Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Think some of the criticism levelled at Welbeck comes from failing to understand what his M.O. is really. He'll run all day long, presses very well, is physically strong, can run the channels and likes a big game too. If you expect him to be a ruthless finisher or good at linking up then of course you're going to be disappointed. His goal at OT looked like just luck but that comes from chasing lost causes and Welbeck did that. But of course he's not good enough to play ST for us at all and we should look to bring in someone soon.

Fergie always loved him and trusted him in big games so that's a decent reference imo. We've lacked players like that as I said. How many times have we gone down to sides full or Park ji-Sungs or Rameires types? It's good to have someone like Welbeck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RA95)
    Nope everyone was saying UTD only sell their **** players and were comparing him to Silvestre

The idea was that for £16m it wouldn't be a major loss/risk if he fold out nicely. Considering he's English and would have scope to improve under Wenger but so far this season I'm still not convinced he should be anywhere near the club.
    I don't know, a lot, and I mean A LOT of fans saw Welbeck more as a symbolic transfer of us taking a player off United rather than a good one (same with Ozil to an extent, he wasn't what we needed, but was a sign we could finally fund big signings).

He's not a big risk, but he shouldn't be playing for us, tbh I feel like we should cash in this summer. £15mil plus him for Benteke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RA95)
    Where do most people stand on this thread? Wenger in or out? And how many of you actually think Wenger is going to win a title before his contract expires..
    I'm Wenger in, guy should be rewarded for life and I think the club should reward him this summer with two brand new number 10s, Mata and Coutinho maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Depleted)
    I'm Wenger in, guy should be rewarded for life and I think the club should reward him this summer with two brand new number 10s, Mata and Coutinho maybe?
    Add in Isco and Silva and we've got a real chance for the title

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RA95)
    Or you fail to realise it's a pretty scummy thing to say?
    I didn't fail to realise that, but I said it anyway. What's it to you?

Also, if you're AR, then I thought you requested a ban?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    I didn't fail to realise that, but I said it anyway. What's it to you?

Also, if you're AR, then I thought you requested a ban?

Forum is addictive init

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    I don't know, a lot, and I mean A LOT of fans saw Welbeck more as a symbolic transfer of us taking a player off United rather than a good one (same with Ozil to an extent, he wasn't what we needed, but was a sign we could finally fund big signings).

He's not a big risk, but he shouldn't be playing for us, tbh I feel like we should cash in this summer. £15mil plus him for Benteke
    We probably took the worst United striker, if it's symbolic, then it's a pretty crap symbol (that being said, I support Dat Guy, and think he'll come good).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RA95)
    Forum is addictive init
    Fair point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Depleted)
    This highlights your blatant stupidly. The little horse thing was clearly not bull**** as you've described it and the media and fans who know anything about football accepted it correctly. When your strike force is a past it Torres and 45 year old Eto'o and Ba then you're never favourites against City or an SAS inspired Liverpool. Jose explicitly said at the start of this season that he'd win the league and he has, by a large margin. His transition statement has proven true, as shown by the league table. Difference is Wenger brings excuses to the table and never delivers on them, Jose does. Simples.
    So Jose inherited the best defence in the country by miles, the likes of Hazard/Oscar in midfield and then goes out and buys Costa £35m, Fabregas £30m, Matic £25m, Luis £16m, Remy £10m, Zouma £12m, Cuadrado £25m and also gets Coutois in too.

And he wins the title at the second attempt because City absolutely collapsed.

What a manager! Cant believe he pulled that feat off in such difficult circumstances!

Considering the talent he's had at his disposal since 2010, I dont think 2 titles and absolutely nothing in the CL is worth shouting about myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RA95)
    Where do most people stand on this thread? Wenger in or out? And how many of you actually think Wenger is going to win a title before his contract expires..
    he won't, his players will F up when it matters like I said, if not they'd be doing what Atletico were doing regardless of manager

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Think some of the criticism levelled at Welbeck comes from failing to understand what his M.O. is really. He'll run all day long, presses very well, is physically strong, can run the channels and likes a big game too. If you expect him to be a ruthless finisher or good at linking up then of course you're going to be disappointed.

Fergie always loved him and trusted him in big games so that's a decent reference imo.

What part of that makes him any more unique or stand out from the countless amounts of subpar players in this league (subpar for Arsenal at least) e.g the dross who will play for your West Hams, Swansea's or if we really want to go there then Championship sides where players run around tirelessly end to end (as we saw vs Reading) but deliver absolutely no end product whatsoever?

I'm all for developing young players, who actually show they have the potential to have magnificent break out seasons just like Ramsey did. You've got your Ramsey's/Wilshere's/AOC's who all show or have shown in the past that given time they'll be great players for the side but Welbeck in no way falls into the same category, and not to forget that he's going to be 25 this year so I don't see why we should hinder our selves by wasting time on said players, where we could probably use or develop better players out there for around £20-25m odd (hardly a leap from the £16m).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    So Jose inherited the best defence in the country by miles, the likes of Hazard/Oscar in midfield and then goes out and buys Costa £35m, Fabregas £30m, Matic £25m, Luis £16m, Remy £10m, Zouma £12m, Cuadrado £25m and also gets Coutois in too.

And he wins the title at the second attempt because City absolutely collapsed.

What a manager! Cant believe he pulled that off!
    you forgot he sold a ****load of deadwood in order to fund his purchases

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    he won't, his players will F up when it matters like I said, if not they'd be doing what Atletico were doing regardless of manager

Yep I agree I think I tried to make the point earlier that it doesn't matter who we sign or what players we have, that Wenger is inept tactically and won't win us the title.

I mean a squad full of your Cazorla's, Sanchez's, Ozils losing to the likes of ****ing Shelvey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    you forgot he sold a ****load of deadwood in order to fund his purchases
    How is that Mourinho's doing? PSG had a complete shocker and handed him £50m but that's pure luck isnt it?

Story of Mourinho's Chelsea career is inheriting title winning quality players and/or being handed £100m every window to bring more in.

The guy is a bit of a fraud imo

ReputationRep:
    Getting £80mil for Luiz and Lukaku is daylight robbery tbf, hope Chelsea's negotiators got paid a ****load for managing that

ReputationRep:
    Getting £80mil for Luiz and Lukaku is daylight robbery tbf, hope Chelsea's negotiators got paid a ****load for managing that
    Nah mate that was all Mourinho's doing, he pays his own way innit

ReputationRep:

would not be the slightest bit surprised if Abramovic bribed the clubs on the side giving them the money, so that it could be returned back to Chelsea in order to fund said said signings without breaking FFP

madness

ReputationRep:
    Someone wanna make the next Arsenal thread? I made the previous two before this one..

Leinad im looking at u since Acorns isn't around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RA95)
    would not be the slightest bit surprised if Abramovic bribed the clubs on the side giving them the money, so that it could be returned back to Chelsea in order to fund said said signings without breaking FFP

madness
    Meh, I've given up caring, City have 4 clubs, PSG let their owners sponsor their stadium for half a bil, FIFA is corrupt as ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RA95)
    Someone wanna make the next Arsenal thread? I made the previous two before this one..

Leinad im looking at u since Acorns isn't around.

Will do, but only if I don't have to edit the starting bit for a few weeks.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.