Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    But with Tennis you have a bat doing the work, with cycling you have a bike doing the work, with rowing you have a boat doing the work. Are any of them sports then?
    Completely different because the tennis racquet nor the bike generate speed or power independently of the person. Whereas with car racing you put your foot down, it's no challenge to speed up.

In tennis rowing and cycling it is entirely the individuals doing the work to generate the speed and power, with f1 it's an engine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Completely different because the tennis racquet nor the bike generate speed or power independently of the person. Whereas with car racing you put your foot down, it's no challenge to speed up.

In tennis towing and cycling it is entirely the individuals doing the work, with f1 it's an engine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How very ignorant, you need skill in a Formula 1 car in terms of reaction times and mental thought et cetera. If it's engines doing all the work how come individuals with slower engines can place above individuals with faster engines?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'd argue equestrian wasn't either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sign of never having done that either. Not the most physical of sports, hence why women can compete alongside men and still have decent tits, but still strenuous with a lot of skill and strength required, especially for jumping, cross country, polo, and derivatives.

I'm hardly weak, especially in the legs, couple of years back the rowing club at uni was offering a free year membership for the fastest newbie 100m and just on the legs I set a decent time, for somebody who hadn't even been on a rowing machine before, and even after two years of polo still lack the strength to be a good rider (although I can give at least two other reasons).

If you say equestrian and motor sports aren't sports because you have a horse and engine respectively providing the power all that says is you've never been on anything more than the donkey at the beach and never driven a motor vehicle more than ordinarily on the road

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If we go back to the original question that was debated, then Steve Redgrave I would put top of my list, because of the length of time and the medical conditions he overcame to win his medals.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/aaecb834-6...9cbb1138a.html

This is a real pity - getting rid of the daft subsidy to failing farmers was one of the few upsides of leaving the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    How very ignorant, you need skill in a Formula 1 car in terms of reaction times and mental thought et cetera. If it's engines doing all the work how come individuals with slower engines can place above individuals with faster engines?
    I'm not arrogant. I'm not saying it's not difficult or competitive , I'm saying it's not a sport when you have an engine generating all the power.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm not arrogant. I'm not saying it's not difficult or competitive , I'm saying it's not a sport when you have an engine generating all the power.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Then show us all up and put your flimsy body to the test while opening a dictionary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would have to disagree; I think the fact that there is an engine involved is irrelevant. The definition of a sport is that it involves physical exertion, skill, and competition, and driving a car at 4-5G (at least) classes as physical exertion in my book.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Sounds like the BMA are working for the tories to make strike action near impossible:

http://tgr.ph/3j7ewM

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    First womens 8 medal - Silver.

Gold in the men's 8.

According to BBC medal tracker, we are on par with London (i imagine less gold).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    First womens 8 medal - Silver.

Gold in the men's 8.

According to BBC medal tracker, we are on par with London (i imagine less gold).
    Another half dozen decent chances over the rest of tje day. Given last night we were on 20 and that's before super Saturday and the rest of the cycling and athletics i think we could see our second best ever, not just best away

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    And another world record in the velodrome, looking to be a very exciting final

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    And another guaranteed medal, hopefully it will turn into a guaranteed gold and sliver

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I move that we rename the bar 'Jammy's Olympic Scrapbook' for the duration of the Games
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Great... We are infected with trolls
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Great... We are infected with trolls
    You've only just realised? How long have you been here exactly?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You've only just realised? How long have you been here exactly?
    :rolleyes: how did I know that's what you would have said before I clicked on the link.

ReputationRep:
    At least a silver in the sprint
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    4 more medals tonight will see us running ahead of 2012. Fantastic Olympics for Great Britain.
    5 golds behind though right now.

ReputationRep:
    Gold and silver from the sprint guaranteed.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.