
    london forces
    dipole-dipole interactions

ReputationRep:
    whats the hardest paper u guys have seen?? and do you think the paper will be hard tomorrow?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.