The Current Year 12 thread 2016-2017

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J0333)
    Ah I bet! Can I ask a question because I really don't wanna start a new chat just for this tbh? Are unis lenient with a levels linking to the courses, because I have a few different ideas of uni courses but I'm not sure I'll be able to do them as my a levels don't really compliment the subject? For example do you need biology to do nursing? 😳

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think unis are pretty lenient and I think you do need biology for nursing, but your options are pretty open so I wouldn't worry about it 😊

ReputationRep:
    Greatttt thank ya!!biology is defo my fave ATM chemistry is a bit of a challenge and psychology is quite good!!!hbu?
    (Original post by itslaurenx)
    Ooohhh!! How are you finding them?:h:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fractite)
    It honestly depends on what the subject is compared to what uni course you wanna do. And I think you do need biology for nursing.
    Okay thank you! I'm struggling to find subject-related jobs that I want & I'm struggling with the motivation of it too! My as levels are geography, media and English lit and Lang πŸ˜–

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxfsxh)
    I think unis are pretty lenient and I think you do need biology for nursing, but your options are pretty open so I wouldn't worry about it 😊
    Thank you! Despite getting all passable grades, I was slightly disappointed with a couple of my GCSE grades so I'm going into panic mode trying to be well revised and have a plan for the next step & it's not going well😳😩

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J0333)
    Thank you! Despite getting all passable grades, I was slightly disappointed with a couple of my GCSE grades so I'm going into panic mode trying to be well revised and have a plan for the next step & it's not going well😳😩
    Same here with the trying to be well revised; admittedly I did do quite well at GCSE but a lot of my subjects were not thoroughly revised, so I definitely want to stay on top of all my work this year. Try not to panic too much yet though; its still early stages

ReputationRep:
    Same here with the trying to be well revised; admittedly I did do quite well at GCSE but a lot of my subjects were not thoroughly revised, so I definitely want to stay on top of all my work this year. Try not to panic too much yet though; its still early stages
    Thank you!! Yeah it's still early days, I'll see how it goes!☺️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J0333)
    Thank you!! Yeah it's still early days, I'll see how it goes!☺️
    To be honest, I should really be taking my own advice rather than giving it to you :lol:

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I should really be taking my own advice rather than giving it to you :lol:
    With those grades you should quit sixth form and become a tutor!!! πŸ˜‚

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J0333)
    With those grades you should quit sixth form and become a tutor!!! πŸ˜‚
    I'm not that smart, trust me πŸ˜‚ Thanks though πŸ˜‚

ReputationRep:
    I'm not that smart, trust me πŸ˜‚ Thanks though πŸ˜‚
    Hmm, don't doubt yourself! You must be like top 5% of the country in intelligence!πŸ˜ƒ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J0333)
    Hmm, don't doubt yourself! You must be like top 5% of the country in intelligence!πŸ˜ƒ
    Aw thank you, but no, definitely not the top 5%; maybe around 25% perhaps

ReputationRep:
    Aw thank you, but no, definitely not the top 5%; maybe around 25% perhaps
    A*s in so many subjects? I got none & only 1 A, the rest were Bs & Cs 😩😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J0333)
    A*s in so many subjects? I got none & only 1 A, the rest were Bs & Cs 😩😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay, so maybe I'm a bit smart but Bs and Cs are far from bad though! And well done for the A!! The way I see it, if you put in all your effort, then you can't ask for better grades because that's your capability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColossalAtom)
    Welcome to the official Year 12 Thread! (2016-2017) :bigsmile::borat::bunny::clap2::dance::elefant::excited:

*grabs an old school microphone descending from the ceiling*

Students! We're going to embark on a journey like we have never experienced! The first year of the A-levels :work:! The jump may seem big to some of you from the GCSEs that we did, but show no fear! Fence with them, en garde and riposte! :fight:

Now time to tell us who you are. :hello:

- Introduce yourself
    - What are your hobbies and interests?
    - What subjects are you planning to take?
    - Your favourite subject(s)?
    - Your ideal future occupation? :smartass:

Future Oxbridge applicants:

Cambridge - ColossalAtom, CyberJake, Mahrez, emi.hopkins, TSlayerr, enidblytonlife, MezmorisedPotato, CloakedSpartan, metellaest, drapplepilot, Enigmatically, emmald583, hxfsxh, DamnDaniel2, Banana00

Oxford - kennethdcharles

(Let me know if one of these is your trajectory, then I'll add you there. Also feel free to recommend some I haven't added on yet)

