Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dstunr
When did you apply?

7th October
Original post by sr-96
Which unis are they? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

KCL,UCL,Warwick,Bath,Bristol,Manchester,Leeds or Birmingham.Considering others as well
Reply 962
Original post by Skill Twix
KCL,UCL,Warwick,Bath,Bristol,Manchester,Leeds or Birmingham.Considering others as well

I think 2 a*aa 2 AAA and 1 aab should be fine considering your doing your internal exams first and your strong at maths:smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sr-96
I think 2 a*aa 2 AAA and 1 aab should be fine considering your doing your internal exams first and your strong at maths:smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I got a B in AS level maths(was predicted 4 A's anyways).We've had three tests and I've got full marks.My maths teacher has trusted me and I am pushing myself to get 3A*s in my internal exams.I am a bit worried about Warwick and UCL.
Reply 964
Well I got a B in AS level maths(was predicted 4 A's anyways).We've had three tests and I've got full marks.My maths teacher has trusted me and I am pushing myself to get 3A*s in my internal exams.I am a bit worried about Warwick and UCL.

How do internal exams work? It is unfortunate that the B is in maths for the top unis as their economics courses tend to be quite mathsy:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr-96
How do internal exams work? It is unfortunate that the B is in maths for the top unis as their economics courses tend to be quite mathsy:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well at our school,the grades range from U to A*(in the internal exams).If you get good grades in the internal exams,you are supposed to get good grades in your finals
Still not losing hope :smile:
PS I love maths to be honest :biggrin:
Reply 966
Well at our school,the grades range from U to A*(in the internal exams).If you get good grades in the internal exams,you are supposed to get good grades in your finals
Still not losing hope :smile:
PS I love maths to be honest :biggrin:

Oh, I think I understand now (was a little bit confused regarding the internal exams). Are they like mock exams? :smile:

I didn't mean to sound harsh in any way and I wouldn't want to discourage you. Seeing as you're doing so well in the tests etc, I suspect you will also do well in the final exams including maths. So apply to the universities that you want to as there is no point in going to a university that you are not happy with.
Original post by hukdealz
so many cats out there do economics in the hope of one day becoming a 'city boy' investment banker.

reality: the majority of 'city boy' investment bankers are physics or maths graduates.

or engineering because they like the problem solvers
Original post by sr-96
Oh, I think I understand now (was a little bit confused regarding the internal exams). Are they like mock exams? :smile:

I didn't mean to sound harsh in any way and I wouldn't want to discourage you. Seeing as you're doing so well in the tests etc, I suspect you will also do well in the final exams including maths. So apply to the universities that you want to as there is no point in going to a university that you are not happy with.

Yes they are similar to mock exams :smile:
You aren't demoralizing me.
Hopefully,I will.But seeing many people applying with more A's than me at Warwick/UCL,I don't see myself getting an offer.Still,shouldn't give up!
Original post by emmelinelu
or engineering because they like the problem solvers

Or, as it has already been stated, the institution makes the biggest difference, not the actual degree you do when it comes to an industry like IB.
Reply 970
Yes they are similar to mock exams :smile:
You aren't demoralizing me.
Hopefully,I will.But seeing many people applying with more A's than me at Warwick/UCL,I don't see myself getting an offer.Still,shouldn't give up!

Im glad :smile: your grades are perfectly respectable and I think I saw somewhere that in 2012 1 in 3 got offers from Warwick for economics so its not as competitive as I previously thought:redface: do remember that people on tsr aren't representative of the average applicant. The best thing to do now is to focus on writing a killer PS:smile:
Yes, even if I dont get the offers I want I won't give up, I'll take a gap year and re-apply! Never give up:biggrin:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 971
Original post by H0PEL3SS
Or, as it has already been stated, the institution makes the biggest difference, not the actual degree you do when it comes to an industry like IB.

Actually, the more competitive degrees at e.g. Oxbridge and LSE get much better looks. Economics graduates have better chances than Geography or Social Policy graduates not necessarily because of their skillset but because firms know they are a lot smarter on average.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Daltohn
Actually, the more competitive degrees at e.g. Oxbridge and LSE get much better looks. Economics graduates have better chances than Geography or Social Policy graduates not necessarily because of their skillset but because firms know they are a lot smarter on average.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Generally speaking you're right. I spoke to the head of the IB division at Goldman Sachs, and was told that as long as you didn't do a soft degree like film studies, any degree would be enough. But I think its not that the firms know that they're smarter, but that an Economics graduate would, most of the time, more easily adapt to the environment than say, a classics graduate during the application process.
Anyone on here applied to economics and management or straight management?
Original post by H0PEL3SS

I did work experience at Barclays Capital and most people did have maths/phys/engineering degrees from a really varied range of unis: some oxbridge, some russell, some pretty mid table so I don't think it does matter than much

They did actually say at one point the head of the trading floor refused to hire anyone with an economics degree haha
(edited 9 years ago)
yeah i did :smile:
Original post by NinjaPandaa
maybe bath then, they've given out a fair few offers already so you could have a look on university connect at how well people have performed at gcse and AS to compare yourself too?

I got an offer from Bath approx. 24 hours after my application went off, A*AA for Econ with year out, I got 4 A’s at AS and A*A*AA predicted (Maths, F.Maths, Econ, Physics respectively). At GCSE I got 8 A* 3A.

Hope this helps
Has anybody received an offer from Warwick - I’m really curious:tongue:?
Just got an unconditional offer for Econs at LSE :biggrin: got an offer at Warwick quite some time ago haha
Original post by klaustrophobic
Just got an unconditional offer for Econs at LSE :biggrin: got an offer at Warwick quite some time ago haha

Wow congrats! May I ask what your stats are? Also where else did you apply? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending