Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anybody got any recommendations of places I should apply if I can only really restart working on apps on the 14th of Jan??

Also, Bird & Bird - do you think i should bother applying there considering as a second year I have no exp of IP law and that's obviously what theyre all about? If I have a chance as long as I enthuse about my intentions for IP Law, I'll give it a go, if not I'll give it a miss, time's too valuable and I want at least one VS this summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TykeDragon)
    Anybody got any recommendations of places I should apply if I can only really restart working on apps on the 14th of Jan??

Also, Bird & Bird - do you think i should bother applying there considering as a second year I have no exp of IP law and that's obviously what theyre all about? If I have a chance as long as I enthuse about my intentions for IP Law, I'll give it a go, if not I'll give it a miss, time's too valuable and I want at least one VS this summer.
    Lots of the US firms are non rolling, and close Jan or beyond).

(Covington & Burling, Gibson Dunn, Sidley Austin, White & Case, Vinson & Elkins, Davis Polk, Debevoise Plimpton.

Also Travers Smith and SJ Berwin are not rolling.

ReputationRep:
    All of those are non-rolling?! Excellent thanks mate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonnieCA)
    Anyone applied to Irwin Mitchell and received a response requesting telephone interview? Or any friends/classmates?
    Hey! I applied to Irwin Mitchell around mid Dec but haven't heard a reply yet. When did you apply if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone actually had the telephone interview for Irwin Mitchell??
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyangelg)
    Yeah it was a discussion but I had to have arguments in relation to what I wrote and why etc. I got a rejection after an AC at Links and they said the main issue was the depth and structure in the case study interview. It was soo hard.

Thankyou J-SP, what you are saying seems right as it was a bit rambly and a bit wishy washy. I am really trying to work on it for my next AC on thursday but I don't know how especially as I have no clue what it will be about
    Don't rush into answers. Pause, think about the key facts you have to hand to back up what your saying, or any evidence you have from outside of the case study. Try and be confident and assertive in what your saying. When challenged listen to what they are saying, think about why they are asking/challenging what you as saying and either stick to your guns or try to find evidence for another point of view (and be honest as say you hadn't originally considered it).

These assessments are designed for you to think on your feet. You can't really prepare for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    just had an interview at shearman & sterling - anyone in the same boat? do you know how long it'll take them to reject/accept ?!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liarpoker)

(Covington & Burling, Gibson Dunn, Sidley Austin, White & Case, Vinson & Elkins, Davis Polk, Debevoise Plimpton.

KWM (what SJB are now called) are doing rolling recruitment this year. They start the interview process next week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What small/medium firms are not rolling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    KWM (what SJB are now called) are doing rolling recruitment this year. They start the interview process next week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ]]

Ya! But I heard that this year they are introducing video interviews even though its not mentioned in the website,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liarpoker)

Travers Smith state on their website that they aren't rolling but will start handing out interview dates in the New Year allocating places from now onwards.. so with Travers Smith best to get apps in now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STheBlondie)
    Sorry to hear that. Did you receive that before or after doing the critical reasoning test? I submitted just before the Christmas break and haven't heard anything yet.
    Before the critical thinking test, sorry if this doesn't help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de jure)
    Before the critical thinking test, sorry if this doesn't help!
    Yeah it does, thanks! I was unsure if the test was sent automatically or not.

ReputationRep:
    Hey has anyone done the Simmons AC which they can shed some light on? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by givemegoodnews)
    Hey has anyone done the Simmons AC which they can shed some light on? Thanks
    I did it a while ago. Its a long day and the tasks aren't easy I'd say. Its also different in that its assessment focussed and not much time is spent getting to know you as a person - even the questions about you in the interview are competency based. I enjoyed the day though and I think that's important to come across as personable etc when there's little time spent on you. Just make sure you don't get daunted by the tasks and stay calm. Not much more really to add.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm PFO from a firm, however, not sure whether it's for the VS or a paralegal role I applied for (doesn't actually say in the email) just says 'Kind regards, X Recruitment Team'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mack3)
    I did it a while ago. Its a long day and the tasks aren't easy I'd say. Its also different in that its assessment focussed and not much time is spent getting to know you as a person - even the questions about you in the interview are competency based. I enjoyed the day though and I think that's important to come across as personable etc when there's little time spent on you. Just make sure you don't get daunted by the tasks and stay calm. Not much more really to add.
    Hmm that's a shame :erm:

I know there's a document review exercise and an interview, but what's the interactive exercise they mention?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyWoccy)
    Hmm that's a shame :erm:

I know there's a document review exercise and an interview, but what's the interactive exercise they mention?
    It's a group discussion in teams and then with everyone at the AC (which in mine was about 6/7) and having to come to an agreement, for me that was the most straightforward part of the day. I'd say the most relaxed bit is lunch with trainees so make the most of that as well. Its a good day though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mack3)
    It's a group discussion in teams and then with everyone at the AC (which in mine was about 6/7) and having to come to an agreement, for me that was the most straightforward part of the day. I'd say the most relaxed bit is lunch with trainees so make the most of that as well. Its a good day though
    Oh, that does sound quite interesting - a sort of negotiation thing then

ReputationRep:
    Anyone kind enough to shed some light on Hogan Lovells AC? Mainly interested in what questions the partners might ask.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.