Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    Good Ol' 'Murica. She needs a mental evaluation after that. I just watched the final drive and Jesus it was slow! Did Sims forget he could spike the ball?
    (Original post by cant_think_of_name)
    Oh my. Hahahahahahaha.

"THE DYNASTY IS JUST BEGINNING! KISS MY BUTT! ROLL TIDE!" was a personal favourite (on the old video).

The second one is even better hahaha. The sighs from him hahaa
    'MURICA INDEED.

In fairness, she's be doing it for twenty odd years, and is a regular to Finebaum. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/02/sp...tate.html?_r=0

I fixed the link. As my Coach said, 'the South runs on three things: God, Tea and the SEC, and not necessarily in that order.' There's hardly any difference between her call after the Sugar Bowl and after the Ole Miss game. I just like the casual " 'bye" in the today's one. There Auburn fan was even worse than Phyllis. There were numerous Buckeyes calling in, which was funny. There was an FSU caller as well (it's a program syndicated across the south, as well as on the ESPN networks) who said the last time he saw an FSU team quit was in 1996. He said they well and truly quit yesterday. The general tone of the show was as if it was wake or something...Paul Finebaum was just lost for words at times. Worth a listen to it again if you have time.

I just watched the final drive and Jesus it was slow! Did Sims forget he could spike the ball?
    Wrong playcalls. Wrong execution. A lack of calling 2 plays in the huddle. A buck 30 should be plenty of time to drive down the field. The chains stop at new first downs in college, until they are set, so it's more like an NFL 2 minute drill, than anything. I can't believe that they were still trying to throw between the hashes, and in the flats, with no time outs. tOSU will accept the 8 yard gains all day!! It didn't have to come down to a hail mary from the tOSU40 with 0:08 on the clock. The offense couldn't get set...which was really concerning. If that's Oregon in the situation, starting on the 17, with a buck-thirty on the clock, no time outs, they win, pure and simple. If it's FSU, in the same situation, they win.

That said, for Bama, some perspective is needed. Although she was a bit abrupt in the way she said it, Phyllis raises some excellent points. 1. It's a Nick Saban coached team. They are never down for long. 2. Bama can take a lot of pride of the season they had. SEC champions is nothing to sniff at...it's just maybe the Big 10 isn't as bad as what everyone thought. There is a lot of parity between the Power5 conferences now. On any given day, the best teams in the country, from whatever conference they are in, can beat eachother up. The SEC is still the best conference, but not by much...although by SEC standards, it's been a poor year. Like Coach Saban teams...the SEC will not be down for long. 3. I think Phyllis said something about 'Bama being loaded next year. Well, they do have another #1 ranked recruiting class coming in. See points 1 and 2. However, they will have a lot of turnover...it's already been one of the least experienced Saban teams, but they will lose a lot of good seniors like Nick Perry, Trey DePriest and Arie Kouandjio, as well as some pretty talented juniors who are expected to declare like Amari Cooper, Landon Collins, TY Yeldon and Reggie Ragland. Next year..will be a rebuilding year for sure. But, if any coach can build a new dynasty..it's Saban.

But it's not like they don't have the pieces. The key will be building around Derrick Henry in the absence of TY Yeldon. He's in the mold of Lacy or Bell. 6ft 3. 240lbs. A former 100m sprinter...he should be able to run a 4.4-4.5 forty. Jacob Coker has had a year of seasoning, and as a FSU transfer, has had the benefiting of playing for two of the best programs in college football, as well as two of the best coaches. He's a senior next year, but expect Bama to give him competition.

And yes, Malevolent. JK Scott is ridiculous. He had a 60 yard average...and OSU got hardly anything on the return. Crazy. There was the one downed at the 4 iirc, and I think that was the 72 yarder, but that was without a return man...they were set up to block the punt. It still would have been at least a 60 yarder, which is crazy. He showed finesse on the short punts, and lots of leg between the twenties. AND HE'S JUST A FRESHMAN. Man...if he was in the draft...I'd use a 6th or 7th rounder on him. Bama have great coverage on their special teams...but he is 'money'. Punters like him should be drafted. I'd also use a draft pick on Roberto Aguayo as well, despite his miss against Oregon...he is the definition of 'money'. And it's scary to think that he's just a sophomore. (And yes...kickers like him should be drafted to).

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else seen the video on youtube which shows Hitler's reaction to the Bama loss? It's well worth a watch...

