Is Scottish independence a 'good or bad' thing? Watch

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?
YES (299)
32.12%
NO (632)
67.88%
This discussion is closed.
E-wan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...max-referendum

Devo max is a tricky one . That impacts the whole of the UK so it should be a UK wide decision.

Like it or not , Salmond can't stamp his feet and demand things. He can only go for an in out referendum.
That makes for a very interesting argument. Good find.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by shinyroof43)
Oh, that's what you meant

I would hardly say its a minority view point, with the polls tightening
The polls shifted marginally but have stayed remarkably stable since.
Attached files
Midlander
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
OF COURSE they matter, why else would I be giving them. I was just making a different point other than statistics.

And also, numbers can be spun in lots of different ways, so don't say that you've proven me wrong - because you haven't
Generally the 'revenue contributed' versus 'revenue received' figures can only be interpreted in one way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by E-wan)
That makes for a very interesting argument. Good find.
The devo max option from the SNPs perspective is to remain financed by others whilst simultaneously competing financially against them.

I.e Salmonds after Edinburgh competing with London in financial services, keeping the money when things are going well, but expecting the UK taxpayer to bail us out when it goes wrong.

There's still substantial finial levers that Holyrood has, but has chosen not to use even though they were devolved years ago.
Studentus-anonymous
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Midlander)
The Queen is the epitomy of social inequality-she has no place in a meritocratic society.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That'd hold if she actually held any power or unfair position over you, but since you're already free to either make your fortune or become PM, MP or a high court judge (where actual power in the UK is) your point is mostly hollow ideological rhetoric.

I can live with a dynastic figurehead since it inconveniences me none and brings the UK more benefit then another leadership position for a career politician ever would. No-one would pay to visit the British Presidential Palace after all.

But off-topic, I apologize.
If Scotland did go independent remaining part of the commonwealth is probably one of the few SNP points it could pull off, though with the damage to the UK that Scotland's split would cause there is no guarantee the monarchy would survive the upheaval down south anyway.
Studentus-anonymous
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by E-wan)
But that only accounts for 1.4bn of our economy.

How do you suggest that other countries maintain a financial sector without using sterling?

The way I see it is faslane will be used as a bargaining chip for us to use the pound.

My stance on independence (I'm a scottish citizen) I would have preferred an devo max option on the ballot paper but unfortunately David Cameron being cocky decided on a yes or no vote only making me sway to voting yes in september.
Except the UK won't budge on the issue (it's actually quite ludicrous for a sovereign nation to 'demand' it gets currency union and any other country would be utterly retarded to cave in to such petty tantrums) and Faslane isn't nearly as important as the SNP might think it is, the subs will go south.

Also it conflicts with SNP's anti-nuclear policy. UK only wants Faslane for it's nuclear deterrent. SNP (and independent Scotland) won't allow it. Then again it's what Salmond is most committed to, the economy or nuclear disarmament.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
That'd hold if she actually held any power or unfair position over you, but since you're already free to either make your fortune or become PM, MP or a high court judge (where actual power in the UK is) your point is mostly hollow ideological rhetoric.

I can live with a dynastic figurehead since it inconveniences me none and brings the UK more benefit then another leadership position for a career politician ever would. No-one would pay to visit the British Presidential Palace after all.

But off-topic, I apologize.
If Scotland did go independent remaining part of the commonwealth is probably one of the few SNP points it could pull off, though with the damage to the UK that Scotland's split would cause there is no guarantee the monarchy would survive the upheaval down south anyway.
She receives vast wealth, privilege and status for being a Windsor. You have no problem with that but I do. The tourism argument is bogus and you can't go inside the palace anyway so there really is no rationale. It is a disgrace that a monarchy still exists in this day and age.

