Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    What is it to u, so racist

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aliens, I tell you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tau)
    I agree it's unnecessary, it was to highlight that it was an example of the general case of  \int f'(x)e^{f(x)}\ dx = e^{f(x)} +c .
    Yeah, u = x^2 or u =x^2/2 does the best job to highlight that, not u = -x^2/2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Yeah, u = x^2 or u =x^2/2 does the best job to highlight that, not u = -x^2/2.
    Sorry Zacken I would have actually used  u = x^2/2 if I was doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tau)
    Sorry Zacken I would have actually used  u = x^2/2 if I was doing it.
    DNt say sorry to him hes just being salty cause he cant deal with - signs

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ukmt-resources.org.uk/SMC12.html

Q17 on the link. The question references 'four quarter circles' but I can't spot any in the diagram! Am I missing something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palette)
    http://www.ukmt-resources.org.uk/SMC12.html

Q17 on the link. The question references 'four quarter circles' but I can't spot any in the diagram! Am I missing something?
    Says they are of radius 1, so I assume if you split the diagram into 4 equal parts, you will have your 4 quarter-circles. One such way is to draw 2 diagonals across the circle and you will have split it into 4 quarter circles of radius 1.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  84.2 KB
    I get that time to get to the meeting point will be the same for both cars but I honestly can't get any further than that. Please help

ReputationRep:
    How do I sketch the graph  y=sin(5x) +\frac{3}{10}xsin(5x) between 0 and pi? I know I could get the points where the graph crosses the x axis, but how would I know that the amplitude of the graph increases as x increases?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    How do I sketch the graph  y=sin(5x) +\frac{3}{10}xsin(5x) between 0 and pi? I know I could get the points where the graph crosses the x axis, but how would I know that the amplitude of the graph increases as x increases?

Factor out the sin(5x) and since 1+0.3x>0 for x>0 then sin(5x) +\frac{3}{10}xsin(5x)> sin(5x) for x>0 so the amplitude is increasing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solC)
    Factor out the sin(5x) and since 1+0.3x>0 for x>0 then sin(5x) +\frac{3}{10}xsin(5x)> sin(5x) for x>0 so the amplitude is increasing.
    I don't understand on the second line how LHS>RHS means the amplitude is increasing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    I don't understand on the second line how LHS>RHS means the amplitude is increasing.
    Well if sin(5x)=1 then sin(5x) +\frac{3}{10}xsin(5x) = 1+\frac{3}{10}x so as x gets larger, the peak also gets larger whenever sin(5x)=1 since 1+\frac{3}{10}x is always increasing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solC)
    Well if sin(5x)=1 then sin(5x) +\frac{3}{10}xsin(5x) = 1+\frac{3}{10}x so as x gets larger, the peak also gets larger whenever sin(5x)=1 since 1+\frac{3}{10} is always increasing
    Okay, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain this fp2 question 15 ex 3hName:  Screenshot_20161015-204550.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  198.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    Can someone also explain why for part b when x=4 the equation =2Attachment 587012587014
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youreanutter)
    Can someone explain this fp2 question 15 ex 3hName:  Screenshot_20161015-204550.jpg
    For this one I think it's easiest if you let z=2(cos(\theta)+isin(\theta)), as it makes it easier to see what k is.

ReputationRep:
    Let z=2e^ix
    Falls right out

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solC)
    For this one I think it's easiest if you let z=2(cos(\theta)+isin(\theta)), as it makes it easier to see what k is.
    Howcomes u are allowed to jist let z be what u want and how did u no to do that and what wud i do next still confused sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medhelp)
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  84.2 KB
    I get that time to get to the meeting point will be the same for both cars but I honestly can't get any further than that. Please help
    Please post the image the right way round I know iT looks right when you upload it though

ReputationRep:
    Howcomes u are allowed to jist let z be what u want and how did u no to do that and what wud i do next still confused sorry
    Well since we know the points are on the circle |z|=2 the general point on that circle is z=2(cos(\theta)+isin(\theta)). Using the exponential form works too as Physicsmaths said

Let z=2(cos(\theta)+isin(\theta))
    \Rightarrow w=2(cos\theta+isin\theta) +\frac{4}{2(cos(\theta)+isin(\th  eta))}
    \Rightarrow  w=2(cos\theta+isin\theta) +\frac{2(cos\theta-isin\theta)}{\cos^2\ + \sin^2\theta}
    \Rightarrow  w=4cos\theta
    And the range of this is -4 \leq \theta \leq 4 so K is 4

ReputationRep:
    It can be done with a little rearranging, using  |z|^2 = zz^*

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read here first

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.