Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Current Year 12 Thread Mark I (2013-2014) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    13 lessons? Are they 1 hour each? Seems excessive..
    (Original post by JackTeh96)
    How come?

It is not late to start now.
    Well I'm not sure if this is how every other school does it, but at my school if you choose to do Maths + FM you get 2 A2s, and you finish A2 Maths in year 12. You spend year 13 doing FM. I think.

And yeah, our lessons are 50 minutes long. But with HL IB Maths I only have 5 lessons a week...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoFreak)
    Is it reasonable of my school to only start the EPQ AFTER easter? :lolwut:
    Isn't there a hand in date around about March? They might be thinking of having you hand it then. That's what my friend is doing (but he's in year 13).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Well I'm not sure if this is how every other school does it, but at my school if you choose to do Maths + FM you get 2 A2s, and you finish A2 Maths in year 12. You spend year 13 doing FM. I think.

And yeah, our lessons are 50 minutes long. But with HL IB Maths I only have 5 lessons a week...
    Maths and F.Maths are separate A Levels, so yeah, that's how every school does it. Mine does AS Maths and F.Maths in Year 12 (it's SO easy :rolleyes:), A2 for both in Year 13.

I only get 5 lessons for Maths per week, my teacher is hopefully pushing for more in Year 13, 5 is pretty low, but your school's A Level class mustn't be doing much else in terms of subjects :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Maths and F.Maths are separate A Levels, so yeah, that's how every school does it. Mine does AS Maths and F.Maths in Year 12 (it's SO easy :rolleyes:), A2 for both in Year 13.

I only get 5 lessons for Maths per week, my teacher is hopefully pushing for more in Year 13, 5 is pretty low, but your school's A Level class mustn't be doing much else in terms of subjects :lolwut:
    Well the A Level Maths and FM Maths people still do two other As... I think some end up with 4 A2s. But people who do Maths and FM don't have that many free periods a week, probably 4-5 which is still one more than most IBers have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Well the A Level Maths and FM Maths people still do two other As... I think some end up with 4 A2s. But people who do Maths and FM don't have that many free periods a week, probably 4-5 which is still one more than most IBers have.
    I do 4 as's and I have five hours for each subject including maths. If you do fm it counts as another five hours. We do an as in further and maths and then both A2 next year if you want to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    How many periods exist in your week? :lolwut: I'm doing 4 subjects on timetable, 5 lessons per week for non-maths, 6 for maths (was mistaken before, not 5), and only 4 free periods. Even if your school day is longer (private school right?), 13 hours per week seems a lot, and excessive.

I think I'm beginning to see why private schools may get "better" results on average :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    How many periods exist in your week? :lolwut: I'm doing 4 subjects on timetable, 5 lessons per week for non-maths, 6 for maths (was mistaken before, not 5), and only 4 free periods. Even if your school day is longer (private school right?), 13 hours per week seems a lot, and excessive.

I think I'm beginning to see why private schools may get "better" results on average :mmm:
    Private school here too, here's how ours works:

4 Options max.

Any lesson (maths or not): 5 hours a week.

We have 5 lessons a day, one hour for each option and a free. That free is where people can opt to do critical thinking/have their language oral lessons/extra curricular/pshe/dofe

So people generally have 2/3 frees a week.

If you do further maths, you do 10 hours of maths (it counts as 2 options) and you finish Maths A2 in a year. And then you do further maths a2 in second year with your two other A2 Levels.

We start at 9, finish at 3:40

5 hours are lessons

ReputationRep:

6 periods per day, each 50 minutes long.
    I only have 4 free periods a week and I have: 5 periods per week per higher level, so 15 periods gone. 3 periods per week per standard level, so 9 periods gone. I have 2 more periods taken up by Theory of Knowledge, so 26 periods worth of lessons.

Also, contribution to this thread I made will be appreciated: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2615536

ReputationRep:
    we start at 8:50, ends at 3:50, eight periods in total, each 35 min

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)

4 Options max.

We have 5 lessons a day, one hour for each option and a free. That free is where people can opt to do critical thinking/have their language oral lessons/extra curricular/pshe/dofe

If you do further maths, you do 10 hours of maths (it counts as 2 options) and you finish Maths A2 in a year. And then you do further maths a2 in second year with your two other A2 Levels.

5 hours are lessons
    I'm at an independent not private but our lessons work the same as fishes, each block is 5 taught hours and fm counts as a block! We are in from 9-415 Monday Tuesday and then 9-3 the rest of the week, I only have two frees, the rest are pew or ucas/uni support

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Futuremedic2096)
    I'm at an independent not private but our lessons work the same as fishes, each block is 5 taught hours and fm counts as a block! We are in from 9-415 Monday Tuesday and then 9-3 the rest of the week, I only have two frees, the rest are pew or ucas/uni support
    What's the difference between independent and private?

ReputationRep:
    we start at 8:50, ends at 3:50, eight periods in total, each 35 min
    35 min periods that's really odd, mine are 75

ReputationRep:
    What's the difference between independent and private?
    It's effectively private, but were all funded by One mega rich guy! So no one pays, it's quite elitist though

ReputationRep:
    It's effectively private, but were all funded by One mega rich guy! So no one pays, it's quite elitist though
    So no one has to pay, someone else pays for you? But it does cost?

That's independent...

Mines private, I just don't pay

ReputationRep:
    So no one has to pay, someone else pays for you? But it does cost?

That's independent...

Mines private, I just don't pay
    I don't know what you'd call it but independent sounds about right! It costs but none of us if that makes sense, someone else pays for all of us, it's awfully peculiar

ReputationRep:

4 Options max.

5 hours are lessons
    That's basically my set up, but one free is replaced with a 6th maths lesson for F.Maths, another lesson for certain other subjects, or PE for everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what you'd call it but independent sounds about right! It costs but none of us if that makes sense, someone else pays for all of us, it's awfully peculiar
    Yeah I get it

That's basically my set up, but one free is replaced with a 6th maths lesson for F.Maths, another lesson for certain other subjects, or PE for everyone else.
    We have compulsory PE session once a week

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I get it

We have games, which is 85 min on Wednesday after lunch.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I get it

We have an optional sports session once a week at a local sports centre we hire, it's an option I don't usually take

ReputationRep:
    We have games, which is 85 min on Wednesday after lunch.
    We have an optional sports session once a week at a local sports centre we hire, it's an option I don't usually take
    If it was optional I'd be more likely to go, nowadays I just don't show up.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.