Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    We've been dominant since he came into the team so all he's really had to do is go through the motions with no mistakes. But he's very very far away from being CL quality never mind title winning quality. He's been getting away with murder from crosses as well with the way he punches and finds himself in no mans land 4 inches shorter than attackers.

Szczesny is a much more talented goal-keeper in terms of ability but he's cost us points with his mentality and lack of focus. Still, glad he's in for the Cup final tbh because you can see Ospina getting raped by Benteke all day long.

Personally I prefer a talented loose canon of a GK to an average GK. Always back a Jens Lehmann type over an Ospina
    100% agree with everything you've said, stats can be very deceptive, especially when your introduction as keeper is at the same time as Ozil, Kosc, Rambo coming back from injury (and Giroud and Cazorla hitting form).

There may not a be a worry when the ball is passed back to him, but he's hopeless with crosses because of his size. I'd say GK is almost more important than ST for us right now tbh, we have midfielders who will contributed 40 odd goals a season combined, we don't really have defenders who can help a GK who can't save a tame header that 2 feet away from him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    100% agree with everything you've said, stats can be very deceptive, especially when your introduction as keeper is at the same time as Ozil, Kosc, Rambo coming back from injury (and Giroud and Cazorla hitting form).

There may not a be a worry when the ball is passed back to him, but he's hopeless with crosses because of his size. I'd say GK is almost more important than ST for us right now tbh, we have midfielders who will contributed 40 odd goals a season combined, we don't really have defenders who can help a GK who can't save a tame header that 2 feet away from him.
    We seem to have a weakness with these kinds of goals. Rooney at OT, Swansea x2, Stoke, Skertl at Anfield, Harry Kane etc are just some from this season. Our defenders dont seem to attack the ball with crosses at all. Mertesacker for example it fine when the ball comes up the field at him but with crosses from the side he seems rooted to the spot. Koscielny's seems to focus more on spacial marking etc as well. Tbf Gabriel has looked aggressive and quite promising in that department so idk if we'll improve. We're much worse this season at that without Sagna, who was very good at tucking in and heading away. Bellerin may as well not be on the pitch with crosses though tbh. Debuchy not much better.

Arsenal actually rarely concede goals played straight through in open play. If I was Villa for the cup final I'd have an all out arial bombardment up to Benteke.

ReputationRep:
    It's embarrassing and 100% true, people ****ging off Ramsey when he's scored and assisted 7 in his last 6 before last night and is playing out of position and people go in on him. Same with Giroud and Mert (Mert didn't make 1 mistake last night yet everyone ****ging him off).

They get scapegoated more than Nick Clegg and the Lib Dems on uni fees ffs.
    It's not even just the manager that this happens for. I get that fans of all teams will be fickle and hate one player one minute then love him the next, but when Welbeck signed there was no inbetween for your fanbase. They literally went from ****ging him offside the Emirates at 9pm on Deadline Day, to praising him and saying he was their saviour the minute the deal was announced. Every club has fans guilty of this, but unfortuanetly Arsenal seem to be more prone to this than most others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    It's not even just the manager that this happens for. I get that fans of all teams will be fickle and hate one player one minute then love him the next, but when Welbeck signed there was no inbetween for your fanbase. They literally went from ****ging him offside the Emirates at 9pm on Deadline Day, to praising him and saying he was their saviour the minute the deal was announced. Every club has fans guilty of this, but unfortuanetly Arsenal seem to be more prone to this than most others.
    I found a fun game of searching up on Google Trends "#WengerOut", and seeing when search traffic peaked and what game the on that day.

It only started in 2010, but since then there's been 8 peaks, gradually getting bigger each time. Reached it's peak when we lost away to Stoke by some distance, and has dropped off massively since then.

https://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore#q=wenger%20out

ReputationRep:
    Seem to remember it being initial confusion and disappointment that we went for Welbeck to recognition that all things considered it was a worthwhile deal and an improvement on what we had. In my opinion Welbeck is a useful workhorse and a bit different to what we have. He's the kind of player Morinho has used his entire career really and it's something we've been lacking. But we really need a goalscorer in too

I would agree that Arsenal fans are quite fickle in general but it does confuse me when people think that fans go from WOB to AKB from week to week. What happens is one lot stay quiet when we're winning and the other when we're losing, obviously. It's just that the division in the fanbase is much more entrenched and often-time partisan at Arsenal because Wengs has been here 20 years.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that Bafetimbi Gomis always scores against us? Drogba I can understand, Adebayor too, but Gomis? Ospina should be taken out the back of the training ground and shot.

ReputationRep:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Heading back to 4th boys!

ReputationRep:
    As Zurich's said the problem with the Welbeck signing was the role he was meant to play in the club wasn't clarified. At the time, we had no Giroud, no Walcott, no striker, leading many to see his short term and long term role as a striker. Add in the fact we missed out on Falcao (a good thing in hindsight, but at the time a disaster to many fans when you look at status), and the fact Wengs wasn't even in the country because he was reffing a game sponsored by some kiddie-fiddling ring (a.k.a the Catholic Church)), and it looked like a complete **** up and not what the fans wanted.

People started the Wele thing as a piss take, and then he goes and scores a hat-trick vs Gala in cl and everyone's banterful praise suddenly became serious. Then after a dismal 6 months people have gone back to realising what he actually is, a workhorse who is a 10 goal a season player at best and isn't what the club is shouting out for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Why is it that Bafetimbi Gomis always scores against us? Drogba I can understand, Adebayor too, but Gomis? Ospina should be taken out the back of the training ground and shot.

:confused::confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Seem to remember it being initial confusion and disappointment that we went for Welbeck to recognition that all things considered it was a worthwhile deal and an improvement on what we had. In my opinion Welbeck is a useful workhorse and a bit different to what we have. He's the kind of player Morinho has used his entire career really and it's something we've been lacking. But we really need a goalscorer in too

I would agree that Arsenal fans are quite fickle in general but it does confuse me when people think that fans go from WOB to AKB from week to week. What happens is one lot stay quiet when we're winning and the other when we're losing, obviously. It's just that the division in the fanbase is much more entrenched and often-time partisan at Arsenal because Wengs has been here 20 years.
    Yeah I guess that's the thing about having such an obviously divided fanbase, and tbf most big clubs have had that at some point or another in the last 5/6 years. United had it with Moyes which was just hilarious, Liverpool back with King Kenny, when Torres left, and when it was clear to just about everyone bar Brendan Rodgers that they needed to learn to defend earlier this season.

Don't think there's really been a point with that since Jose came back to Stamford Bridge, certainly nowhere near the Arsenal levels of the Villa or Monaco defeats - and although the Benitez bashing was pretty bad at least it was the one thing all our fans seemed to agree on. I would say City have had that, but there doesn't actually seem to be any around so we would never know.

Swear the only time I've actually seen all of you actually agreeing with each other was like the two days after the FA Cup win last year.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, he's so **** he'd probably miss the bullet...

ReputationRep:
    As Zurich's said the problem with the Welbeck signing was the role he was meant to play in the club wasn't clarified. At the time, we had no Giroud, no Walcott, no striker, leading many to see his short term and long term role as a striker. Add in the fact we missed out on Falcao (a good thing in hindsight, but at the time a disaster to many fans when you look at status), and the fact Wengs wasn't even in the country because he was reffing a game sponsored by some kiddie-fiddling ring (a.k.a the Catholic Church)), and it looked like a complete **** up and not what the fans wanted.

People started the Wele thing as a piss take, and then he goes and scores a hat-trick vs Gala in cl and everyone's banterful praise suddenly became serious. Then after a dismal 6 months people have gone back to realising what he actually is, a workhorse who is a 10 goal a season player at best and isn't what the club is shouting out for

No it was pretty clear without confusion he was brought in as a striker because Giroud had just suffered an injury after the Everton game. I highly doubt Welbeck was bought to be used as a midfielder and it's only because of how poor and useless he's been upfront that Wengers had to put him makeshift on the LW.

