The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Pretty much accurate for my English Literature exam that I had today. For "An Inspector Calls" there was 2 questions, the one I chose was about the change in Sheila and Gerald's relationship and Of Mice and Men was about Lennies build up to death (extract) and then about the American Dream shown through different characters.
Do you know what is predicted to come up in the English Literature conflict poetry on Friday?
Original post by Lujanrosales
Did anyone do an inspector calls and of mice and men and if so which question did you chose from an inspector calls and what did you wrote about it?

Me :smile:
Sheila and Gerald: went on about this for way too long, appears to be good, stage directions such as where they are seated, how the inspector removes the 'rose tinted glasses' and reveals their issues, staring at the ring, giving ring back blah blah blah
OMAM: terrible, spent too long on AIC. For the extract I made 3 points - light imagery, the irony of lennie saying "Go on", the footsteps/sounds the people were making getting louder. And then I had like 5 mins for section b so I wrote like 1 tiny paragraph on Candy
Original post by s_ovo
Anyone have any predictions for the AQA Relationships poetry exam 2016 ??

From this tiny thread:

Original post by teacher's pet
2015 - Manhunt - damaged relationships
OR Sister Maude - issues of trust

2014 - Ghazal - use of form and structure to present ideas
OR The Farmer's Bride - effect of endings

2013 - Sonnet 116 - ideas about love
OR Born Yesterday - hopes and wishes

Jan13- Hour - ideas about time
OR The Farmer's Bride - hopes and wishes

2012 - Quickdraw - strong feelings about another person
OR Praise Song for My Mother - language to present relationships

Poems that haven't come up:

In Paris with You, Brothers, Harmonium, Sonnet 43, To His Coy Mistress, Nettles, Born Yesterday.

I seem to remember that only IPWY, THCM, and Brothers are the only three that haven't shown up at all (including pre-2012), - I think the others listed might be ones that showed on mocks/redo papers/specimen papers. I think it's safe to assume The Farmer's Bride won't be up there for the third time (and I hate it so I'm very thankful), and I'm personally hoping we get a question on In Paris With You because that's the only one I can actually remember notes on.
For OMAM b I did about how the title foreshadows failure of the dreams of the characters due to it being based on Robert's poem about the field mouse etc etc and backed it up with crooks viewpoint and what he says to Lennie then I did a really long para on how dreams at the time were often forgotten about and people gave up due to the depression caused by the Wall Street crash and how this is shown through Curley wanting to be a boxer and is now only known as 'the boss' son' and about how you see he's still holding on to boxing dream by violence and how he feels insecure about losing the dream and so wants to dominate and distinguish himself from the other workers through 'High heeled boots' and how this alternatively reflects how he wouldn't have achieved the boxing dream anyway due to height further proven by 'thin young man' etc etc. Only did these 2 paras for part b...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi All :smile:

I did OMAM and for Part B, I close George and Lennie and Crooks

I said George and Lennie won't reach their dream due to the Dust Bowl, high competition between migrant workers and Lennie's disability

For Crooks I said he just wants to be friends, but because of racism he gets constant threats and can't talk to others. He is also injured and people with disabilities were treated unfairly
DO YOU AGREE?

I don't understand how someone with a poor standard of English can be able enough to articulate their ideas by way of an essay; isn't that just too much? People who have a terrible writing style can't get an A*, surely?
Original post by Jamie Vardy
DO YOU AGREE?

I don't understand how someone with a poor standard of English can be able enough to articulate their ideas by way of an essay; isn't that just too much? People who have a terrible writing style can't get an A*, surely?

If by 'terrible' you mean 'incomprehensible', then sure. But I think it also boils down to how little time we're given - I can be wonderfully articulate when I don't want to light my hand on fire due to how cramped it is.

Maybe if we were given longer it'd be less of 'how much can you spit out that sounds vaguely right but isn't filled with great vocab' and more of an actual essay.
I'm glad no more English Literature after poetry
38 a C? That's a lie it can't be that's more that half that would be a B
Original post by s_ovo
Anyone have any predictions for the AQA Relationships poetry exam 2016 ??

I feel like in Paris with you is coming up because there is a lot to talk about
Reply 970
Original post by AKDbbb
i

WROTE THE SAME EXACT THING 😂😂😂 many people in my school wrote that

Ah great! All my friends were writing about the hills and the fact it was in a valley, showing shadows and darkness and stuff and I panicked!😂
Reply 971
does anyone have any predictions for the relationships cluster? hate poetry...
Original post by Anygy
I picked the first question, and messed up. It asked for two women, but I misread and only analysed one.... ugh... :colonhash: Wonder how many marks I'll lose. That being said, I did go into quite a lot of detail with Abigail, so I'm hoping I'll still get SOME.

You should be fine. My friend analysed three but as long as you've got detailed, strong points with good interpretations you should be fine :smile:
if anybody did The Woman In Black, what did you write for the supernatural question?
Reply 974
Original post by surina16
Me :smile:
Sheila and Gerald: went on about this for way too long, appears to be good, stage directions such as where they are seated, how the inspector removes the 'rose tinted glasses' and reveals their issues, staring at the ring, giving ring back blah blah blah
OMAM: terrible, spent too long on AIC. For the extract I made 3 points - light imagery, the irony of lennie saying "Go on", the footsteps/sounds the people were making getting louder. And then I had like 5 mins for section b so I wrote like 1 tiny paragraph on Candy

I did the same, I done like 2 paragraphs...one on george&lennie and one on candy and I didn't even use quotations in the candy one:frown: do you reckon it will affect the grade a lot?
Original post by GCSElyfe
Well that was awful:/

i feel you
To cut a long story short- the questions for WIB and TKAM were EASY! Unfortunately, I appeared to forget what a PEEL structure was, and I just wrote a bunch of gibberish. Thankfully...

everyone in my school seemed to forget how to write a PEEL structure.

Anyone else in the same boat as me and a bunch of my schoolmates?
Omg im screwed because i just talked aboyt the old vs the young generation and how some characters change and some dont and then i analyzed mr birling and how he doesnt change throut the play and then sheila how she changes but the in the end i didnt write how theres conflict because of different opinions i forgot so basically i jist talked about how some change and how amd some dont im gonna get 0 marks omg
guys im so scared

I'm predicted an A/A* from my school but today when I sat my exam I literally panicked and my time management was completely bad And I forgot to write a conclusion

Idk whether I can achieve an A if I didn't finish my work (I took the aqa paper today)

I want to do Eng Lit for A levels as well, do you think I can achieve an A (I got band 5 in my controlled assessment and I still have the poetry cluster exam left)
Original post by Lujanrosales
Omg im screwed because i just talked aboyt the old vs the young generation and how some characters change and some dont and then i analyzed mr birling and how he doesnt change throut the play and then sheila how she changes but the in the end i didnt write how theres conflict because of different opinions i forgot so basically i jist talked about how some change and how amd some dont im gonna get 0 marks omg

You won't get 0 marks, even if it felt like you didn't address the question as well as you would have liked. I'm sure you managed to pick out relevant quotes, show you can analyse them, perhaps linked to priestleys ideas? This will get you marks, plus good spag earns you marks. Then remember that you get marks for omam, marks for poetry, marks for controlled assessment.. I think you get the idea haha! Just don't worry, you haven't failed this GCSE, and you'll never know what you got until results day :smile: hope I helped, I know what it's like to feel bad after an exam

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending