Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A bit stressed about my grades. I want to get in to Cambridge, which require a lot of work put in to school - which would be fine, if I didn't suffer from depression and anxiety. There is no margin on this, which is what's stressing me out so much. I need to cool down, keep putting effort in to my work and have faith in that it is enough. I am doing good and I can manage this *trying to think positively* I got this, I'm in control. I know what I have to do in order to score the grades I need. Everything is alright.

Ok, now when all work is done for this week, I can relax. I deserve to do so. *taking a break*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScaryScience)
    thanks. unlikely, given the course of the last god knows how many years though. how you doing?
    I'm alright, still lazing about the house. And don't write yourself off altogether - took me years to get out the hole I was in too, but it happened for me eventually.

(Original post by Pathway)
    thank you :hugs: you've been a really big help today
    No bother. :penguinhug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CescaD96)
    Finally got to see a doctor, and they are in agreement with me that home treatment is best for me. :woo:
    That's good hang in there until then! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legilimency)
    A bit stressed about my grades. I want to get in to Cambridge, which require a lot of work put in to school - which would be fine, if I didn't suffer from depression and anxiety. There is no margin on this, which is what's stressing me out so much. I need to cool down, keep putting effort in to my work and have faith in that it is enough. I am doing good and I can manage this *trying to think positively* I got this, I'm in control. I know what I have to do in order to score the grades I need. Everything is alright.

Ok, now when all work is done for this week, I can relax. I deserve to do so. *taking a break*
    Good luck, and you can do this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legilimency)

Can I ask what it is about Cambridge that makes you want to go?
    I'm a current student and I'm going to be blunt, it is possibly one of the worst places to go if you have mental health stuff going on.
    That pressure that you feel, it is worse here.
    I don't want to put you off but as much pressure as you are putting on yourself to get the grades, this place will put on more. The majority of people that I know well who are/have been students have struggled with mental health stuff while they were here.
    The colleges have welfare going on but it does seem like the whole system is basically set up to cause mental health problems at times.

That being said, take a breath. These exams are not the end of the world, all you can do is your best and if you do get the grades for Cambridge please think if it's really what you want before you go for it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    :grouphugs: to all. Jess - button acting funny so I hope you see this - you are beautiful! Don't think of yourself as ugly :nah:

(Original post by Valvopus)
    I'm a current student and I'm going to be blunt, it is possibly one of the worst places to go if you have mental health stuff going on.
    I don't want to put you off but as much pressure as you are putting on yourself to get the grades, this place will put on more. The majority of people that I know well who are/have been students have struggled with mental health stuff while they were here.
    The colleges have welfare going on but it does seem like the whole system is basically set up to cause mental health problems at times.

That being said, take a breath. These exams are not the end of the world, all you can do is your best and if you do get the grades for Cambridge please think if it's really what you want before you go for it.
    Damn, can't rep you :grumble:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pathway)
    Good luck, and you can do this!
    Thank you so much! All I can do is my best and that is what I'll try to do.

(Original post by Valvopus)

Cambridge to me is a heaven considering acacemic excellence. I want to go to Cambridge because I want to be a part of that excellence, to learn and to discover new thinking and to personally develop. I would like to surround myself with intellegent and intellectual people passionate about their subject, because it's when exchanging thoughts and perspectives with such people, I thrive. And I thing I might be able to help other thrive as well. I would also like to become very good at what I do. For the purpose of these things, I think Cambridge have something to offer me. And I to them.

There are a few years left until it's time for me to apply, by which I hope to be mentally healthy. That was my wish and plan. If I'm not well by then, I'd have to rethink this idea, because, as you said - going to Cambridge means dealing with alot of pressure in various forms. Something I might not be up for if still suffering from mental illness. Thanks for your input, I appreciate hearing it from someone already studying there. I'm not giving up on it quite yet, but I promise I'll be realistic about it when the time comes.

ReputationRep:
    Finally got to see a doctor, and they are in agreement with me that home treatment is best for me. :woo:
    Yay that's awesome! :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello how is everyone?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous #2)
    Yay that's awesome! :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    PRSOM, I repped everyone else for their kind replies.

ReputationRep:
    **** yeah! :five:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    **** yeah! :five:
    I know. So happy.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I'm so pleased with myself today for once... I'm hoping this feeling continues because it feels good!

Had a lovely conversation today with someone and it's made me realise how far I've come from this point last year and how much I've been able to overcome to be able to get to this point... I still have crappy days but now I also have fantastic days and it's so good! I never thought I would actually be here this point last year...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Midnightmemories)
    I'm so pleased with myself today for once... I'm hoping this feeling continues because it feels good!

Had a lovely conversation today with someone and it's made me realise how far I've come from this point last year and how much I've been able to overcome to be able to get to this point... I still have crappy days but now I also have fantastic days and it's so good! I never thought I would actually be here this point last year...
    PRSOM.

----

My sister has bought me a Game of Thrones hoodie. Ah, it's beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    I know. So happy.
    Out of interest, do you have access to a computer or are you on your phone?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Out of interest, do you have access to a computer or are you on your phone?
    I'm on my phone. No computers in this ward.

ReputationRep:
    PRSOM, I repped everyone else for their kind replies.
    No worries

PS - As if you're allowed your phone?! **** hit the fan when a nurse found out I hid mine in my room :mmm: they were really strict about it for some reason.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    PRSOM.

----

My sister has bought me a Game of Thrones hoodie. Ah, it's beautiful.
    :hugs: hope you're okay :console:

Need to let out some thoughts, and I need advice.

I am really shy, nervous and anxious in public. Today I left the house and I had never felt so scared of such a simple experience. I think my PMS is amplifying that anxiousness cause I don't always feel that way when I go out, especially if I'm constantly leaving the house (which isn't often). I recently pursued two volunteering roles but just can't bring myself to attend, because I both feel too shy and nervous, and feel that I would be of no value. I'm not a confident person: one of them is with kids, and I just feel that I don't care enough about these people or have the motivation/confidence to step up to the role. I don't have a social circle, so I feel that I have nobody to talk to. I should be going to university in a few months, and the thought of it terrifies me. I just don't know how to confidentally step out of my comfort zone and overcome my anxiousness. I did apply for CBT but couldn't bring myself to ring them. It makes me feel incredibly embarrassed, which is partly a reason as to why I never discuss it with loved ones. It honestly feels like I am my own worst enemy, and I am holding myself back. But again, I just don't know how to overcome it. The volunteering roles are in new places that I haven't been; was gonna travel there today to get a feel for the place, but, again, just couldn't pluck up the courage. I got home and just burst in to tears. I honestly feel alienated, and I don't know what to do. Any advice would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Lonely and down.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.