Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Are there seriously still 16 people who think that the CC is a good idea, are these the same!e people by any chance who still think the wikia and MEU should be things despite their obvious failures?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Sounds like the BMA are working for the tories to make strike action near impossible:

http://tgr.ph/3j7ewM

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nothing in the Telegraph about that
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Nothing in the Telegraph about that
    Striking for money explicitly doesn't happen anymore; striking for money pretending it's about safety will only work for so long, when coupled with the rail strikes clearly under the pretense of safety a rolling strike will be the nail in the coffin

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Silver in the heptaphlon

ReputationRep:
    Striking for money explicitly doesn't happen anymore; striking for money pretending it's about safety will only work for so long, when coupled with the rail strikes clearly under the pretense of safety a rolling strike will be the nail in the coffin

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Once again you've missed the point. Deliberately obviously. While doctors don't want a pay cut (and yes, striking to me to prevent a pay cut is in itself justfied)*

What's far more concerning is that Hunts proposal are totally unfunded, untested and have none of the BMA protections in writing. The early rollouts have been spectacular failures. No one is applying for the Guardianship roles, A+Es have shut down because the govt has promoted them to act independently, not cohesively. Currently overworked doctors cannot fill their current rotas and stretching out them even further is just dangerous. NHSE and NHSI have already encouraged the health service to abandon all of its safety measures to be "cost effective" and now the GMC and the RCR have had NHS employers allocate a Tory shill as head in one and undermined confidence by appointing a non-medic as head of the RCR. If this contract goes through it will destroy the health service.**

ReputationRep:
    Farah took gold. We finished day 8 with less gold than 2012 but up one medal with another 7 pretty likely today (one gold, 2 silver are already guaranteed).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Once again you've missed the point. Deliberately obviously. While doctors don't want a pay cut (and yes, striking to me to prevent a pay cut is in itself justfied)*

What's far more concerning is that Hunts proposal are totally unfunded, untested and have none of the BMA protections in writing. The early rollouts have been spectacular failures. No one is applying for the Guardianship roles, A+Es have shut down because the govt has promoted them to act independently, not cohesively. Currently overworked doctors cannot fill their current rotas and stretching out them even further is just dangerous. NHSE and NHSI have already encouraged the health service to abandon all of its safety measures to be "cost effective" and now the GMC and the RCR have had NHS employers allocate a Tory shill as head in one and undermined confidence by appointing a non-medic as head of the RCR. If this contract goes through it will destroy the health service.**
    So care to explain why it is that when financial concerns were dealt with the BMA completely forgot about the alleged safety concerns and said "yeah, we're fine with this pay" and then emails were leaked basically saying "the safety argument is only there for public support, it's a load of *******s and it's all about pay"

Of course, it's totally safe to have a rolling strike though, and you can tell that May intends to break the BMA rather than cave because she kept Hunt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Farah took gold. We finished day 8 with less gold than 2012 but up one medal with another 7 pretty likely today (one gold, 2 silver are already guaranteed).
    YESSS!!! Even after tripping over in the race, he still gets a gold. What a legend

ReputationRep:
    Greetings from the Edinburgh Fringe. So if you find me posting at strange times of the day,or a gap in my contributions on House business, you know why. I will be remembering to vote as I have just done.

Kate Tempest at the book festival was excellent. Looking forward to Alexei Sayle.

On the matter of the doctors, the stats are suspect for the case for the 7 day NHS as put by Hunt. If you really wanted to make a difference, start with tacking the Friday and Saturday night binge drinking culture. A higher price for alcohol off-sales, no happy hours, and a limit on city centre pub/club licences would be a start.

ReputationRep:
    And consideration payments, AKA a charge for those dumb enough to be needing hospital treatment for their horrible habits. A post-treatment charge obviously, not a pre-treatment charge. With the clear understanding that failure to comply would be met with prosectuion.

ReputationRep:
    Then show us all up and put your flimsy body to the test while opening a dictionary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Again you seem incapable of reading and understanding the most basic of points. I have not said f1 is not difficult nor that it is not challenging, nor that it doesn't require an immense amount of skill. Nor have I said I could do it.

I've said it's not a sport. That's not an insult to it, nor Is it patronising. Why you are so offended by that I'm not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Again you seem incapable of reading and understanding the most basic of points. I have not said f1 is not difficult nor that it is not challenging, nor that it doesn't require an immense amount of skill. Nor have I said I could do it.

I've said it's not a sport. That's not an insult to it, nor Is it patronising. Why you are so offended by that I'm not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is not I that is incapable of reading, nor understanding, you time in time out show your ignorance, sport has a very simple definition, if you want to say something isn't a sport you need to show that it does not fulfil the definition, it's hardly a difficult concept to understand.

Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Tell me, which of the criteria do these "non sports" fail to exhibit. You're either ignorant and ignore the definition of what makes something a sport, or you are ignorant because you do not understand what the sports require, even when told.

ReputationRep:
    It is not I that is incapable of reading, nor understanding, you time in time out show your ignorance, sport has a very simple definition, if you want to say something isn't a sport you need to show that it does not fulfil the definition, it's hardly a difficult concept to understand.

Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Tell me, which of the criteria do these "non sports" fail to exhibit. You're either ignorant and ignore the definition of what makes something a sport, or you are ignorant because you do not understand what the sports require, even when told.
    Where a mechanical engine generates all the speed and power rather than physical exertion, it is not a sport.
    According to your definition a pub quiz would be a sport...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Where a mechanical engine generates all the speed and power rather than physical exertion, it is not a sport.
    According to your definition a pub quiz would be a sport...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pray tell where the physical exertion is in a pub quiz, or is lifting a pen difficult for you? You seem to be implying that the only way for something to be physically exerting is if you are running, so I guess half the Paralympics isn't sport, you know, with them being unable to run or anything.

ReputationRep:
    Pray tell where the physical exertion is in a pub quiz, or is lifting a pen difficult for you? You seem to be implying that the only way for something to be physically exerting is if you are running, so I guess half the Paralympics isn't sport, you know, with them being unable to run or anything.
    Pray tell me where the physical exertion in putting your foot down on a pedal is? That's about equal to lifting a pen.
    No I've not said only if you're running, just rather that there is no mechanical engine generating the speed and power for you. In Paralympics they generate all the speed themselves, rather than relying on a mechanical engine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Pray tell me where the physical exertion in putting your foot down on a pedal is? That's about equal to lifting a pen.
    No I've not said only if you're running, just rather that there is no mechanical engine generating the speed and power for you. In Paralympics they generate all the speed themselves, rather than relying on a mechanical engine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You may be unaware of these things called "g-froces" as a measure of acceleration, when you go around a corner quickly you experience lateral g forces, it's the reason why going round a corner in a car makes you lean out of the corner, now, when you go quicker these become bigger. Now, you can do one of two things, just let them throw you about, specifically your head when your torso is strapped in tight, or you can fight against it. Now, I challenge you to go get a big heavy book (or something else heavy) a few times the weight of your head, attach it to your head while laying down so it hangs on one side, and see how long you can hold it up for because your neck gives in, I wager not very long.

Again, there can be physical exertion without it directly leading to movement.

Get on the back of a horse and get somebody to make it gallop off into the sunset, I would like to see how tightly you try to clamp on and then how long it takes for your legs not to be able to take it and for you to fall off, or even easier and more pleasurable, just go sleep with some riders.

How did I guess the ignorance would be falling into the second category of "I have no idea what physicality is required for these things"

ReputationRep:
    So care to explain why it is that when financial concerns were dealt with the BMA completely forgot about the alleged safety concerns and said "yeah, we're fine with this pay" and then emails were leaked basically saying "the safety argument is only there for public support, it's a load of *******s and it's all about pay"

Of course, it's totally safe to have a rolling strike though, and you can tell that May intends to break the BMA rather than cave because she kept Hunt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Financial concerns have never been dealt with, Johann didn't want anymore strikes and didn't think he could get anymore out of negotiations with Hunt. You're right that some junior doctors saw pay as the major concern, based on their specialty (A+E presumably) they realised how significant their pay cut was. Some (few) specialties benefit financially from the new contract, some of their members have objected to the strike because they'd actually earn more on the new contract, shock horror, they prefer to not strike and keep their pay.

I have good news here, if you're right, in which case, the health service is well funded, well staffed and well covered, based on how BMA strikes operate, adequate warning is given so Trusts can rota in cover. Now, if all these Trotskyite rumours are true, where safe staffing ratios have been disregarded, slots are going unfilled, permanent positions slashed, private company interference rising, then that WOULD be problematic and I could agree. HOWEVER, since the Tories are doing such a tip top non-ideological job of running the health service, everythings fab, I'm being paranoid and there's not a problem.

Hunt's disposable though, it's a different dynamic since I had expected the BMA to cave, now I'm not so sure, Hunt is disposable so, if the strikes are politically damaging all she has to do is sack him and the JD will be ecstatic to meet his replacement.

ReputationRep:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    This smells and awful lot like bait to use to go and cry to the CT and mods.

ReputationRep:
    This smells and awful lot like bait to use to go and cry to the CT and mods.
    Clearly you don't know me very well - safe to say I don't have the best relationship with the CT and I'm not a fan of censorship.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.