The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9800
Jinru
They don't do clearing

Do you mind listing your A-level subjects and UMS out?
So I can offer you my advice whether or not to take a gap year and re-apply

LAW - 250/320
PSYCHOLOGY - i cant remember but i need 40 more UMS
SOCIOLOGY - same as psychology
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Pzazz212
so will it also be more likely that we internationals receive offers from LSE?

In a sense yes, but LSE have a limited quota for the number of international students they can accept.
I think it's something like 50%, so out of 280 Economics placement, 140 are given to internationals, which is by far the highest compared to any other institution in the world.

International students only compete with international students, I'm never seen the statistics of acceptance for international students, but I think we are just slightly more likely than home students especially at this moment of time. Because a proportion of internationals have to take the entrance exam (Mid-March) to compare, so theres probably still some space left.
Reply 9802
Pzazz212
so will it also be more likely that we internationals receive offers from LSE?

lol I'm not sure about that since we don't know exactly how many internationals ave already gotten an offer.
Reply 9803
duntan
LAW - 250/320

the subjects that you are taking are what LSE considers as soft subjects and if I'm not wrong, it's on their blacklist.
Reply 9804
duntan
hey everybody. ive been treating my sore wound from my recent rejection from LSE for the LLB course. they rejected me jus before recieving january module results which really sucks becos my results were really good. Im guaranteed A's even with minimal results in June. I sent an email to LSE tellin them about this n how dissapointed I am that I didnt get in becos I was blown away by the LLB course at LSE and if they could re-visit my application or if they had any advice for me. Obviosly, they said NO. but i am sooo sooo sooo hurt. I attended the worst school in Manchester, moss side and yet i worked hard to get good grades although definitely not the best of grades. But i proved what i was capable of at A-Levels with nothing but A's. I thought i'd get over it but I am still sooo sooo sad and im sure a few people out there feel the same way. But my question is this: as naiive as i might sound now, is there anything more that I can do apart from take a gap-year becos i'm scared of another rejection from LSE next year. IS THERE ANYTHIN MORE OUT THERE THAT I CAN DO IN REGARDS TO A PLACE AT LSE? IS THERE A SLIGHT CHANCE THAT LSE MIGHT HAVE A FEW PLACES LEFT AT CLEARING? UCAS EXTRA? ANYTHING? i'm holding offers from Lancaster, UEA and Staffordshire(2yr fast track) but i do not AT ALL want to go there. I kno i sound desperate, but i think dats becos I am desperate. any help?

If you don't want to go to any of your other choices, why would you apply there in the first place?

Take a gap year, use it well, and reapply only to unis you'd be willing to go to. If you get into LSE with your hopefully improved application, all is well. If not, then you can at least say you tried your best and it's their loss.

Don't get too caught up with the lse, it's just an institution i think you'd most likely be underwhelmed with and although it helps, a degree from there isn't the only route to success in future.
Reply 9805
1 Economic Historian
I dont know, it must do...
He's still in the running with no A*s and by LSE standards very poor GCSE's and very mediocre AS's (no offence intended), whilst people with exceptional results (/predictions) like Amar09 and Cathinka have been rejected :s-smilie:

I don't believe his AS's are mediocre; that's what I achieved and I received an offer a couple of months ago.
Reply 9806
Jinru
In a sense yes, but LSE have a limited quota for the number of international students they can accept.
I think it's something like 50%, so out of 280 Economics placement, 140 are given to internationals, which is by far the highest compared to any other institution in the world.

International students only compete with international students, I'm never seen the statistics of acceptance for international students, but I think we are just slightly more likely than home students especially at this moment of time. Because a proportion of internationals have to take the entrance exam (Mid-March) to compare, so theres probably still some space left.

i see. so basically, we're all being compared to those who took the entrance exam on the 10th. when do you think they'll start giving out decisions to internationals?
duntan
LAW - 250/320

Well, they are definatly not bad given your circumstances.
But ermm, I think for Uk/EU student, LSE is THE most competitive university, and they give less credits than Oxbridge when considering backgrounds. How much would they emphasis on your situation I don't know, but since they kept you for atleast 2 months, that suggests you definatly have a chance.