Aspiring medical doctor(s): ColossalAtom, LDS16, drapplepilot, nisha.sri, Fractite, snoamdaila, abbi.rebecca, starstudent7, MezmorisedPotato, homeland.lsw, Elliwhi

Aspiring lawyer(s): LieutenantJ, cherryblossoming, lonyeka, sahil19, Juedjegfewo, hxfsxh

Aspiring banker(s): AdeptDz, DamnDaniel2

Aspiring physicist(s): kennethdcharles

Aspiring engineer(s): Mahrez, sfairy27, Chemgawd99, ElMcDonald, enidblytonlife

Aspiring dentist(s): icy_typhoon, sulaimanali

Aspiring teacher(s): lozza_X, amybmth, Jazzy_j_, NiamhM1801, CharmingCat, AlevelBiologist

Aspiring computer developer(s): Vyres, shirleydongj, CyberJake, Lelanor, Waveyalex, CloakedSpartan

Aspiring veterinarian(s): Edosawr

Aspiring actor(s)/actresses(s): sulaimanali

Some bits of this was stolen from JTran38 year 11 thread.

I'm always continuously editing.
    Hi!! :ciao:

I'm Kirsty and I'm from the South West!

I'm really sporty and do triathlons and anything else that I have time for!!

I am taking Geography Maths Biology and Chemistry.

My favourite subjects are Geography and Maths.

My future occupation: Geographer, Police Officer or Elite Athlete! (Not yet decided, I'll see how I go!!)

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so maybe I'm a bit smart but Bs and Cs are far from bad though! And well done for the A!! The way I see it, if you put in all your effort, then you can't ask for better grades because that's your capability.
    Thank you, this made me happy! It's so tough to be the best you personally can be and be proud of that in such a competitive world! I am happy with most of my grades!😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J0333)
    Thank you, this made me happy! It's so tough to be the best you personally can be and be proud of that in such a competitive world! I am happy with most of my grades!😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're so right when you talk about the competitive world- I go to a grammar school whereby everyone is pretty much expected to get 10 decent passes at GCSE, As,Bs and A*s at A-Level, and then go to a Russel Group uni. Obviously there are no complaints because one would not go to a grammar school unless they desired to endure such an education, but there is so much competition between people, where there really shouldn't be. For example, if someone got 10A*s at GCSE, and they heard that someone else also got the same, they would, of course, be happy for them, but there's that mindset like "damn, I should have gotten better than them". That's why I prefer to just be satisfied with what I do because I put in that much effort so there's no point in being gloomy about grades I couldn't actually achieve. I mean I got an A in Biology, but I had been absolutely certain that it could not have been any higher than a B.

PS:Pardon the essay :lol:

I think I'll be finished with AS Biology content before October hits. How's everyone finding year 12 so far?

ReputationRep:
    You're so right when you talk about the competitive world- I go to a grammar school whereby everyone is pretty much expected to get 10 decent passes at GCSE, As,Bs and A*s at A-Level, and then go to a Russel Group uni. Obviously there are no complaints because one would not go to a grammar school unless they desired to endure such an education, but there is so much competition between people, where there really shouldn't be. For example, if someone got 10A*s at GCSE, and they heard that someone else also got the same, they would, of course, be happy for them, but there's that mindset like "damn, I should have gotten better than them". That's why I prefer to just be satisfied with what I do because I put in that much effort so there's no point in being gloomy about grades I couldn't actually achieve. I mean I got an A in Biology, but I had been absolutely certain that it could not have been any higher than a B.

PS:Pardon the essay :lol:
    PreachπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ ‘πŸΌ love this! Be proud of yourself, because if only effort was shown instead of natural ability, the world would have such a different outlookπŸ˜ƒ

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A sister with 15A*'a at GCSE, 3A*'s an A and a B at A-Level, and then me. 3 A's, 2 B's, 3 C's and a D at GCSE....and only doing 3 A-Levels so she's going to be better than me still. Hard not to feel awful about myself when I don't know of anybody else with that many A*'s at GCSE!! 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kxjzh)
    A sister with 15A*'a at GCSE, 3A*'s an A and a B at A-Level, and then me. 3 A's, 2 B's, 3 C's and a D at GCSE....and only doing 3 A-Levels so she's going to be better than me still. Hard not to feel awful about myself when I don't know of anybody else with that many A*'s at GCSE!! 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A-levels are a fresh start. Use that to your advantage :-)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.