The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    My dear lady, I was worried that some topics might eventually drive a wedge between us and imperil our delicate, yet very affectionate relationship, but do not worry, for I shall put things right and hopefully earn your favours once again. Before I'm able to construct proper defence, however, I need to see that post of mine – could you send me a link, please? I don't keep track of my TSR speeches and usually consider them horse**** like nearly all of the content here because they're just for an internet forum (which is full of commies, ugh)…

Regardless, I must say I'm devastated that you refuse to grant me an heir. It could be a lovely female named Jessica (then we could hire a nanny and send the girl to a boarding school afterwards, don't worry)…
    My dear sir,

The link has been sent. I looked forward to your response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CescaD96)
    My dear sir,

The link has been sent. I looked forward to your response.
    Many thanks! See, that one wasn't horse**** after all! :holmes:

Firstly, I must stress that what I wrote was a generalisation and the main point was encouragement, not prohibition.

I'm glad that you have your priorities sorted and you certainly seem to be clever enough but it's nevertheless true that the culture greatly affects individuals' values and choices based upon them. It has been concluded that in the name of equality, women are pushed to become engineers or scientists despite their earlier preferences and predispositions.

It's similar to the devaluation of university education – people feel obligated to pursue higher education to find happiness in life, the universities produce so many graduates that most of them don't even need their formal qualification for the work they end up doing, the degrees are not worth what they used to, and we hire immigrants to do the lesser jobs.

I never said that producing children was a duty to the country. I said that as a species, we must seek to improve the environment in which we live, and prolong our survival. To do that, we are social, share resources, and utilise multiple evolutionary mechanisms developed long ago for the sole purpose of keeping us alive. Right now, we are slowly destroying ourselves because if we're unwilling to think ahead and shape our current values to produce better future, what is the purpose of shaping the future at all? What motivates you to continue living and do your PhD., for example?

The mothers wouldn't be bitter nor resentful if they weren't imprinted with such values – the environment does have a huge impact on one's personality, particularly during early development, and we are in control less than we like to admit. I'd even bet that you will once feel an urge to produce an offspring because as a human female, it's your ultimate purpose. Trust me, some feelings are unimaginable before they're felt and this procreation stuff certainly falls in that category, especially for mothers.

I'm not sure what you mean by that male gene paragraph – could you reiterate, please?

With all due respect, I can see why people are not interested in politics. It's an artificial field full of either corrupted persons striving for power or non-productive theorists a.k.a. philosophers, and most of actual empirical knowledge falls into e.g. economics, psychology, etc. Men are interested in politics because they're males – required to show their dominance by expressing their opinions and fighting for them. Am I wrong?

Yes, women are capable of all of that, yet it doesn't mean that they should nor that it's optimal for them (again, generally speaking).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Many thanks! See, that one wasn't horse**** after all! :holmes:

Firstly, I must stress that what I wrote was a generalisation and the main point was encouragement, not prohibition.

I'm glad that you have your priorities sorted and you certainly seem to be clever enough but it's nevertheless true that the culture greatly affects individuals' values and choices based upon them. It has been concluded that in the name of equality, women are pushed to become engineers or scientists despite their earlier preferences and predispositions.

It's similar to the devaluation of university education – people feel obligated to pursue higher education to find happiness in life, the universities produce so many graduates that most of them don't even need their formal qualification for the work they end up doing, the degrees are not worth what they used to, and we hire immigrants to do the lesser jobs.

I never said that producing children was a duty to the country. I said that as a species, we must seek to improve the environment in which we live, and prolong our survival. To do that, we are social, share resources, and utilise multiple evolutionary mechanisms developed long ago for the sole purpose of keeping us alive. Right now, we are slowly destroying ourselves because if we're unwilling to think ahead and shape our current values to produce better future, what is the purpose of shaping the future at all? What motivates you to continue living and do your PhD., for example?

The mothers wouldn't be bitter nor resentful if they weren't imprinted with such values – the environment does have a huge impact on one's personality, particularly during early development, and we are in control less than we like to admit. I'd even bet that you will once feel an urge to produce an offspring because as a human female, it's your ultimate purpose. Trust me, some feelings are unimaginable before they're felt and this procreation stuff certainly falls in that category, especially for mothers.

I'm not sure what you mean by that male gene paragraph – could you reiterate, please?

With all due respect, I can see why people are not interested in politics. It's an artificial field full of either corrupted persons striving for power or non-productive theorists a.k.a. philosophers, and most of actual empirical knowledge falls into e.g. economics, psychology, etc. Men are interested in politics because they're males – required to show their dominance by expressing their opinions and fighting for them. Am I wrong?

