The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone doing Schizophrenia for PSYA4? Loopa.co.uk predicted Issues and debates surrounding the classification and diagnosis of schizophrenia (including reliability and validity) to come up. Therefore I made a revision guide to help anyone as it is a hard question! My teacher marked it at as 21/24 so if anyone wants to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfSgmp1vusU :smile:
Original post by l0nelynight
my teacher said it was likely to be formation, breakdown, sexual selection or culture for relationships, and then emphasised genes and hormones and evolutionary explanations both have never been asked before so there's a high likelihood one of them will come up too!

How do you structure your genes and hormones essay? I find this a weird essay because there's not really a theory or research to evaluate
Original post by SunDun111
so it is one?

Technically, although it's not an issue debate or approach, and therefore not technically and IDA, it can be used and is marked in the same way as AO3. I use it often!
Original post by A-LJLB
Technically, although it's not an issue debate or approach, and therefore not technically and IDA, it can be used and is marked in the same way as AO3. I use it often!

Oh so could i include two normal IDA points and one of the real world application studies and it should be fine?
Oh so could i include two normal IDA points and one of the real world application studies and it should be fine?

That'd be fine, I sometimes only include one and a real world application :smile:
wAGWAN!
Are you guys gonna learn all the essays or nah???
I'm only learning the predictions - top 2 likely essays so 6 for unit 3 and 4 for unit 4.
Do you think there's a chance they'll put an essay in which already came up as a 24 marker ?
Original post by annihilati0n
wAGWAN!
I'm only learning the predictions - top 2 likely essays so 6 for unit 3 and 4 for unit 4.
Do you think there's a chance they'll put an essay in which already came up as a 24 marker ?

just learn them all you've got time
Reply 967
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Does anyone know a better term or phrase to evaluate a sample that is bias, for example if the sample was only on heterosexual couples you cant generalize to homosexual couples, is there a better phrase to use?

you could say the theory/study is not representative? for example in gender one evaluation point is that a study only uses Male to Female individuals so as it excludes Female to Male the sample is not representative and the findings cannot be applied to them.
Original post by annihilati0n
wAGWAN!

Id definitely recommend doing more than the top 2
Original post by BethM98
Anyone have any question predictions for the unit 3 paper for eating behaviour, relationships and gender? :smile:

Eating - 100% neural mechanisms will come up. Chance of attitudes to food. Learn those 2 only. Don't bother with the others.

Relationships - 80% certain breakdown will come up. Chance of sexual selection.
Can someone tell me what loopa predicted for biological rhythms, aggression, and gender??
just learn them all you've got time

No point !!!! Waste of time, I predicted correctly last year and got 90% overall!! Should b fine if i f up, will average out to a B if only a few of my predictions come up.
Original post by Marli-Ruth
Quick question!
When the question says outline is that just AO1 or is it AO2/3 as well?

Just AO1 :smile: if it was outline and EVALUATE or DISCUSS then it would be asking you for AO2/3 too. Hope this helps x
Reply 973
Original post by dpka1
try using a whiteboard and writing everything you remember so far on a topic, when you cant remember anything else, look back at your notes and add anything you missed to the whiteboard. keep doing that until you remember everything! you could try writing small plans out with an outline of what you need to write?

that's actually such a good idea and i'll definitely try that! I think that might really work so thank you:smile::smile:
Reply 974
Damn what other IDA points did you use, ill let you know if they are IDA points, since this is a must in the exam if you dont have any you cant score a good grade.

here's a link to a page on loopa's website, the video is good but if you scroll down to the image that is honestly the most helpful thing as it explains all of the ida's! Hope this helps:smile:

http://www.loopa.co.uk/aqa-psychology-level-issues-debates-approaches/
Reply 975
Original post by ellawhite4686
Yeah i understand that, just making sure people realise you can go down either route. i evaluate studies and include IDA's and have been consistently getting A/A*'s so I'm going to stick with that but you stick with yours if it works for you!

You're right. It gets credit as long as you link it to the theory. For example if you criticise a research which supports a theory and say for instant that it lacks ecological validity as the setting was artificial then you MUST explain how this undermines the theory! You're unlikely to get marks for evaluating the studies if you're not explicit as to how it affects the theory :wink:
Original post by bmarek
You're right. It gets credit as long as you link it to the theory. For example if you criticise a research which supports a theory and say for instant that it lacks ecological validity as the setting was artificial then you MUST explain how this undermines the theory! You're unlikely to get marks for evaluating the studies if you're not explicit as to how it affects the theory :wink:

This is exactly why we were told to be cautious and not include it unless struggling, as time and time again examiners reports and feedback say individuals do not link it effectively to the theory
I'm doing the unit 3 exam on the 8th and I am making essay plans for all the topics. But I don't know what to do once I've made them (unless I write an essay). What is everyone else doing with their essay plans? Memorising?
Original post by A-LJLB
Guys, real world application IS IDA, or at least is classed in the same AO3 category and marked the same

Where does it say its marked the same? Its definitely not one of the GRENADE, acrnomys so i dont know how it would be classed as an ida point
Where does it say its marked the same? Its definitely not one of the GRENADE, acrnomys so i dont know how it would be classed as an ida point

As I said, technically it's not. But it is marked the same as an AO3 point.

Latest

Trending

Trending