Is this a legit tweet?

1471041760517.jpg

I assume they edited out the "ing..."

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    First British man to win Wimbledon or any grand slam in over seven decades. First British man to win an Olympic gold in however long?

Who's done better from a British perspective?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Moss, Mansell, Hamilton, Froome.

Murray is a great tennis player (if a little dry in his playing style) but he is not the world beater that Fed, Nadal and Djokovic are. As much as a dislike him i'd probably say that Hamilton is probably more worthy given that he's dominating his sport at the moment.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)

Murray is a great tennis player (if a little dry in his playing style) but he is not the world beater that Fed, Nadal and Djokovic are. As much as a dislike him i'd probably say that Hamilton is probably more worthy given that he's dominating his sport at the moment.
    He's dominating in the way Schumacher was: his car is better by a mile than all but his team mate, and while he doesn't have the team orders he can force Rosberg off the track and get away with it. He's a smug **** that doesn't deserve to win half the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Murray is a phenomenal player and he's given Britain a truly world class tennis player for the first time since Fred Perry. I'd argue he's coming into his own period of dominance now and will win a few more slams.

I don't see car racing as a sport.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Murray is a phenomenal player and he's given Britain a truly world class tennis player for the first time since Fred Perry. I'd argue he's coming into his own period of dominance now and will win a few more slams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He also throws a tantrum whenever things don't go well, if tennis had the sorts of rules many other sports did he would be a nobody because of it.

I'd like to see you try and drive those sorts of cars for 90 minutes and say it isn't a sport

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Murray has never won consecutive slams or being world number 1, it's hard to see how he's coming into a period of dominance on that basis.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tell me why Tennis is a sport then and why car racing isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    He also throws a tantrum whenever things don't go well, if tennis had the sorts of rules many other sports did he would be a nobody because of it.

I'd like to see you try and drive those sorts of cars for 90 minutes and say it isn't a sport

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not saying it's not difficult, I'm saying it's not a sport. I wouldn't be much good at heart surgery either but I don't class that as a sport.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Murray has never won consecutive slams or being world number 1, it's hard to see how he's coming into a period of dominance on that basis.
    Federer fading, Nadal not as good as he was and Djokovic suddenly seems vulnerable. Murray should win the Olympic gold and has a great chance in the US Open.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm not saying it's not difficult, I'm saying it's not a sport. I wouldn't be much good at heart surgery either but I don't class that as a sport.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    On what basis is it not a sport? You would fail at heart surgery because you lack the skill and training, you would fail at motorsport because I would wager you aren't physically fit enough, nor would I wager have the mindset.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    On what basis is it not a sport? You would fail at heart surgery because you lack the skill and training, you would fail at motorsport because I would wager you aren't physically fit enough, nor would I wager have the mindset.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    On the basis you have an engine doing the work for you rather than your own physical attributes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    On the basis you have an engine doing the work for you rather than your own physical attributes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So windsurfing and sailing aren't sports? In those you have the wind doing the work for you.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So is equestrian not a sport because the horse is doing the work? An engine doesn't mean you're doing nothing physically and that's before we come back to the definition

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    1471045382481.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    So windsurfing and sailing aren't sports? In those you have the wind doing the work for you.
    That's different because everyone has the same conditions doesn't depend on a mechanical engine. Although there's an argument that they aren't sports either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So is equestrian not a sport because the horse is doing the work? An engine doesn't mean you're doing nothing physically and that's before we come back to the definition

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd argue equestrian wasn't either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's different because everyone has the same conditions doesn't depend on a mechanical engine. Although there's an argument that they aren't sports either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you realise how physically fit you have to be to race in a Formula 1 car. I race karts quite a fair bit and that physically tires you out. In an F1 car you're pulling G's of 7+, that's a lot of stress on your neck.

Sports are activities which involve physical exertion.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There isn't a reasonable argument if you actually know what the word sport means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    Do you realise how physically fit you have to be to race in a Formula 1 car. I race karts quite a fair bit and that physically tires you out. In an F1 car you're pulling G's of 7+, that's a lot of stress on your neck.

Sports are activities which involve physical exertion.
    Being a paper boy involves physical exertion.
    You have an engine doing the work for you and your speed depends on how good your engine is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Being a paper boy involves physical exertion.
    You have an engine doing the work for you and your speed depends on how good your engine is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But with Tennis you have a bat doing the work, with cycling you have a bike doing the work, with rowing you have a boat doing the work. Are any of them sports then?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.