Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KoalaMed)
    I try and convince myself things like that too... but then I still check my emails a million times in 5 minutes and feel disappointed. My brain knows I'm trying to trick it and it's not playing the game!
    Oh yeah it's not working :P

I ran out of data on my phone though, so at least I physically can't check every single second of the day :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puddleduck)
    But Notts might send in the morning...... ughhh >_< I'm trying to convince myself that it'll be Monday so that if anything happens this week I'll be pleasantly surprised :P I know Notts have said cut offs will be released this week-- has anyone heard from George's about when they send out cut offs?
    I e-mailed SGUL a couple of days ago and they still haven't got back to me. I imagine they are swamped with e-mails right now.

... I don't think my poor heart can wait until Monday TBH. I guess it doesn't help that my 61 is right on the edge.

ReputationRep:
    For reference on required revision time, I spent 6-8 weeks around a full-time job. I studied Psychology as a degree and as a result had quite a lot of catch up in the S3 Section.
    Whilst I only scored an overall of 60 / 61 I felt I performed adequately in section 3 (57) despite having not done natural sciences in over three years.

If you're short on time for S3, or have a lot to cover like myself - just concentrate on chemistry. You can workout most the biology and physics mostly relies on the maths ability you'd need for the Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyKnight)
    I e-mailed SGUL a couple of days ago and they still haven't got back to me. I imagine they are swamped with e-mails right now.

... I don't think my poor heart can wait until Monday TBH. I guess it doesn't help that my 61 is right on the edge.
    Comfort yourself with the knowledge that 61 is better than 60, I suppose. Chin up! TBH once the cut offs are announced I'll just be freaking out about getting invitations to interview, and then freaking out about the interview, and then about offer/rejections...... I am not going to stop checking emails until I get offers/rejections from all 4 ><

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the borderline...58 so probably out of SGUL, but 60 calculated the Notts way. The thought that I could miss out by one point if they did raise it to 61 is the thing that's killing me.
    First gamsat, I smashed S1 and S2 (67 + 78 respectively), but on 44 on S3... so 6 short of minimum of 50. Second gamsat, again smashed S1 and S2 (68 + 75), but 46 on S3... so 4 points short.
    This gamsat, dropped points on S1 and S2 (61 + 66), but finally beat 50 on S3 with 53. If I was to miss out on interview by 1 point this time it might well kill me off.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the borderline...58 so probably out of SGUL, but 60 calculated the Notts way. The thought that I could miss out by one point if they did raise it to 61 is the thing that's killing me.
    First gamsat, I smashed S1 and S2 (67 + 78 respectively), but on 44 on S3... so 6 short of minimum of 50. Second gamsat, again smashed S1 and S2 (68 + 75), but 46 on S3... so 4 points short.
    This gamsat, dropped points on S1 and S2 (61 + 66), but finally beat 50 on S3 with 53. If I was to miss out on interview by 1 point this time it might well kill me off.
    Congrats on improving every time, your perseverance is amazing! I sat it for the first time in September and got S1: 60, S2: 69, but S3: 39.

Do you have any advice as you improved so much with S3? Feel like it's a bit of an uphill battle. Congrats again and I really hope your result gets you where you want to go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medscoolhopeful)
    Congrats on improving every time, your perseverance is amazing! I sat it for the first time in September and got S1: 60, S2: 69, but S3: 39.

Do you have any advice as you improved so much with S3? Feel like it's a bit of an uphill battle. Congrats again and I really hope your result gets you where you want to go
    Hey, my s3 went from 50 (sept 15) to 79 (march 16) and my advice would be a) data interpretation b) time management c) luck d) science! seriously, dont underestimate the power of exam technique

ReputationRep:
    Wow...puddleducks advice is probably the best to take, my score improvements were so small they are probably more down to different cohorts taking the exam than any real improvement.

The one thing I would say is keep going. Whether it's during your preparation, during the exam or whether you have to do it more than once. Just. Keep. Going.

That's basically what I did haha perseverance is key.

ReputationRep:
    Wow...puddleducks advice is probably the best to take, my score improvements were so small they are probably more down to different cohorts taking the exam than any real improvement.

The one thing I would say is keep going. Whether it's during your preparation, during the exam or whether you have to do it more than once. Just. Keep. Going.

That's basically what I did haha perseverance is key.
    Dont knock your own improvement! I put mine down to luck. x

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how st georges release the cut off's?
    Do they do it before interviews or do they just start giving interviews?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izzypetrie)
    Does anyone know how st georges release the cut off's?
    Do they do it before interviews or do they just start giving interviews?

Thanks
    I *think* they release cut offs first, like Notts. But nobody really knows... try not to stress x

ReputationRep:
    I *think* they release cut offs first, like Notts. But nobody really knows... try not to stress x
    Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Hey, my s3 went from 50 (sept 15) to 79 (march 16) and my advice would be a) data interpretation b) time management c) luck d) science! seriously, dont underestimate the power of exam technique
    Holy **** and I thought I did well jumping from 50 to 60! O_O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyKnight)

I'm also on 61 for SGUL calculation - we will just have to wait and see, but that score puts us in the 84th percentile this year, and from others' comments it looks like they generally interview the 80th and above. So maybe we're just safe ;p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsar101)
    I am begging to lord that this does not happen to anyone but what will you guys do if you don't get into medicine after a few UCAS application cycles?

I can't think of a career other than medicine but I do need a safety backup plan that I can follow if it does not work out :/

(Atm this is just a hypothetical scenario for me but one that is possible)
    I considered this a lot before I managed to get through on GAMSAT (although I'm aware the battle is far from over)
    I think you genuinely just have to pitch out and try work experience in other fields. There will be something else you enjoy, even closely related to medicine, that isn't medicine itself. I've always said to myself if I get to the 3rd UCAS cycle and still unsuccessful I would reconsider - but currently on my first, so a while yet!
    It's hard when you've got the medicine 'bug', though. You can't see yourself doing anything else. I think there would come a point though where money etc would become an issue enough to push you into another career.

ReputationRep:
    Last night I dreamed all night about the GAMSAT scores popping up in various scenarios. I was on a plane and people were comparing their results. All the people in my first aiding group had suddenly sat it and got 65+. My flat mates boyfriend even sat it and got 70, and he's a musician with no interest in medicine.

Tldr; going stir crazy, need cut off scores

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that's so impressive, congrats! I'm glad you guys are giving me faith that it's possible to improve significantly in S3.

Would you say looking at A-level past papers will help with data interpretation? I've been feeling a bit deflated recently to say the least, but I will definitely be taking your advice and hoping for the best in March - thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10LFC10)
    Any websites or practice booklets anyone found perticularly useful for section 1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Apart from Acer's own material, which is the best for S1 in my opinion (and of a similar difficulty), try googling 'free verbal reasoning practice'. Loads of stuff comes up. It's not all in similar format to the GAMSAT but it's testing similar skills e.g. skim reading, logic, identifying small pieces of information in large amounts of text.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10LFC10)
    Any websites or practice booklets anyone found perticularly useful for section 1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've heard from a few people that reading broadsheet papers, I mean skim reading them, helps a lot. Just practice skim reading quickly and picking up information

Good Luck x

ReputationRep:
    I am currently taking comfort in the fact that there are only 2 and a half working days left of this week ... and Notts said they would release cut offs this week... and they would never lie to us, right?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 27, 2017
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.