Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dstunr)
    When did you apply? And what did you get for GCSEs, AS etc?

5A* GCSE

AAAB AS - 94% Maths, 94% Economics

A*A*AA predictions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a320airbus97)
    I applied of 20th October

Oh cool I got a reply from them in about 10 days so you should expect one soon!..

ReputationRep:
    Did everyone that got an offer from Nottingham receive an acknowledgment email before?

ReputationRep:
    Did everyone that got an offer from Nottingham receive an acknowledgment email before?
    Nope, I got the email slightly after Track got updated, then I got a letter in the post yesterday to confirm it as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Follett)
    I did the same with the international study option and got the same offer. I've never heard of them doing it before, it's stupid as it just puts people of putting them down as an insurance

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can't agree more, I had hoped for it to be my backup behind by either Durham or Warwick (Fingers crossed), but this has left with a bit of a dilemma as what to do.

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer from Nottingham last night!!!!

Offer: A*AA
    applied: 13th October
    Acknowledgement email: 16th October
    No other emails received.
    Offer received: 29th October
    GCSEs: 11A*'s 4As
    AS grades: 4As (90% average)
    A2 Predictions: 3A*s

Hope this is helpful to anyone who is still waiting to hear back from Nottingham! Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    When did you apply?
    7th October

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr-96)
    Which unis are they?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    KCL,UCL,Warwick,Bath,Bristol,Man chester,Leeds or Birmingham.Considering others as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill Twix)
    KCL,UCL,Warwick,Bath,Bristol,Man chester,Leeds or Birmingham.Considering others as well
    I think 2 a*aa 2 AAA and 1 aab should be fine considering your doing your internal exams first and your strong at maths
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr-96)
    I think 2 a*aa 2 AAA and 1 aab should be fine considering your doing your internal exams first and your strong at maths
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well I got a B in AS level maths(was predicted 4 A's anyways).We've had three tests and I've got full marks.My maths teacher has trusted me and I am pushing myself to get 3A*s in my internal exams.I am a bit worried about Warwick and UCL.

ReputationRep:
    Well I got a B in AS level maths(was predicted 4 A's anyways).We've had three tests and I've got full marks.My maths teacher has trusted me and I am pushing myself to get 3A*s in my internal exams.I am a bit worried about Warwick and UCL.
    How do internal exams work? It is unfortunate that the B is in maths for the top unis as their economics courses tend to be quite mathsy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr-96)
    How do internal exams work? It is unfortunate that the B is in maths for the top unis as their economics courses tend to be quite mathsy

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well at our school,the grades range from U to A*(in the internal exams).If you get good grades in the internal exams,you are supposed to get good grades in your finals
    Still not losing hope
    PS I love maths to be honest

ReputationRep:
    Well at our school,the grades range from U to A*(in the internal exams).If you get good grades in the internal exams,you are supposed to get good grades in your finals
    Still not losing hope
    PS I love maths to be honest
    Oh, I think I understand now (was a little bit confused regarding the internal exams). Are they like mock exams?

I didn't mean to sound harsh in any way and I wouldn't want to discourage you. Seeing as you're doing so well in the tests etc, I suspect you will also do well in the final exams including maths. So apply to the universities that you want to as there is no point in going to a university that you are not happy with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hukdealz)
    so many cats out there do economics in the hope of one day becoming a 'city boy' investment banker.

reality: the majority of 'city boy' investment bankers are physics or maths graduates.
    or engineering because they like the problem solvers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr-96)
    Oh, I think I understand now (was a little bit confused regarding the internal exams). Are they like mock exams?

I didn't mean to sound harsh in any way and I wouldn't want to discourage you. Seeing as you're doing so well in the tests etc, I suspect you will also do well in the final exams including maths. So apply to the universities that you want to as there is no point in going to a university that you are not happy with.
    Yes they are similar to mock exams
    You aren't demoralizing me.
    Hopefully,I will.But seeing many people applying with more A's than me at Warwick/UCL,I don't see myself getting an offer.Still,shouldn't give up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmelinelu)
    or engineering because they like the problem solvers
    Or, as it has already been stated, the institution makes the biggest difference, not the actual degree you do when it comes to an industry like IB.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they are similar to mock exams
    You aren't demoralizing me.
    Hopefully,I will.But seeing many people applying with more A's than me at Warwick/UCL,I don't see myself getting an offer.Still,shouldn't give up!
    Im glad your grades are perfectly respectable and I think I saw somewhere that in 2012 1 in 3 got offers from Warwick for economics so its not as competitive as I previously thought do remember that people on tsr aren't representative of the average applicant. The best thing to do now is to focus on writing a killer PS
    Yes, even if I dont get the offers I want I won't give up, I'll take a gap year and re-apply! Never give up
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H0PEL3SS)
    Or, as it has already been stated, the institution makes the biggest difference, not the actual degree you do when it comes to an industry like IB.
    Actually, the more competitive degrees at e.g. Oxbridge and LSE get much better looks. Economics graduates have better chances than Geography or Social Policy graduates not necessarily because of their skillset but because firms know they are a lot smarter on average.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daltohn)
    Actually, the more competitive degrees at e.g. Oxbridge and LSE get much better looks. Economics graduates have better chances than Geography or Social Policy graduates not necessarily because of their skillset but because firms know they are a lot smarter on average.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Generally speaking you're right. I spoke to the head of the IB division at Goldman Sachs, and was told that as long as you didn't do a soft degree like film studies, any degree would be enough. But I think its not that the firms know that they're smarter, but that an Economics graduate would, most of the time, more easily adapt to the environment than say, a classics graduate during the application process.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone on here applied to economics and management or straight management?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.