Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BREAKING: Reports of multiple explosions at Boston Marathon leaving dozens wounded. Watch

The whole thing is strange. A flight a few days later? Surely they would have booked it for the same day. They must have been very stupid if they thought the images wouldn't have been released quickly

ReputationRep:
    They had no cash, they had not pre-booked a flight?

Not well thought out at all

ReputationRep:
    Imagine having 9000 people looking for you! Worse than level 6 on GTA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by commandant)
    The whole thing is strange. A flight a few days later? Surely they would have booked it for the same day. They must have been very stupid if they thought the images wouldn't have been released quickly
    I'm thinking that

1) They didn't pay for the flight themselves, their dad paid for it, and it was booked for a certain day.

2) The target, the Marathon, is on a fixed date

3) Flying out a few days later could be rationalised in the sense that it might be expected that in the very immediate aftermath security would be massively heightened at airports

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmyname)
    They had no cash, they had not pre-booked a flight?

Not well thought out at all
    Apparently they had a pre-booked flight for a few days later to go back to Russia.

I expect they hadn't expected their faces would be plastered all over the media, and suddenly they were in a situation in which they couldn't return to their house, or use their bank cards or mobile phones.

Unrelated: That Charles River Road would be a good place to hide! They may have been wasting their time at Howe and Hazel.

I expect he'll be hiding somewhere in plain sight... like up a tree, and the swat team forgot to look up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexandrTheGreat)
    The photo in this article is pretty clear.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...n-bomb-suspect

You can tell from the facial features and curly hair that it's the same guy. Also, after the photos were released the brothers then shot a police officer and then carjacked an SUV, leading to a chase that resulted in the shootout, from which Dzhokar escaped.
    That photo was released after the shooting of the cop. Also, how did they know (from the photo from the bombings) it was them? Wouldn't ANYBODY run after a bomb went off?

ReputationRep:
    You reckon he's hooked up his headphones to his iphone and is listening in? It seems reasonable to assume this would vitiate his situational awareness, and that he's not using any electronic devices for fear of being tracked
    I reckon it's not out of the realms of reasonable doubt. I certainly would try and get on that site if I was being chased. If I killed someone, I'd be tracking the news. Though maybe he's still in denial, but at this point he's either going to die or going to get caught, so anything else is futile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronki23)
    That photo was released after the shooting of the cop. Also, how did they know (from the photo from the bombings) it was them? Wouldn't ANYBODY run after a bomb went off?
    If they had id'd the bag from which the explosion came, and then checked who dropped the bag, they would have found the bombers, which they have.

ReputationRep:
    By examining the CCTV, it became quite obvious who had layed down backpacks and walked off without them. There is no conspiracy.

OT and to the thread: Uncle Ruslan is badass.

ReputationRep:
    found someone in an alleyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    found someone in an alleyway
    any development?

ReputationRep:
    By examining the CCTV, it became quite obvious who had layed down backpacks and walked off without them. There is no conspiracy.

OT and to the thread: Uncle Ruslan is badass.
    Never said it was a conspiracy.

I am not sure if these guys have Al Qaeda links apart from supporting them indirectly (Al Qaeda views any government/group having disputes with Muslims as the enemy). Al Qaeda attacked the USA for supporting Israel/having bases in Saudi Arabia (both religious reasons); for a Chechen duo to attack Americans it must be for blaming America for not helping them against the Russians (it would've made more sense if they bombed the Russian embassy)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stringer987)
    any development?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Read on reddit that the robbery at 7-11 wasn't them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stringer987)
    any development?
    negative, was just a random guy.

ReputationRep:
    for a Chechen duo to attack Americans it must be for blaming America for not helping them against the Russians (it would've made more sense if they bombed the Russian embassy)
    It's kinda more complicated.... the Chechen Islamic extremist movement is part of a global movement that is very much one for all and all for one. KavkazCentre, the main Chechen terrorist website, has said repeatedly that they see any enemy of Islamic extremism, anywhere, as their enemy.

Thus, in the eyes of such an extremist, their enemies would include India, Israel and the United States.

This does reflect the globalisation of Jihad; in the 1990s, such an attack against American targets would have been unthinkable. In fact, there's some evidence (though not conclusive) that the US did indeed support the Chechen Islamist movements (who also fought in Kosovo, Bosnia, etc)

ReputationRep:
    It's kinda more complicated.... the Chechen Islamic extremist movement is part of a global movement that is very much one for all and all for one. KavkazCentre, the main Chechen terrorist website, has said repeatedly that they see any enemy of Islamic extremism, anywhere, as their enemy.

Thus, in the eyes of such an extremist, their enemies would include India, Israel and the United States.

This does reflect the globalisation of Jihad; in the 1990s, such an attack against American targets would have been unthinkable. In fact, there's some evidence (though not conclusive) that the US did indeed support the Chechen Islamist movements (who also fought in Kosovo, Bosnia, etc)
    Notice how if I replace the names of the organisation, the paragraph describes the same thing:

the Al Qaeda movement is part of a global movement that is very much one for all and all for one... the main Al Qaeda terrorist website, has said repeatedly that they see any enemy of Islamic extremism, anywhere, as their enemy.

ReputationRep:
    They didn't know for sure but it made them suspects. One minute they had the bags, then they don't. Plus there is that picture after the bomb where the younger brother appears to be walking away while everyone else is running (admittedly not easy to tell from a still).

Regardless once they were identified as suspects from the bombings, the MIT cop would have recognized them and tried to apprehend them. If they were innocent why shoot the cop then lead the police on a car chase while continuing to fire at the police and throw grenades/IEDs at them?

tl;dr if they weren't the bombers they wouldn't have gone on the rampage.

ReputationRep:
    So they shut down the whole city and pretty much get the army in for one guy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmyname)
    Read on reddit that the robbery at 7-11 wasn't them
    I read the same on a live update.

I was wondering this too.

I know there are images of them being at the scene, but they're quite hazy and unclear, particularly the bag placement. I'd much rather the video footage was made public knowledge, at least that way we'd get a clearer picture.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.