ReputationRep:
    I would actually spend a draft pick on him haha. Like a 5th or 6th round would be worth it. Special teams is such a huge part of the game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    I would actually spend a draft pick on him haha. Like a 5th or 6th round would be worth it. Special teams is such a huge part of the game.
    PUNTERS ARE PEOPLE TOO.

I wouldn't go "full Jaguars" and grab a punter in the third round ahead of say...Russell Wilson. But yes. A 6th rounder seems fair. I'd rather spend a draft pick and ensure that such a good punter is on the team, than risk the lottery of the UFDA. It's crazy how many good punters and placekickers are undrafted...but he's a good one to draft.

Placekickers as well. I know it's early to think about it, but I fear the Colts would draft Roberto Aguayo to replace Vinetari. Replacing one future HOF kicker, for one with the potential to be great, is almost like replacing a furture HOF QB for one with the potential to be great...oh..wait...they did that as welll #colts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    PUNTERS ARE PEOPLE TOO.

I wouldn't go "full Jaguars" and grab a punter in the third round ahead of say...Russell Wilson. But yes. A 6th rounder seems fair. I'd rather spend a draft pick and ensure that such a good punter is on the team, than risk the lottery of the UFDA. It's crazy how many good punters and placekickers are undrafted...but he's a good one to draft.

Placekickers as well. I know it's early to think about it, but I fear the Colts would draft Roberto Aguayo to replace Vinetari. Replacing one future HOF kicker, for one with the potential to be great, is almost like replacing a furture HOF QB for one with the potential to be great...oh..wait...they did that as welll #colts.
    Yeah the colts lucked out no pun intended lol. I think denver would do well to pick scott up. Colquit has been pretty bad since his pay day.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the colts lucked out no pun intended lol. I think denver would do well to pick scott up. Colquit has been pretty bad since his pay day.
    I agree wholeheartedly. I've not been impressed with Colquitt. We need to get some try outs to light a fire...or cut him. He was the highest paid punter in the league until Hekker got his payday...but he hasn't played anywhere like an elite punter. Still...Scott's a freshman...so it would have to wait a few years...

ReputationRep:
    I agree wholeheartedly. I've not been impressed with Colquitt. We need to get some try outs to light a fire...or cut him. He was the highest paid punter in the league until Hekker got his payday...but he hasn't played anywhere like an elite punter. Still...Scott's a freshman...so it would have to wait a few years...
    Yeah not sure what happened to him. Wouldn't agree with vinatieri getting an all pro nod.

ReputationRep:
    Tampa need a new punter (amongst a million other things) we lost so much field position from punts this season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ..DT..)
    Tampa need a new punter (amongst a million other things) we lost so much field position from punts this season.
    Please tell me what the hell happened to Verner. I was so certain he would be one of the best moves of the season....

ReputationRep:
    Please tell me what the hell happened to Verner. I was so certain he would be one of the best moves of the season....
    I don't really know to be honest....

Didn't get much help over the top from what I saw, got mismatched quite a bit (I guess? ).

Most importantly I'd say he probably spent too much time on the field. When you have an offence that struggles to string together 50 yards total in the first half of most it's matches it is going to put a strain on the D. Hopefully he bounces back next year, we have some good players in the unit and really I just think too much was asked of them this season.

Just looked, if we had scored exactly 24 points every game (something I don't see as an unrealistic target for a team, especially considering the ravens managed to average about that) we would have won 9 of our games. Obviously a 'shoulda, coulda, woulda' statistic, but I guess it shows how important having a scoring offence is.

ReputationRep:
    PUNTERS ARE PEOPLE TOO.

Never go full Gene Smith! Anger is good at punting but 3rd round was madness.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain how the playoffs works? So who does the winner of Cardinals and Panthers game face and what about the other matches? New to American Football.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sameer599)
    Can someone explain how the playoffs works? So who does the winner of Cardinals and Panthers game face and what about the other matches? New to American Football.

Thanks
    Hey newbie. Stay here long enough and you won't feel like a newbie anymore! I'll give you the playoff rundown. The NFL is divided into 2 conferences with 4 divisions each so there are 8.There are 12 playoff spots. Each divisional champion automatically gets into the playoffs. There are then 2 wildcards from each conference. The wildcards are those teams who didn't win their divisions but otherwise have the best season records. Where there is a tie there is a collection of tiebreakers which are dependent on whether the tie is two way or more than two ways so I won't get into them here.

