The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Hi, I want to do an extended project on depression, I was wondering if you could tell me what you specifically looked at? Did you do primary research?
hey! im really wanting to do my epq on german as well! I am going over to Germany at the beginning of September for work experience to work in a primary school, and so my epq tutor has suggested doing it on how they learn english, which sounds really interesting and fun, but I don't know if I'll be able to learn enough about how they learn english. Please if anyone has any ideas!! :smile: I also study German, Psychology and English Literature, Peach.Plum.Pear!! but my 4th subject is theatre studies which i'm probably dropping next year.
Hi, just taken up EPQ could any clever young fellow think of a good topic for me to do it on. It needs to be Sport and business combined. Rep is at steak.
Have you seen this A* project? May give an idea of what a really good essay looks like; mind, this was years ago, so the competition may be higher this year as more and more people get involved.
harcoreage
Hi, just taken up EPQ could any clever young fellow think of a good topic for me to do it on. It needs to be Sport and business combined. Rep is at steak.

I'd say "Why football is a multi-billion business", or something like that.. or "Why footballers get a better pay than you", or "Sport - a serious business".
DarkEnvy
I have a topic of my choice, but I need ideas for presentation. It would be displayed in a hall and I'd have to discuss it, but since my topic is on phobias, I was wondering what sort of presentation should I include.

You could bring in a spider and see how many people are scared of it, then discuss why.:biggrin:
Reply 966
For my presentation I just did a powerpoint with slides such as "why I chose the project", "what I learned", "what I'd do differently" etc. I got fullmarks. That's all you need to do really. One of my friends had prepared queue cards and written a whole speech with a detailed powerpoint and he got 8/9 - the same as a guy who wrote his presentation during break.
Reply 967
Elliotgc
For my presentation I just did a powerpoint with slides such as "why I chose the project", "what I learned", "what I'd do differently" etc. I got fullmarks. That's all you need to do really. One of my friends had prepared queue cards and written a whole speech with a detailed powerpoint and he got 8/9 - the same as a guy who wrote his presentation during break.

Hey, what is your EPQ about?
I assume you are predicted to get full marks, how did you conduct the literature review? I'm so stuck at that stage!

cheers
Reply 968
Jhyzone
Hey, what is your EPQ about?
I assume you are predicted to get full marks, how did you conduct the literature review? I'm so stuck at that stage!
cheers

Ah well the presentation was out of 9 and my teacher showed me the grid for it and he gave me full marks on every section. I don't know what I got in the end for the whole project, but I know that for the first draft I was on 34/54 or something and that was without having included the project log or project proposal form, and without having done the presentation.

My project was entitled "Why the part played by the 36th Ulster Division in the Battle of the Somme is such an integral part of the mythology of Ulster's Protestant community." My great great uncle was in the 36th Ulster Division on the Battle of the Somme and he died on the first day, so I wanted to find out more about it.

Yeah I remember being stuck on that for ages. I listed about ten of the books I'd read and then described what the book was about, and why it was credible. I also included a quotation from the book, to show what it was like and to back up my points.

If you want any more help, send me a PM.
I'm doing the EPQ next year (Yr 12) and I was just wondering, theoretically, if one didn't get a great grade first time round could they do another one? Or would that be worthless/a waste of time?
I know a lot of people say to do your project on something you haven't studied but related to it, if I were to do a project on the unification of germany so 1871 but study for a level from the 1900s+ would that be seperate enough to make it worthwhile?
Researching this is easy enough via books internet etc of course..would a detailed description of the theory be enough? (AQA) I presume not, so in terms of an essay, what kind of questions could I ask?

Any ideas greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 972
We have been given access to Leeds Univeristy Library for our EPQ - perhaps you could enquire about that...
The main thing that springs to mind is how well MO theory explains chemical behaviour and it's advantages and disadvantages compared to other explanations. Are there any problems with it as a theory, or any molecules where it doesn't work as well?
Organ
We have been given access to Leeds Univeristy Library for our EPQ - perhaps you could enquire about that...

Hmm..Im in gloucestershire whicjh I presume wont have very much on MO Theory? as it doesnt do chemistry..any ideas on resources? :biggrin:
Preasure
The main thing that springs to mind is how well MO theory explains chemical behaviour and it's advantages and disadvantages compared to other explanations. Are there any problems with it as a theory, or any molecules where it doesn't work as well?

What other theories are there that I could use please? :smile:
Mostly valance bond theory - based around electrons being localised between atoms in a bond. The two start to agree and overlap more as you go deeper into the topics but at the level you'll be looking at they're different enough for a comparison.

Valance theory can predict some things better than MO theory too, so it's a good topic for an essay.
I'm may be starting the EPQ next year when i go into Year 12. Right now, i'm quite interested in the Law.
So, just wondered,which if any of these topics seem suitable.

'Are judges subconsciously influenced by a defendant's race'

' Can convicts ever truly reform & repent '

'Are rules & regulations inadvertently encouraging crime'

'Are we in need of consistent international laws

The legal system is severely flawed'

'Why are the wealthy immune to facing the repercussions of their actions'

These are only rough ideas.

Any help is appreciated :smile:
I'm thinking of doing it about how China restricts media/internet etc :smile: Is this a good topic, do you think?

Btw I want to study Japanese/Korean at uni.
Hey Guys

I have signed up to do the Extended Project.

For those of you who have recently started, what are you basing your project on and what is your project title?

Like to hear from you guys!
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending