Yeah, 2-1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    Only 6 pages till the new thread
    Mine was locked by #salty Arsenal fans/mods

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Lol ye

Oh come on, it's not that deep. Same could be said for LVG, vastly better credentials than Monk and is simply a better manager in the game yet Monk was able to out fox him twice this season too. It happens. Poyet managed to outfox Mourinho twice last season taking 4/6 points from the two fixtures, does that mean Jose's past it? Ton of other examples but cba to type them now.

Tonight was just an example of how good a team Swansea are and what a season they're having. Just a bad tactical decision from Wenger, don't think it's fair to call out his whole managerial existence for us because of one game. Our run had to end somewhere, too bad it was tonight lol
    Yeah exactly I would say the same for LVG, he's never impressed me as a manager. Also even though Mourinho loses some games doesn't mean he's past it because he still wins league titles and Wenger can't even challenge for them. Swansea is a good team when you compare them to teams like West Brom, Stoke & Aston Villa but they are not when you compare them to Arsenal. I think that Arsene has proven he hasn't got the credentials to even seriously compete for a league title much less the champions league, you can forget about winning them. My analysis is not based of one game but instead from Wenger's 11 years of failure since his last league title win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    We can't afford to have a new striker who flops in their first season, we need someone who's going to bang in 20 in their first season, which is why I included them
    All you seem to need is one good striker every 10 years, maybe Giroud is your star man for the next decade. Still, you were calling them flops period. It looks like Di Maria will come good, while Falcao could always do well at another club. We just don't know yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    All you seem to need is one good striker every 10 years, maybe Giroud is your star man for the next decade. Still, you were calling them flops period. It looks like Di Maria will come good, while Falcao could always do well at another club. We just don't know yet.
    He's 28

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    He's 28
    Yeah but we're at 2015, and by the time we reach 2020 at most he'll be 32/33 which isn't completely inconceivable (though unlikely to happen) for a target man striker to still be playing

God help us if he's our main striker for that period though.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal should look at Lacazette as United did Share to be a long term investment, and go for a striker who they know will get them 30 goals this season and next. Problem is, that isn't Wengers way. I can see him going to Man City personally as they'll stupidly pay over the odds for tonnes of players, including English ones, and sell Dzeko and even Bony.

ReputationRep:
    This season against the top 9, P15 W4...

ReputationRep:
    The awkward moment when Eden Hazard has a bigger trophy cabinet than Arsenal...

ReputationRep:
    Looking at Arsenal's trophy cabinet because i'm #salty #obsessed, and I discover that they only won five trophies in the 18 years between 1971 and 1989, and only 1 trophy between the FA Cup in 1979 and the League in 1989.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RA95)
    Yeah but we're at 2015, and by the time we reach 2020 at most he'll be 32/33 which isn't completely inconceivable (though unlikely to happen) for a target man striker to still be playing

God help us if he's our main striker for that period though.
    That's 5 years from now so he'll be at least 33

ReputationRep:
    Looking at Arsenal's trophy cabinet because i'm #salty #obsessed, and I discover that they only won five trophies in the 18 years between 1971 and 1989, and only 1 trophy between the FA Cup in 1979 and the League in 1989.
    Read Fever Pitch if you like, gives a very interesting account of the malaise around the club at that time.

You say 'only' 5 trophies but I suspect only 3/4 clubs bettered that. And we won the title in 1991 just after that period as well. Football was different back then though, bar Liverpool there were no club really able to sustain a place near the top for any extended period. Utd won no titles in that period either, and certainly not Chelsea who were in the 2nd division for much of it. Every club has had trophy droughts, Utd before Fergie, Liverpool/Spurs currently. I guess at City/Chelsea before Oil money it waqsnt so much a drought as a way of life.

Secondly you have to say Arsenal have never been a club that dominated any period, bar the 1930s perhaps, and we've always just steadily added titles/cups over the decades. For me that's the sign of a club with inherent long term foundations rather than just rinsing a 20 year period when a legendary manager comes round(hello Liverpool and Utd!)

Bottom line is that Arsenal have won a title in every decade, bar one, since the 1920s and with the Highbury gates etc Arsenal were, and are, undisputedly the biggest club in London.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, although I reckon Herbert Chapman buying you a place in the Old First Division probably helped #sugardaddyclubbeforeitwascool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Depleted)
    That's 5 years from now so he'll be at least 33
    Cool thanks for the clarification

Name:  andy-300x195.png
Views: 46
Size:  80.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    ffs can someone just ban Shed End please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelfox)
    Ok

Gimme a minute

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, although I reckon Herbert Chapman buying you a place in the Old First Division probably helped #sugardaddyclubbeforeitwascool
    No proof of that whatsoever. Participation in the old first Div was by invitation and they obviously wanted Arsenal to participate(not that uncommon, the Bundesliga in the 1960s invited sides from their 3rd level to participate actually). There may have been bribes, there may not have been we'll never know but it is quite strange how some people like to throw that claim out there as if it is some long buried truth.

I love how people dont really think about what that claim implies anyway. As if Arsenal finished 5th or whatever and the authorities just promoted them anyway, in a blatantly corrupt way. It was completely up to the discretion of the FA to decide who played in the first division. Not Arsenal's fault we were picked whilst others were not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelfox)
    Haha, I've done nothing against the rules. Just because you seem to be a sensitive little fairy you want me banned?

ReputationRep:
    It's true to be honest, Shed doesn't do much wrong. Initiates conversations that practically highlight the stuff that the majority of non Arsenal fans think anyway. Either debate with him & tell him where he's wrong like Zurich did ^ or just ignore him. No need to get in to petty arguments tbh.

Thing is, a lot of us take the baits and boom - he's laughing.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.