My advice is that, if you are DEFINATLY not happy about your other offers, take a gap year, and do something that shows a strong personality.

I wouldn't put all my hope on LSE again tho, but you can certainly apply LSE aloneside with few other good institutions (Durham/Nottingham ect) and 2 backups. So even if you don't get into LSE next time, you may surprisingly find your self happier at Durham/Nottingham or something.
Reply 9808
Jinru
out of 280 Economics placement, 140 are given to internationals, which is by far the highest compared to any other institution in the world

What about for a smaller department such as the Economic History Department? Will the proportion of home to international applicants be 50-50 as well? For my intended course, economics and economic history there's only roughly 20+ applicants getting into LSE annually. So, will the proportion of applicants receiving offers from the department be similar to those of the economics department, or otherwise?
Reply 9809
Pzazz212
i see. so basically, we're all being compared to those who took the entrance exam on the 10th. when do you think they'll start giving out decisions to internationals?

I am guessing this coming friday since LSE are always active on friday.
Pzazz212

Yes that's what I think, because it only makes sense to keep us waiting and not reject us before the entrance exam.

I guess they will give out offer/rejection through out next week until 1st of April.
Pzazz212
What about for a smaller department such as the Economic History Department? Will the proportion of home to international applicants be 50-50 as well? For my intended course, economics and economic history there's only roughly 20+ applicants getting into LSE annually. So, will the proportion of applicants receiving offers from the department be similar to those of the economics department, or otherwise?

I think it will be more or less the same. For a smaller course (with less place) they may even have more space left relative to Economics, because they need to be more picky lol.
yjkeh
I am guessing this coming friday since LSE are always active on friday.

Yup, and after lurking around the LSE website for some time, this is why:

"Candidates should note that the Undergraduate Admissions Office is closed from 3.30pm every Friday due to a team meeting."

I think so anyway. :tongue:
Reply 9813
thanks for the prompt response guys!
i'm guessing both of you are only waiting for LSE now right?
will both of you be firming LSE if you get an offer?
Reply 9814
so, no decisions will be made after 330 every friday?
But i thought that decisions were almost always made around 5pm every friday?
Pzazz212

I think only international applicants are compared to those who took entrance exams. Think of it as two different admission piles. They will only compare you to exam takers if you are an international and are still waiting.

For home/EU students, we have to keep in mind that perhaps they're just taking their time and making sure they give out the exact offers they want. Sometimes this takes longer than usual. They have until the 1st of April and I think they're using as much time as possible to make sound decisions.
Pzazz212
so, no decisions will be made after 330 every friday?
But i thought that decisions were almost always made around 5pm every friday?

UCAS send you email at 12:00 and 17:30 every day not LSE
LSE usually make decisions before 15:30, but one friday, they given offer after 17:30 for some reason, unless there was a delay in UCAS system

Yeh I'm waiting, and I probably will firm LSE, its all about making international connections for future prospect :yep:
Reply 9817
bluebubbles
I think only international applicants are compared to those who took entrance exams. Think of it as two different admission piles. They will only compare you to exam takers if you are an international and are still waiting.

For home/EU students, we have to keep in mind that perhaps they're just taking their time and making sure they give out the exact offers they want. Sometimes this takes longer than usual. They have until the 1st of April and I think they're using as much time as possible to make sound decisions.

should we assume the worst if we did not receive anything after the 1st?
Pzazz212
should we assume the worst if we did not receive anything after the 1st?

Not necessarily. Applicants are only given an automatic rejection after May 8th, I think. If you don't have anything on April 2nd, call the admissions office and find out what the procedure is for this year. Don't be afraid to do so because in that situation it's LSE that broke their promises.
Reply 9819
Jinru
UCAS send you email at 12:00 and 17:30 every day not LSE
LSE usually make decisions before 15:30, but one friday, they given offer after 17:30 for some reason, unless there was a delay in UCAS system

Yeh I'm waiting, and I probably will firm LSE, its all about making international connections for future prospect :yep:

i see. actually the UCAS track email usually comes to me during 8 pm or 1 am here in Hong Kong. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Latest

Trending

Trending