We now have our 12 playoff contenders, 6 from each division. These are then seeded. The divisional champions are seeded 1-4 by record. The top 2 of these get a 'bye' so they don't have to play in Wildcard week. They also secure home advantage for all of the playoff games they contend up to the Superbowl. The wildcards are then seeded by record too so they are 5 or 6 for their conference. Seed 3 will play seed 6, seed 4 will play seed 5. That makes 4 wildcard vs divisional champion games. The divisional champion gets home advantage. The winners of these games then move on to Divisional Week where the lowest seed still in the playoffs will play the number 1 seed, the next lowest will play the number 2 seed. The next week is Conference Championship week to decide the winners of the AFC and NFC. The highest seed remaining gets home advantage for this game. After these games are concluded there is a week gap for the Pro Bowl which is totally irrelevant to the playoffs. After all of this it's time for the Superbowl where the winners of the Championship games will play each other at a pre-determined venue (this years is in Glendale, Arizona at University of Phoenix Stadium) The winner of this is then crowned the Superbowl Champion for the year.

Sorry about the length. To answer the second question the winner of the Cardinals(5)/Panthers(4) game will face Green Bay Packers(2) if the Lions(6) win the other wildcard and Seattle Seahawks(1) if Dallas Cowboys(3) win in the other wildcard game.

I'll have a stab at a full playoff prediction whilst I'm here

Wildcard Week
    Ravens v Steelers LOSE
    Bengals v Colts
    Cardinals v Panthers WIN
    Lions v Cowboys

Divisional Week
    Bengals v Patriots
    Broncos v Ravens
    Lions v Seahawks
    Panthers v Packers

Championship Week
    Patriots v Broncos
    Lions v Packers

Superbowl XLIX
    Patriots v Packers

(Picks are in red)

ReputationRep:
    I'm going

Ravens
    Bengals
    Panthers
    Boiz

for the wildcard.

We will continue from there afterwards

ReputationRep:
    Hey newbie. Stay here long enough and you won't feel like a newbie anymore! I'll give you the playoff rundown. The NFL is divided into 2 conferences with 4 divisions each so there are 8.There are 12 playoff spots. Each divisional champion automatically gets into the playoffs. There are then 2 wildcards from each division. The wildcards are those teams who didn't win their divisions but otherwise have the best season records. Where there is a tie there is a collection of tiebreakers which are dependent on whether the tie is two way or more than two ways so I won't get into them here.

We now have our 12 playoff contenders, 6 from each division. These are then seeded. The divisional champions are seeded 1-4 by record. The top 2 of these get a 'bye' so they don't have to play in Wildcard week. They also secure home advantage for all of the playoff games they contend up to the Superbowl. The wildcards are then seeded by record too so they are 5 or 6 for their conference. Seed 3 will play seed 6, seed 4 will play seed 5. That makes 4 wildcard vs divisional champion games. The divisional champion gets home advantage. The winners of these games then move on to Divisional Week where the lowest seed still in the playoffs will play the number 1 seed, the next lowest will play the number 2 seed. The next week is Conference Championship week to decide the winners of the AFC and NFC. The highest seed remaining gets home advantage for this game. After these games are concluded there is a week gap for the Pro Bowl which is totally irrelevant to the playoffs. After all of this it's time for the Superbowl where the winners of the Championship games will play each other at a pre-determined venue (this years is in Glendale, Arizona at University of Phoenix Stadium) The winner of this is then crowned the Superbowl Champion for the year.

Sorry about the length. To answer the second question the winner of the Cardinals(5)/Panthers(4) game will face Green Bay Packers(2) if the Lions(6) win the other wildcard and Seattle Seahawks(1) if Dallas Cowboys(3) win in the other wildcard game.

I'll have a stab at a full playoff prediction whilst I'm here

Wildcard Week
    Ravens v Steelers
    Bengals v Colts
    Cardinals v Panthers
    Lions v Cowboys

Divisional Week
    Bengals v Patriots
    Broncos v Steelers
    Lions v Seahawks
    Panthers v Packers

Championship Week
    Patriots v Broncos
    Lions v Packers

Superbowl XLIX
    Patriots v Packers

(Picks are in red)
    Thanks for that, great explanation!

ReputationRep:
    I'll take the Panthers, Ravens, Colts, and Cowboys. Although I'd really love it if Arizona won.

ReputationRep:
    Ravens, Colts, Cardinals and Cowboys would be my picks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sameer599)
    Thanks for that, great explanation!
    Remember, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask, and we’ll be happy to explain.

ReputationRep:
    Wildcard weekend begins here.....

Come on the Panthers, lets ride up that draft position.

ReputationRep:
    What is a rush/rushing yard?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.