Posted from TSR Mobile
babybuntin
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh, that's what you meant

I would hardly say its a minority view point, with the polls tightening
what's the polls saying shiny?

l'm voting aye lol
babybuntin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Queen? sod that.. I cannot see Scotland keeping her. That's one broken promise I hope Salmond does break. Don't try and lumber us with her just cos the UK won't be able to afford to fund her any longer hahahaha
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by babybuntin)
The Queen? sod that.. I cannot see Scotland keeping her. That's one broken promise I hope Salmond does break. Don't try and lumber us with her just cos the UK won't be able to afford to fund her any longer hahahaha
We can't afford to fund somebody because we'd have lost a loss making nation? How deluded are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
babybuntin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We can't afford to fund somebody because we'd have lost a loss making nation? How deluded are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
you'll be flat on your ass.. what are you going to fund her with? what have you got. last night you were claiming to be Scottish lol
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
you'll be flat on your ass.. what are you going to fund her with? what have you got. last night you were claiming to be Scottish lol
I did no such thing. Explain how RUK will be broke without Scotland.

Posted from TSR Mobile
babybuntin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did no such thing. Explain how RUK will be broke without Scotland.

Posted from TSR Mobile
simple, you'll have to enlighten me what you have lol

all l see is a scared man running around this forum trying to bully Scots into voting No by being insulting. What are you afraid of?
If Scotland make a mistake voting YES then that's our problem. What on earth are you worrying yourself about?

if England was to vote to keep Scotland lol l bet that would be an overwhelming YES vote.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
simple, you'll have to enlighten me what you have lol

all l see is a scared man running around this forum trying to bully Scots into voting No by being insulting. What are you afraid of?
If Scotland make a mistake voting YES then that's our problem. What on earth are you worrying yourself about?

if England was to vote to keep Scotland lol l bet that would be an overwhelming YES vote.
I live and work in Scotland so the outcome of the vote is somewhat important to me. Scotland runs at a loss and contributes less than 10% of the UK's income so I think RUK can manage just fine.

Also England isn't the only other constituent state.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Salmonds keeping very few promises he's made.
babybuntin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I live and work in Scotland so the outcome of the vote is somewhat important to me. Scotland runs at a loss and contributes less than 10% of the UK's income so I think RUK can manage just fine.

Also England isn't the only other constituent state.

Posted from TSR Mobile
can't you get a job south of the border?
l'm sure we won't throw you out if it's a yes vote.
if you do live and work in Scotland as you claim, then you'll be well aware no one here is making a big deal about his independence , except you of course.
well if we run at a loss you've got nothing to worry about, it's our loss not yours. we run at a loss cos of the idiots you lot south of the border voted in. They're to busy stealing our profits.

"London is a giant suction machine

draining the life out of the rest of

the country."
babybuntin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Salmonds keeping very few promises he's made.
she's No1 l hope hahaha l think it's hilarious
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
can't you get a job south of the border?
l'm sure we won't throw you out if it's a yes vote.
if you do live and work in Scotland as you claim, then you'll be well aware no one here is making a big deal about his independence , except you of course.
well if we run at a loss you've got nothing to worry about, it's our loss not yours. we run at a loss cos of the idiots you lot south of the border voted in. They're to busy stealing our profits.

"London is a giant suction machine

draining the life out of the rest of

the country."
Does anti English rhetoric make you feel better? I'm English and voted Labour. Go figure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
babybuntin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Does anti English rhetoric make you feel better? I'm English and voted Labour. Go figure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
is that your war cry all the time? is that the best you can come up with?

You make out you're the victim all the time and retaliate by making claims people who stand up to you are anti English

l won't stoop so low as to insult you cos l'm better than that
and l will still be voting AYE lol
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
is that your war cry all the time? is that the best you can come up with?

You make out you're the victim all the time and retaliate by making claims people who stand up to you are anti English

l won't stoop so low as to insult you cos l'm better than that
and l will still be voting AYE lol
Read what you wrote and say how it isn't Anglophobic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (82)
67.77%
No I haven't decided yet (23)
19.01%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
13.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed