Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moniii16081997)
    I don't think you can do that, that only works when you differentiate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It becomes

\dfrac{2}{2\cos^2y}

Which you then make:

\dfrac{1}{\cos^2y} = \sec^2y

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Use the double angle formula for cos2y
    can someone help me with june 13 replacement paper. Q4b ? i understand what they done in the mark scheme, but why couldn't i have taken out (10,000)^1/3 as this would lead me to still getting x=0.81 and that is still valid ? as x is less than 8/9? i tried this way and multiplied (10,000)^1/3 at end to the expansion too but dont get the same answer, get something like 24... ? pls can someone help, this is driving me crazy! many thanks. Do you mind helping me out pls

ReputationRep:
    How do you do part aName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434195501.704682.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  110.3 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone June 2006?
    Question 3b I know u use volume of revolution formula. I also get u use 1/2(1-cos2A) formla for sin^2(x/2) however I am not sure what happens to the x/2 when they write it out again it just disappears from the working out Not sure why that is ???

https://a086a5a2f39bda93734c56a63fab...%20Edexcel.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths degree)
    can someone help me with june 13 replacement paper. Q4b ? i understand what they done in the mark scheme, but why couldn't i have taken out (10,000)^1/3 as this would lead me to still getting x=0.81 and that is still valid ? as x is less than 8/9? i tried this way and multiplied (10,000)^1/3 at end to the expansion too but dont get the same answer, get something like 24... ? pls can someone help, this is driving me crazy! many thanks. Do you mind helping me out pls
    x = 0.81? If you take out 1000^(1/3) from 7100^(1/3) you get 7.1^(1/3) and so set 8 - 9x = 7.1, I'm not quite sure what you did.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to integrate cos^2 (y) you use the formula cos2y=2cos^2 (y) -1 which then becomes 1/2 + 1/2cos2y =cos^2 (y) and then you integrate that to get 1/2(x) + 1/4sin(2x) +c

ReputationRep:
    For vectors when finding an angle do we use the numbers in radians or in degrees?

Does it matter for c4 what mode the calculator is in?

ReputationRep:
    can anyone help me with this question pleaaaassee? I don't get how they got it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~amethyst~)
    For vectors when finding an angle do we use the numbers in radians or in degrees?

Yes, all the mark schemes I have looked at have always stated that the angle must be in degrees.

ReputationRep:
    I am aware that Ln |x| differentiates to 1/x, however when you have equations involving for example 48/x or 48/x^2 can I simply convert it to 48x^-1 and 48^x-2?

That would integrate to 48Ln |x| but then would the other integrate to -48^-1?

ReputationRep:
    Do u guys think this paper will be of the same standard of previous papers, which are relatively easy, or will it be different like the C3 exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raypalmer)
    Do u guys think this paper will be of the same standard of previous papers, which are relatively easy, or will it be different like the C3 exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Feeling a standard paper tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wahid1)
    Feeling a standard paper tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm, c3 caught me by surprise, most of the past papers were decent

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    C4 C4 C4.......
    Spoiler:
    Show
    My expectation; a dirty or a piss easy paper, nothing in-between!

ReputationRep:
    x = 0.81? If you take out 1000^(1/3) from 7100^(1/3) you get 7.1^(1/3) and so set 8 - 9x = 7.1, I'm not quite sure what you did.
    i took out (10,000)^1/3 so i would set 8-9x = 0.71 to get x=0.81 ? why cant you do it this way ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moniii16081997)
    How do you do part aName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434195501.704682.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  110.3 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww_0v8wXC4A

Starts from the regular formula for a cone (as proved in the video just fyi)

Basically, in this case the radius is 'h' because if you split the triangle up the middle you end up with two triangles, that each have two 45 degree angles. (which are isosceles) and one 90 degree angle. because there are isosceles, if the height in 'h' then the base is also 'h' (not the hypotenuse)

I wish i could attach a photo but my phone is fudged up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths degree)
    i took out (10,000)^1/3 so i would set 8-9x = 0.71 to get x=0.81 ? why cant you do it this way ?
    Sorry, must have misread
    I think that it might because these expansions are more accurate with less terms for smaller values of x
    When you have something like 0.81 which isn't too far from the upper limit 8/9, by just using the first few terms of the series you don't get a very good estimate; whereas if you use a smaller x, after a few terms the terms quickly become very small so your estimate isn't too far from the actual value.

ReputationRep:
    Where can i find hard c4 papers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, must have misread
    I think that it might because these expansions are more accurate with less terms for smaller values of x
    When you have something like 0.81 which isn't too far from the upper limit 8/9, by just using the first few terms of the series you don't get a very good estimate; whereas if you use a smaller x, after a few terms the terms quickly become very small so your estimate isn't too far from the actual value.
    oh okay. thank you very much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~amethyst~)

Degrees

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.