Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    China being generously scored in diving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    It seems even the commentators agree.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    It seems even the commentators agree.
    I think they've got fairer! Shame about Brazil.

ReputationRep:
    I think they've got fairer! Shame about Brazil.
    I didn't see the early dives, we got the gold so it's ok.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I saw that! Alas, we still got gold!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I didn't see the early dives, we got the gold so it's ok.
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    I saw that! Alas, we still got gold!
    Good dives to finish it off, China were poor.

ReputationRep:
    Remember the Republican Party after their 2012 defeat saying how they were going to do better at reaching out to minority voters? Their presidential candidate currently looks set to finish FOURTH amongst black voters, behind two candidates in Gary Johnson and Jill Stein that most of the country hasn't even heard of. Shame we don't ever seem to collect polling data on the opinions of self-identified LGBT people, as that would be fascinating right now.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Remember the Republican Party after their 2012 defeat saying how they were going to do better at reaching out to minority voters? Their presidential candidate currently looks set to finish FOURTH amongst black voters, behind two candidates in Gary Johnson and Jill Stein that most of the country hasn't even heard of. Shame we don't ever seem to collect polling data on the opinions of self-identified LGBT people, as that would be fascinating right now.
    The only people who care about the benders are the same people who care about the negroes and Mexicans, I. E. The people that don't care whether they're legal or not as long as they vote for the Wall St. Backed candidate who will steal all the guns from the good guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The only people who care about the benders are the same people who care about the negroes and Mexicans, I. E. The people that don't care whether they're legal or not as long as they vote for the Wall St. Backed candidate who will steal all the guns from the good guys

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Or, y'know, human beings who can emphasise or at least syphasise with the fear of a major party presidential candidate who hates you simply for how you were born and wants to erode many of your rights and civil liberties?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Or, y'know, human beings who can emphasise or at least syphasise with the fear of a major party presidential candidate who hates you simply for how you were born and wants to erode many of your rights and civil liberties?
    Same thing.

The notion that the only factor is biological is laughable

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Same thing.

The notion that the only factor is biological is laughable

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm. Personally I'm inclined to think we all have strong biological inclinations, and most of us are to some extent or another bisexual, but upbring, culture etc do influence whether or not it's exhibited in practice. Biology is absolutely a major factor at the very least.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Personally I'm inclined to think we all have strong biological inclinations, and most of us are to some extent or another bisexual, but upbring, culture etc do influence whether or not it's exhibited in practice. Biology is absolutely a major factor at the very least.
    I tend to agree with this, particularly after various surveys point to the idea that the amount of people saying that they are bizexual is on the ice as we become a more tolerant, open-minded society.

Bi stereotypes are still pretty frustrating though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Tell me it's intensely biological when a fee decades people could get on perfectly happily without perversion but these days every other person you see walking down yje street in our age group is actively bisexual?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tell me it's intensely biological when a fee decades people could get on perfectly happily without perversion but these days every other person you see walking down yje street in our age group is actively bisexual?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A few decades ago when admitting to homosexuality could land you in prison or to forced castration? Yeah, I wonder why most people wouldn't admit to having those temptations.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    A few decades ago when admitting to homosexuality could land you in prison or to forced castration? Yeah, I wonder why most people wouldn't admit to having those temptations.
    Funnily enough people not ****ing anything and anybody because it's the hip thing to do isn't 50 years old, you know, the whole period since decriminalisation, it's only a symptom of the simpletons in our generation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MattElves)
    I tend to agree with this, particularly after various surveys point to the idea that the amount of people saying that they are bizexual is on the ice as we become a more tolerant, open-minded society.

Bi stereotypes are still pretty frustrating though.
    Arguably that's because it's almost encouraged these days and kind of fashionable vs actually wanting to have sex with another man.

ReputationRep:
    Funnily enough people not ****ing anything and anybody because it's the hip thing to do isn't 50 years old, you know, the whole period since decriminalisation, it's only a symptom of the simpletons in our generation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But when you criminalise something for that long, to the extent that it being illegal is the only thing people have ever known, the social stigma surrounding it doesn't evaporate the moment Parliament decides to legislate. This is especially true when we're talking about bisexuals - even if they did have an attraction to people of the same sex, many in the late 60s, 70s or 80s would probably much rather refrain from acting on it and limit themselves to the opposite sex than risk social derision and becoming an outcast in their family and their community.

Think of it like this. I'm going to assume that you're a straight male, and are attracted to women who have both brunette hair and blonde hair - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. You may well have a preference for either blondes or brunettes, but if other factors are favourbale you're probably open to having sex with either of them. However, if having sex with blondes was illegal and a serious criminal offence, or socially frowned upon to the extent family and friends may not even speak to you, I expect you'd stick to brunettes. Not because you aren't attracted to girls with blonde hair, but because they're not worth making your life a living hell over.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I mean if you want someone to say it is biological I've seen several articles over the past couple years reporting on journals and studies conducted which appear to show everyone is slightly bisexual, even if it is only ever so slightly, and no one is totally hetrosexual or homosexual.

As for talking about a few decades ago, maybe if you looked at the kind of hated and literal violence directed at non-hetrosexual people by heterosexual people since it was made legal to be gay you might see why lots of non-hetrosexual people stayed in the closet, rather than risk being disowned, risk being beaten up (potentially killed), risk being sacked or not hired because of your sexuality even though it was illegal to discriminate on grounds of sexuality. Even today you see hate speech and hate crimes committed against lgbtq+ as they are lgbtq+, you see negative stereotypes peddled about aids and promiscuity, you see happy couples forced to leave shops for holding hands or discussing their wedding. And all of this is before you look at how a large amount of the lesbian and gay community frown upon bisexual people, tell them to make up their mind, or try to force them out of the community if they have a partner who isn't the same gender as them.

ReputationRep:
    First year that Medicine has now become available on Clearing. Fall in number of applicants it seems.

ReputationRep:
    Charles Massey was suddenly appointed CEO of the GMC, the General Medical Council who regulates doctors and handles their licence to practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMlA4gPtrBk

Yes......this is him.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.