10 goals in the league would be an achievement for Welbeck, otherwise he's on 4 which is ****ing poor. Most of our midfielders have more goals to there names which says more then enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RA95)
    :confused::confused::confused:
    I'm sorry, is there any part of that irrational and hyperbolic statement you misunderstood?

Meh, he's so **** he'd probably miss the bullet...
    Nah, he'd dig the bullet out of his head and claim that he hadn't been shot and that the bullet hadn't gone in.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I guess that's the thing about having such an obviously divided fanbase, and tbf most big clubs have had that at some point or another in the last 5/6 years. United had it with Moyes which was just hilarious, Liverpool back with King Kenny, when Torres left, and when it was clear to just about everyone bar Brendan Rodgers that they needed to learn to defend earlier this season.

Don't think there's really been a point with that since Jose came back to Stamford Bridge, certainly nowhere near the Arsenal levels of the Villa or Monaco defeats - and although the Benitez bashing was pretty bad at least it was the one thing all our fans seemed to agree on. I would say City have had that, but there doesn't actually seem to be any around so we would never know.

Swear the only time I've actually seen all of you actually agreeing with each other was like the two days after the FA Cup win last year.
    Ahh, but Jose is the king of deflecting failure, the majority of fans and the media ate up the whole "little horse", "in transition", "not title contenders" bull**** which meant when he did **** up and you didn't win the league, no one turned on him. Compare that to Wengs who will dig his own grave and even admit to missing out on big name transfers from 10 years ago on a regular basis and it's no surprise there's a bigger response.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, is there any part of that irrational and hyperbolic statement you misunderstood?
    Or you fail to realise it's a pretty scummy thing to say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RA95)
    No it was pretty clear without confusion he was brought in as a striker because Giroud had just suffered an injury after the Everton game. I highly doubt Welbeck was bought to be used as a midfielder and it's only because of how poor and useless he's been upfront that Wengers had to put him makeshift on the LW.

10 goals in the league would be an achievement for Welbeck, otherwise he's on 4 which is ****ing poor. Most of our midfielders have more goals to there names which says more then enough
    Maybe, tbh I think 90% of it was fans rejoicing in signing a rival's player rather than the other way round, until they realised he was a dud

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuyReturns)
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Heading back to 4th boys!
    Are we? Even if we lose at Old Trafford(and I think we will) weve got 2 home games vs Sunderland and West Brom from which we'll need 4 points to pretty much guarantee 3rd at least.

2nd/3rd makes no difference at all. Only thing that matters now is the Cup final

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, but Jose is the king of deflecting failure, the majority of fans and the media ate up the whole "little horse", "in transition", "not title contenders" bull**** which meant when he did **** up and you didn't win the league, no one turned on him. Compare that to Wengs who will dig his own grave and even admit to missing out on big name transfers from 10 years ago on a regular basis and it's no surprise there's a bigger response.
    This highlights your blatant stupidly. The little horse thing was clearly not bull**** as you've described it and the media and fans who know anything about football accepted it correctly. When your strike force is a past it Torres and 45 year old Eto'o and Ba then you're never favourites against City or an SAS inspired Liverpool. Jose explicitly said at the start of this season that he'd win the league and he has, by a large margin. His transition statement has proven true, as shown by the league table. Difference is Wenger brings excuses to the table and never delivers on them, Jose does. Simples.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, tbh I think 90% of it was fans rejoicing in signing a rival's player rather than the other way round, until they realised he was a dud

Nope everyone was saying UTD only sell their **** players and were comparing him to Silvestre

The idea was that for £16m it wouldn't be a major loss/risk if he fold out nicely. Considering he's English and would have scope to improve under Wenger but so far this season I'm still not convinced he should be anywhere near the club.

ReputationRep:
    Where do most people stand on this thread? Wenger in or out? And how many of you actually think Wenger is going to win a title before his contract expires..

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.