Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Were your missing players "key" though?

I feel like the players Mourinho used were perfect for his gameplan, and somebody more attacking like Martial would've ruined the balance.
    Clearly missing the players who would have had an impact in the final third. Stats show we spent a lot of time in your end of the pitch but obviously it didnt amount to anything. Someone with the creative skill of Martial would have certainly given us an attacking plus.

Even Mkhi coming on would have opened the game more for us, just like Lallana for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Were your missing players "key" though?

I feel like the players Mourinho used were perfect for his gameplan, and somebody more attacking like Martial would've ruined the balance.
    But he had Rashford starting RW...

ReputationRep:
    I do think we need to give credit to Lovren and Matip who were both outstanding. They made Ibra look absolutely ordinary and should take pride in their first clean sheet.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly think we need to sell Sturridge in Jan whilst he's still worth something. Likely due to injuries, but he's just not the player he used to be, and he's not fitting in with Klopp's play style.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    Honestly think we need to sell Sturridge in Jan whilst he's still worth something. Likely due to injuries, but he's just not the player he used to be, and he's not fitting in with Klopp's play style.
    Yeah, I think the play style is an issue, the other issue imo would be just that he needs a lot of game time and Klopp is rotating him. Problem is that he offers a lot different to say Firmino and Origi isn't ready to really take on Sturridge's role.

ReputationRep:
    Jeez that was an awful game. Both teams negated each other, defences on top and neither attack showing any real sparkle despite the large sums spent.

Sturridge was pretty anonymous and thought Can was poor though on the whole everyone was a little bit average. Coutinho and Firmino looked the most likely to make something happen and we looked better once Lallana game on.

Humho.. a point isn't terrible but what an awful advert for the Premier League..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    It's not just the injuries, he's on a long contract with big wages. Has West Ham written all over it.

I can't see any other club being prepared to take the gamble and pay the fee Liverpool would want.

ReputationRep:
    I was there, I went expecting something like the Europa game in March, but that was dull and tedious.

That's what United have become, an expensive West Brom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    Yeah, I think the play style is an issue, the other issue imo would be just that he needs a lot of game time and Klopp is rotating him. Problem is that he offers a lot different to say Firmino and Origi isn't ready to really take on Sturridge's role.
    Klopp has his system and way of playing, and he'll train players so that they can play different roles to counteract injuries. The problem with Sturridge is that he can't do what Klopp wants from a striker. He's one of the best goalscorers in the league but Liverpool need more than just a goalscorer, and that's why Sturridge's future here is very limited.

We barely got anywhere near United's defence while he was on the pitch, but as soon as Lallana came on and we shifted around, everything clicked. Granted we didn't get our goal, but the momentum in the game certainly changed and on another day we win that match.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    I was there, I went expecting something like the Europa game in March, but that was dull and tedious.

That's what United have become, an expensive West Brom.
    Hahahahaha, I just said that on the United thread before I saw your post

It's sad but true. You can understand it from WBA's point of view because they aren't a top team with hundreds of millions to spend.
    Mourinho is just bloody boring. Yes he's an efficient manager in terms of points, but if you want entertaining football, there's absolutely no point watching.

I'd rather have a risky but exciting Klopp-style any day.

ReputationRep:
    No need to be so down about it lads - a few months ago maybe we would've conceded a late goal and lost that one!

There's been a clear downward trend in our goals conceded: in the PL it's been 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0.
    People talk about how bad our defence is but in the last 6 games we've conceded 5 goals. Not amazing but equally not bad at all.

Maybe last night "feels like a loss" because there was so much hype surrounding us, however you could see this Mourinho bus coming a mile off. A draw isn't a loss and we're sat on 17 points after 8 games. Not to mention the fact that the only "top" team we play in the next 10 games is Everton.

Our league fixtures going forward are:

West Brom (H) - they'll be similar to United but with less quality, we can win this.

Palace (A) - always hard to play these, especially now with Benteke so they could cause us problems.

Watford (H) - they play some nice attacking football but have a poor defence; we could easily put 3 or 4 past them.

Southampton (A) - they aren't the same without Koeman and we definitely have the quality to overpower them.

Sunderland (H) - absolutely dire this season and near certain for relegation. I could only see Liverpool messing that one up..

Bournemouth (A) - can be a tricky one but similarly to Watford, I wouldn't say their strengths particularly lie in defence.

West Ham (H) - we lost too many times to them last season. They're a shadow of their former selves and nothing would give me greater pleasure than to give them a thrashing.

Middlesbrough (A) - low quality side who can't stop conceding. Shouldn't be too tricky.

Everton (A) - big test; this Everton side is exceptional, however we'll see how things stand in 9 weeks.

All in all, do you see many tough challenges for us there? Yes we could have the odd blip but is it really unrealistic to think that we would get 22+ points from those 10 games?
    When you factor in that all of our rivals have to play at least 2 top teams in that period? Real opportunity for us in the next few months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    No need to be so down about it lads - a few months ago maybe we would've conceded a late goal and lost that one!

There's been a clear downward trend in our goals conceded: in the PL it's been 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0.
    People talk about how bad our defence is but in the last 6 games we've conceded 5 goals. Not amazing but equally not bad at all.

Maybe last night "feels like a loss" because there was so much hype surrounding us, however you could see this Mourinho bus coming a mile off. A draw isn't a loss and we're sat on 17 points after 8 games. Not to mention the fact that the only "top" team we play in the next 10 games is Everton.

Our league fixtures going forward are:

West Brom (H) - they'll be similar to United but with less quality, we can win this.

Palace (A) - always hard to play these, especially now with Benteke so they could cause us problems.

Watford (H) - they play some nice attacking football but have a poor defence; we could easily put 3 or 4 past them.

Southampton (A) - they aren't the same without Koeman and we definitely have the quality to overpower them.

Sunderland (H) - absolutely dire this season and near certain for relegation. I could only see Liverpool messing that one up..

Bournemouth (A) - can be a tricky one but similarly to Watford, I wouldn't say their strengths particularly lie in defence.

West Ham (H) - we lost too many times to them last season. They're a shadow of their former selves and nothing would give me greater pleasure than to give them a thrashing.

Middlesbrough (A) - low quality side who can't stop conceding. Shouldn't be too tricky.

Everton (A) - big test; this Everton side is exceptional, however we'll see how things stand in 9 weeks.

All in all, do you see many tough challenges for us there? Yes we could have the odd blip but is it really unrealistic to think that we would get 22+ points from those 10 games?
    When you factor in that all of our rivals have to play at least 2 top teams in that period? Real opportunity for us in the next few months.
    I wouldn't underestimate Southampton, they look very good atm. That, Everton and Palace will be tough tests. We need to win all our home games though.

ReputationRep:
    I would've happily taken 17 points from those starting 8 fixtures at the start of the season.

Like Lucio says, we just need to kick on now with a string of winnable games.

ReputationRep:
    Yh the next few games will really show us how much we have progressed as a team, it's an opportunity to try stake a claim for a top 4/title race.

ReputationRep:
    ****ing hell the one time I count on Liverpool to win...

Ended up putting £15 on the game in mini bets because surely Liverpool couldn't **** that up. Got a fiver back because I had a feeling it'd end 0-0.. Absolutely shite performance from both teams

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1476856090.418488.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  110.3 KB

Guess it's another long wait for a clean sheet then

ReputationRep:
    2 points off the top of the table having played:

Arsenal
    Tottenham
    Leicester
    Chelsea
    Man Utd

Only really Man City of the top teams left to play so we now will play 11 games against mid-bottom half of the table clubs. Obviously some good sides in there like Southampton, Everton etc but a good start to the season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    ****ing hell the one time I count on Liverpool to win...

Ended up putting £15 on the game in mini bets because surely Liverpool couldn't **** that up. Got a fiver back because I had a feeling it'd end 0-0.. Absolutely shite performance from both teams
    If there's one team you shouldn't bet on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    2 points off the top of the table having played:

Arsenal
    Tottenham
    Leicester
    Chelsea
    Man Utd

Only really Man City of the top teams left to play so we now will play 11 games against mid-bottom half of the table clubs. Obviously some good sides in there like Southampton, Everton etc but a good start to the season.
    Beating top teams hasn't been your problem for the past few seasons now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rk2k14)
    Beating top teams hasn't been your problem for the past few seasons now.
    You're completely right, however I feel more confident that our high pressing can make the difference against the smaller teams. We're always gonna have the odd slip up but on the whole we can blow away most teams in the league.

This is the biggest test for us - if we can figure it out against most of the teams over this 10 week period, you'd have to think top 4 is nailed on for us.

A long way to go and a lot of competition though...

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.