Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    City were absolutely embarrassed tonight by a Barca side that didn't even play a good game.

Their defensive play is absolutely atrocious - it's all well and good Pep wanting them to play out of the back but does he have the players to do it? Barca don't press anywhere near as intensely as we do but City we're still giving the ball away in their half all the time.

If we played them at the weekend, it would be an absolute slaughter.

It brings in to question whether they can win the league - everybody thought they'd run away with it a month ago but look at them now; 4 games without a win and they look no more defensively solid than we do.

People saying our issue is our defence but City have kept the same number of league clean sheets that we have - 1.
    It pains me to say it, but right now you'd have to agree that Arsenal are favourites for the title...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    City were absolutely embarrassed tonight by a Barca side that didn't even play a good game.

Their defensive play is absolutely atrocious - it's all well and good Pep wanting them to play out of the back but does he have the players to do it? Barca don't press anywhere near as intensely as we do but City we're still giving the ball away in their half all the time.

If we played them at the weekend, it would be an absolute slaughter.

It brings in to question whether they can win the league - everybody thought they'd run away with it a month ago but look at them now; 4 games without a win and they look no more defensively solid than we do.

People saying our issue is our defence but City have kept the same number of league clean sheets that we have - 1.
    It pains me to say it, but right now you'd have to agree that Arsenal are favourites for the title...
    Every top team will go through a patch of form. I think Arsenal have won 7 in a row in all competitions now and no doubt we'll have a run at some point too.

I wouldn't look too much into it. I doubt they will make so many mistakes at the back again in one game soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Every top team will go through a patch of form. I think Arsenal have won 7 in a row in all competitions now and no doubt we'll have a run at some point too.

I wouldn't look too much into it. I doubt they will make so many mistakes at the back again in one game soon.
    I'd argue we're still in form.
    We only drew against United but people are acting like we lost - we're still unbeaten since the Burnley game with no signs of that coming to an end.

They seem to make at least one vital defensive error per game though - this was even back when they were winning games. Obviously things will get better as Pep trains the players, but unless something big changes, I can't see them running away with the league like many thought they would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    I'd argue we're still in form.
    We only drew against United but people are acting like we lost - we're still unbeaten since the Burnley game with no signs of that coming to an end.

They seem to make at least one vital defensive error per game though - this was even back when they were winning games. Obviously things will get better as Pep trains the players, but unless something big changes, I can't see them running away with the league like many thought they would.
    We won 4 league games in a row. Arsenal just won their 6th and can continue that streak (they play Boro).

I just think we'll win more than 4 league games in a row at some point.

ReputationRep:
    We won 4 league games in a row. Arsenal just won their 6th and can continue that streak (they play Boro).

I just think we'll win more than 4 league games in a row at some point.
    Yeah we will do mate...this weekend against WBA

ReputationRep:
    Interesting that this weekend Henderson retained the deepest role and Can effectively replaced Wijnauldum.

Makes me think that once the latter is fit again, he'll come back into the side with Lallana and Henderson.

Are people happy with that trio or should we be making space for Can?

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Wijnaldum will be back fit for the game against WBA. He might not start but as long as we have Lallana back, it's fine.

WBA will park the bus and play for set pieces, so Wijnaldum wouldn't be the biggest miss in the world since we'll likely have 70-80% possession.

I really do hate playing against Pulis teams, but this will be a nice test for us. If we can break down a mid-tabled side that aims to defend all game, I'll feel supremely confident that we can roll over the teams in there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Looks like Wijnaldum will be back fit for the game against WBA. He might not start but as long as we have Lallana back, it's fine.

WBA will park the bus and play for set pieces, so Wijnaldum wouldn't be the biggest miss in the world since we'll likely have 70-80% possession.

I really do hate playing against Pulis teams, but this will be a nice test for us. If we can break down a mid-tabled side that aims to defend all game, I'll feel supremely confident that we can roll over the teams in there.
    First goal always seems massive for us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)

Yh but Wijnaldum is more agile than Can and is able to retain and turn on the ball and move it quicker forwards. Having all the possession in the world doesn't matter if you don't move the ball quick enough as it just becomes easy to defend against and you end up having to pass sideways or the opposition midfield can just press the ball off of you and counter.

This was a problem with our midfield last season and the reason why Klopp bought Wijnaldum (and wanted to buy Dahoud) and moved Lallana to midfield so we can get the ball to our forwards or fullbacks quicker without losing possession and make it difficult for the oppositions midfield to shut us out as United did.

Think Can will start anyway alongside Lallana and Hendo which isn't too bad, atleast Can will be fitter and sharper this time round having got his first full 90 minutes on Monday

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot of chat about how Sturridge isn't a Klopp-type player and doesn't fit his system. I wonder if the same is true for Can? He's that bit slower than all our other midfield players at everything.

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot of chat about how Sturridge isn't a Klopp-type player and doesn't fit his system. I wonder if the same is true for Can? He's that bit slower than all our other midfield players at everything.
    Not necessarily, Can was one of our best midfielders last season. Imo he fits in the same way as Henderson does which is playing deeper of the midfielders, he generally played deeper in a midfield 2 last season I think. Henderson and Can are just too similar for me and it leaves our midfield a bit slow. There is a reason why Milner was shifted to LB and not even used as a backup CM, Coutinho pretty much is ahead of him at CM.

Sturridge just doesn't press or move the same way Firmino does.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also struggling to see where Can fits in, Wijnaldum fits in better in an attacking sense, and Hendo has done so well in the holding position it's hard to consider replacing him, which is a shame, I like to see Can play.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Karius, Clyne, Matip, Lovren, Milner, Henderson, Can, Lallana, Coutinho, Mane, Firmino

Subs: Mignolet, Moreno, Klavan, Lucas, Wijnaldum, Sturridge, Origi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    Karius, Clyne, Matip, Lovren, Milner, Henderson, Can, Lallana, Coutinho, Mane, Firmino

Subs: Mignolet, Moreno, Klavan, Lucas, Wijnaldum, Sturridge, Origi
    Exactly as expected - nice to see Lallana back and Wijnaldum on the bench.

As things stand we can go top if we win tonight, although Arsenal will inevitably score a flukey winner

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal and Spurs draw, Everton lose and one or more of United and Chelsea will drop points too.

We can go joint top tonight if we win, before City play tomorrow
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Mane!!! 1-0

ReputationRep:
    Mané 1-0

Jesus Christ. What. A. Goal.

ReputationRep:
    Mane! Lovely goal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The.Joker)
    Mane! Lovely goal.
    Was all about the Coutinho dummy; it took the entire WBA midfield out of the game.

The cross from Firmino was inch perfect though and the finish from Mané is so easy to get wrong.

ReputationRep:
    2-0 Coutinho

Absolutely brilliant.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.