Yes, women are capable of all of that, yet it doesn't mean that they should nor that it's optimal for them (again, generally speaking).
    I think in terms of women entering non traditional roles can be addressed. Women were perceived as delicate little butterflies, who had no desire or interest in engineering or science; however, when there was war, who worked as engineers, factory workers, and the like? The Queen was an engineer, I believe! This is society working on us; men are just as capable as being teachers, nurses and the likes. My favourite teachers have mostly been males! Would you rather have a capable male nurse who enjoys thoroughly his work looking after you, or me as your nurse, someone who has no interest in science and would only be a nurse to fit your gender roles?

I agree with you on universities. But that has happened due to that there is a belief that you are meant to be better off than your parents' generation. Like me, for instance. Neither of my parents went to university, and I am going.

What motivates me to do a PhD? Academics is all I could ever do. I'm not hardwired to work full time with people. I can hardly stand an hour with my friends, unfortunately. It's a sense of pride, achievement. I'd be the first in the family.

Mentioning family brings me to the children bit: I'm surrounded by babies. Daddy, sadly, comes from a big family, and I'm the eldest granddaughter. I've held all my younger cousins as babies. My cousin just had a baby on Saturday. I've never liked them. Despised holding my little brother as a baby. I've never had that urge - probably for good reason - and I doubt I ever will. I don't like people, so why should I like babies?

Maybe I interpreted you wrong on duty over want of having a child, but I still stand by that having a child is a privilege, and unless you know for certain that you will love that child til the day you die and will do all in your power to give them your best then you shouldn't have a child. As for me, I doubt I ever could do that.

My male comments links to your comment that women freezing their ova is dangerous and irresponsible, as that could potentially harm the genes required. There are some of the male species who shouldn't procreate full stop, and I see those type of people every day. I would rather have the women freezing their ova reproducing than those idiots.

You're not wrong, but why can't some women do that too? Why must I be told "go make a sandwich" every time I make a valid point about politics in class, even though the boys have barely any idea what an MP is? The view that men have to dominant all aspects of society is archaic, once more.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Gotta love BoJo

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, indeed. With all five of one's knuckles.

BoJo the HoBo
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    BoJo the HoBo
    My uncle had an argument with BoJo on BBC News. BoJo was going around cracking drug dens and my uncle swore that the joint in his mouth wasnt his...xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    My uncle had an argument with BoJo on BBC News. BoJo was going around cracking drug dens and my uncle swore that the joint in his mouth wasnt his...xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was there, and it was my joint
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    I was there, and it was my joint
    You and my 60 year old Uncle? I don't want to begin to imagine the things that went on behind closed doors

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You and my 60 year old Uncle? I don't want to begin to imagine the things that went on behind closed doors

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was always an open door Petros, like my back door.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    It was always an open door Petros, like my back door.
    And that's my cue to leave....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Off to the Houses of Parliament today!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by StatusRed)
    Lucky you!
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I'm going on Friday. Can't wait!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lucky you!

I'm going on Friday. Can't wait!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Saw loads of recognisable faces including George Galloway, Ed Balls, Yvette Cooper, Sarah Champion (she seemed to be everywhere), John Redwood, Norman Tebbit and more

Was pretty cool

And the foood in Portcullis House is ridiculously cheap.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I'm worried I'm moving right
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Right wing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Aph)
    That's not even possible with you.

Saw loads of recognisable faces including George Galloway, Ed Balls, Yvette Cooper, Sarah Champion (she seemed to be everywhere), John Redwood, Norman Tebbit and more

Was pretty cool

Ed Balls is a man I'd like to meet. I want to see if anyone sniggers when his surname is said.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador

Was pretty cool

What time did you go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Right wing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah...
    That's not even possible with you.

Ed Balls is a man I'd like to meet. I want to see if anyone sniggers when his surname is said.
    I've been listening to people say some of the things I might and am horrified by it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Right wing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm probably more centrist in terms of economics, but due to my views on social equality and liberty I appear to be quite the radical. I agree with the sentiment of voluntary trade completely, and wish to see the role of the state reduced to purely social issues rather than economic ones. While anyone would agree that it's best to keep money out of politics, not many agree that politics should be kept out of money. I would also like to see the Trade unions with much more power and have them represent the workforce rather than the government, and would like to see culture and arts be given a much higher priority than it already is.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.