Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I got the GCSE grades 5A* 5A but i got these results at a very bad state school where only 46% of students gained 5A*-C (it was much less than 40% in the previous years). The school was rated as "requiring improvement" in the year that I sat my GCSE's and very few students go on to do higher education let alone Medicine at Cambridge.

My parents were refugees and are illiterate and therefore we have a low family income and so I am free school meals. We also live in an area of high drug intake and high gun and knife crime and so higher education is very very rare. I share a very small bedroom with 2 of my siblings and don't have much space to revise. I also now have to catch 2 buses to sixth form and 2 buses back home every day and so I get hone quite late. I am also of an ethnic and religious minority where acceptance at Cambridge University is quite low.

My AS Results were:
    Chemistry: A
    Maths: A
    Biology: A
    Geography: A
    Avg: 95-96%

Do you think I would be considered to study Medicine at Cambridge? Especially because it has been a struggle getting these grades with so few resources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrwho361)
    Hi guys,

I got the GCSE grades 5A* 5A but i got these results at a very bad state school where only 46% of students gained 5A*-C (it was much less than 40% in the previous years). The school was rated as "requiring improvement" in the year that I sat my GCSE's and very few students go on to do higher education let alone Medicine at Cambridge.

My parents were refugees and are illiterate and therefore we have a low family income and so I am free school meals. We also live in an area of high drug intake and high gun and knife crime and so higher education is very very rare. I share a very small bedroom with 2 of my siblings and don't have much space to revise. I also now have to catch 2 buses to sixth form and 2 buses back home every day and so I get hone quite late. I am also of an ethnic and religious minority where acceptance at Cambridge University is quite low.

My AS Results were:

Do you think I would be considered to study Medicine at Cambridge? Especially because it has been a struggle getting these grades with so few resources.
    Yes, definitely worth applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    Yes, definitely worth applying.
    Thank you so much for the feedback

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrwho361)
    Hi guys,

My AS Results were:

That's pretty solid, do your A2 and get brilliant results (4A*s or 3A*s at the least). Work hard on your interview prep, and you have a good chance of getting in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugarcanepenguin)
    What about Imperial College? My friend it studying medicine there and says that it's super cool
    Let's put it this way - I have friends over there, and from what they tell me it seems like what they do in 8 weeks, we do in 3. It's pretty hectic in Cambridge, and the workload is overwhelming....

...totally worth it though, if you're into the subject. The course makes sure you turn into a walking encyclopedia at the end of your year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UrbanPapaya)
    That's pretty solid, do your A2 and get brilliant results (4A*s or 3A*s at the least). Work hard on your interview prep, and you have a good chance of getting in.
    Thank you!
    I submitted my ucas application earlier this month, do you think they will give me an interview? Or do they interview everyone? And if I smash my interview do you think I can get a conditional offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UrbanPapaya)
    Let's put it this way - I have friends over there, and from what they tell me it seems like what they do in 8 weeks, we do in 3. It's pretty hectic in Cambridge, and the workload is overwhelming....

...totally worth it though, if you're into the subject. The course makes sure you turn into a walking encyclopedia at the end of your year.
    Sounds great - does that mean you learn loads of stuff they don't learn over in London?

ReputationRep:
    Dare I ask a few things if you're still connected to TSR?
    Can you remember when you received your interview invitation to SE and share a bit about what the interview was like?
    Also, were you a graduate applying as an affiliated student?
    Do you know what made the difference - work experience, your degree, your A-level results, BMAT results etc. - and also whether you're happy at St. Edmund's?
    Last but not least, would you happen to know whether someone applying as an affiliated student, if not given an interview/offer, would be pooled to all colleges for the full 6-year course or only at mature colleges?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barrinalo)
    International applicant here,

I got an offer from St. Edmund's
    Can you remember when you received your interview invitation to SE and share a bit about what the interview was like?
    Do you know what made the difference - work experience, your degree, your A-level results, BMAT results etc. - and also whether you're happy at St. Edmund's?
    Last but not least, would you happen to know whether someone applying as an affiliated student, if not given an interview/offer, would be pooled to all colleges for the full 6-year course or only at mature colleges?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HELIMERE)
    Hi,

I dont remembr when i received my interview invitation, but was interviewed overseas so that was around late october for me?

I am a mature student and I honestly dont know what made the difference because there is no feedback about the interview etc.

Im quite satisfied with st edmunds, but they do tend to have a very small intake, so if you want more fellow medics in your college st eds is not that good.

I cant really answer you other questions as i think they apply to graduate students

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barrinalo)
    Hi,

I dont remembr when i received my interview invitation, but was interviewed overseas so that was around late october for me?

I am a mature student and I honestly dont know what made the difference because there is no feedback about the interview etc.

Im quite satisfied with st edmunds, but they do tend to have a very small intake, so if you want more fellow medics in your college st eds is not that good.

I cant really answer you other questions as i think they apply to graduate students
    Thanks for the prompt reply: I'm aware of the small intake but am hoping there are ways and means of making friends with medics in other colleges with whom one takes classes, as well of course as getting to know people doing other courses which should be good for keeping a balanced approach to life and studies?
    Finally, If you had to estimate the average age of fellow-students would it be nearer 25 or 30? Promise I won't keep up a barrage of questions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HELIMERE)
    Thanks for the prompt reply: I'm aware of the small intake but am hoping there are ways and means of making friends with medics in other colleges with whom one takes classes, as well of course as getting to know people doing other courses which should be good for keeping a balanced approach to life and studies?
    Finally, If you had to estimate the average age of fellow-students would it be nearer 25 or 30? Promise I won't keep up a barrage of questions!
    Definitely you can make friends outside of college and in other courses. Here is a link to the st edmund's website for information on demorgraphics.
    http://www.st-edmunds.cam.ac.uk/fres...mund%E2%80%99s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choyster54)
    4 weeks total in 3 hospitals. Just in case you're interested :
    A) write cover letter and CV
    B) pick a hospital department
    C) send to all consultants (copy and pste names via excel)
    D) if no place then repeat at another department
    E) if still nothing then repeat at another hospital
    Many will throw them in the bin (they are v busy ofc), but hopefully you will reach a few that willbread them through and maybe one will say yes
    Thanks for the advice.
    xoxoxo

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am currently in year 12 and I am doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths, and Religious Studies at AD level. I got 12 A* and 2 A's in my GCSE's. In terms of work experience, I have only done 2 weeks of shadowing a doctor. What else should I do to make my application strong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aprocrastinator)
    Got an offer at Downing! I'm so shocked omg!
    Did you first get the offer by email or post ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlloSlayer)
    A*A*A offer from Downing College

Did you get it by email or post first?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCMed96)
    Rejection by Downing, Cheers guys. Just need some thumbs up to cheer me up now ....
    Anyone firming Imperial?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lfcrules)
    You can ask for email, email usually comes first

ReputationRep:
    I intend to do a gap year next year and apply to cambridge at the same time since I didn't apply for it this year. Please could some kind sir/madam here tell me if A2 UMS is just as important as it was for AS. For example, would getting 3A*s be sufficient, or must they be really high A*s?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazmasetro)
    I'm going to be a cambridge medicine fresher this october. I had 93% UMS average at your point in time, so don't worry.
    what were your GCSEs and work experience like? =)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.