Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Method's the most famous, which is why people seem to jump on him the most.

ReputationRep:
    Top 5 albums?

Illmatic
    Capital Punishment
    Liquid Swords
    Follow The Leader
    BOTB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rk2k14)
    Top 5 albums?

Illmatic
    Capital Punishment
    Liquid Swords
    Follow The Leader
    BOTB
    Just lol you didn't even know what Capital Punishment was when I mentioned it months ago and now it's in a top 5

ReputationRep:
    lol'd at seeing Ice Cube and Kendrick in the same sentence

ReputationRep:
    Lol'd at seeing J Cole in a top 5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)
    Just lol you didn't even know what Capital Punishment was when I mentioned it months ago and now it's in a top 5
    You didnt mention **** puta.

ReputationRep:
    Saw a list with Tribe and De La Soul, and no Gang Starr. Wut.

ReputationRep:
    You didnt mention **** puta.
    oh rli

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...n#post66914456

ReputationRep:
    My responses to you when asked about thoughts are automated.

"No Thoughts".

ReputationRep:
    Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
    Outkast - ATLiens
    GZA - Liquid Swords
    Dr. Dre - The Chronic
    Nas - Illmatic

ReputationRep:
    My responses to you when asked about thoughts are automated.

"No Thoughts".
    strong lies.

look one post above.

Fraud.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not even that big into or knowledgeable about rap but imagine putting j cole in the same sentence as biggie, nas, tupac, em and jay z

ReputationRep:
    Jessica Sipos>>>

ReputationRep:
    RK subject change appreciation post

ReputationRep:
    Wilfred Little

Why no appreciation for Jay Z.

Boat dock in front of Hermes picking cotton,
    Silk and fleeces, lay on my Jesus,
    Oh my God, I hope y'all don't get seasick

Hermes was an Olympian God in Greek mythology. Among his many specialties, (including poetry) Hermes was a God of transitions and boundaries. As discussed by Jay himself, this song explores the transition of a passageway for slave transport into a bed rest of yachting–luxury and excess.

Hermès is also a prominent French quality goods manufacturer known for their luxury items in perfume, clothing, and home decor. Jay-Z is in the Hermes store picking out clothes (cotton), very expensive clothes at that, while also alluding to the African American slaves who used to work on the cotton fields.

For students of mythology, the word “fleece” will instantly bring to mind the golden fleece. The hero Jason has to retrieve the golden fleece from the claws of an immense dragon in order to regain his rightful place as ruler. In some versions, the goddess Atalanta travels on Jason’s ship, the Argo, as the only female member of the crew. This ties the mythology back to the mention of Atalanta (the “sailing lady” with “ivory”) in the first line of Frank’s hook.

Hov mentions Jesus in the next line, a reference to a Jesus piece, but also to the Christian Lord, who is referred to as the lamb of god because he, like a sacrificial lamb, gave his life for the sins of Christian believers.

Without going into too much depth, there are also a number of secret societies that use the imagery of fleece and wool, including the Order of the Golden Fleece and the Freemasons. Given the many plausible references to secret history in the song

In order to get to the West cotton picking to produce silk, fleeces and slavery, African american’s ancestors were piled on top of the slave ship called “Jesus”. Jesus was the name of the 1st slave ship to hit the West.

This is a play on the homophone of sea and see:
    -In a literal sense, with all of these aquatic references, Jay hopes that you don’t become seasick.
    -According to Jay, with his wealth on display in the form of clothes, cards and jewellery, he hopes you that you don’t become jealous of what you see, therefore becoming “see sick”.

Jay explains the meaning behind the song. “It sounds like a celebration of where we are now on some big yacht, throwing champagne in the water,” he tells Rick Rubin. “But the undertow of the thing is that this is the same water that brought us here originally as slaves, so it has this whole duality and even how we re-write history, the stories we were told about the history of America.”

ReputationRep:
    Because he isn't very good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Because he isn't very good.
    Fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    My favourite part was the logical reasoning tbh.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of success you have to tip your hat off to him.

But if you compare his ability with the other GOAT's in terms of music then like Wilf said, he isn't very good.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.